Heater not working - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Problems & Dealer Service Having a problem with your truck? Dealer service got you down? Let us know here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Heater not working

I've been looking through threads about all the heater problems and I'm stumped. I noticed on a recent trip that my heater was no longer blowing warm air. I don't know how long it's been this way since it's the first time in months I've had to use it. I've checked the control valve (the one by the battery that lets the coolant through) and it's working fine (I even took out the plastic piece and turned it by hand) and the outgoing hose is hot as well. I attempted a flush of the cooling system but I'm not sure if it was successful, I ran the truck for about 3 minutes with the radiator cap off. Earlier this year I also replaced the variable blower control motor (fan was stuck on high) and I also had another stereo installed this summer. I don't know if the heater was broken prior to either one of those events. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

2006 2wd Crew Cab XE, 2.5" PRG Spacer, 315/70-17 Hankook Dynapro MT, 4" CST Spindle, 2" blocks in rear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 09:04 AM

Re: Heater not working

I had similar symptoms in my Armada, and inbound hose to valve was hot, outbound through bulkhead into passenger compartment was warmish and could be mistaken for hot unless you reach right into bulkhead to feel.

Went to use heat in the cooler months and no hot air, wasn't sure when it stopped working.

Turned out it was airlock somewhere in cooling system. There is probably a documented fix for clearing airlocks from Nissan if you can hunt it down.

To fix for myself, I opened overflow when cold, removed Rad cap, turned inside air controls to full hot, and ran truck.
Added water until overflow bottle was overflowing - in doing so, every now and then the fluid would surge out of main rad cap hole, I just kept going and squeezing top rad hose till overflow was full.
I then caped radiator and let it all come fully up to temp, continued to squeeze hose for a while and checked inside till it blew hot - whole thing took nearly 10 mins.

Once it was blowing hot, I carefully took Rad cap back off and reved gently a few times to expel fluid until overflow dropped back to fill level, sealed everything off with the caps and carefully hosed down all spilt fluid in engine bay.

It didn't take a huge amount of water, and I'm in FL - if you are up north you probably want to pay closer attention to antifreeze level or even top off with pure antifreeze ?

Hope this helps - I was looking at dash strip down and wasn't looking forward to it - Stealership indicated valve was likely the issue ($150 plus labor), but I didn't buy into that as I had previously removed the internal cog and turned manually to no avail, I'm sure they would have been stripping out the dash and printing the invoices for me for a while before they flushed and said they had found it - just my opinion, but they are not called stealership for nothing ;-)

Good Luck !
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 11:22 AM

Re: Heater not working

is the vehicle warming up to normal operating temperature? is it blowing air from the vents and its just not warm? does the air coming from the vents get warmer when you hold the vehicle at a higher rpm for a minute or so?
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 01:09 AM

I also had the same problem with my 04 titan se and I found a little crack on bottom of rad replaced the rad and it works fine now. Crack started out small enough to where I didn't notice a leak but got worse.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

2004 Nissan Titan
-flowmaster super 10
-6 inch rough country lift
-bilstien 5100s
-full one piece billet upper and lower
-Volant CAI
-Custom Motor Cover
-5k hids head lights and fogs
-blue led bulbs for high beam (longshot lighting)
-more to come

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top