Has anyone ever bent an axle shaft? - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Problems & Dealer Service Having a problem with your truck? Dealer service got you down? Let us know here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 06:40 AM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Has anyone ever bent an axle shaft?

[FONT=Arial]undefined[/FONT][SIZE=7]undefined[/SIZE]undefined
I took my 10 mounth old 15000 mile 4x4 titan to the dealer yesterday because the rear tires were vibrating while braking. The dealer performed a brake job and the problem was still there. After removing the rear rotors and puting the vehicle in drive the nissan tech. told me that i have bent axle shafts and it would cost me $900 to fix it. i asked him to inspect the problem further and the only thing he could tell me was that it would cost me $120 just to remove the diff cover. now i know (as posted i this web site) that the nissan dana 44 has been problematic but has anyone out there ever have this problem where the axle shafts are bent? I am also running an aluminum alloy wheel. I would think that the weaker wheel would bend and or break before the axle would. I also asked nissan if this could be covered under warranty and the tech told me that the axle had been impacted at certin "impact" points on the truck. one on the top of the axle housing where the bump stop had hit and another at the rear bumper. what this has to do with warranty i dont know. He also told me that the warranty could be void because i took the vehicle (a 4x4 ) "off road" and that i had abused it, even though the truck is in perfect condition. If anyone out there has had this problem or has some recomendation what i shold do next please let me know. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 07:56 AM

Location: Black Mountain, N.C. with the mountains and winding roads = FUN!!!
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to honeykeeper
Angry

Hey welcome to the club....of pissed off owners!!!! Tranny problem here they won't fix yet. If NISSAN is smart they will 1- Admit the truth of some of their mistakes that are costing Titan owners time, money and inconvenience and 2- Fix these da.....problems at once....What is going on here??????If owners don't call NISSAN and their dealers the wheel has frozen..and we are gonna be stuck with worthless resale trucks and ripped off! If they will fix this stuff quickly we will tell others of the great Titan and NISSAN company....can't they figure that out????.....until they do I'm not gonna recommend this truck or company to anyone!!!

Last edited by Tom Mincarelli; 11-25-2004 at 07:57 AM. Reason: spelling
#3 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 08:30 AM

so...

did you get any video of your jump?

2006 jeep RUBICON so long titan...

No News with Combat Crews
#4 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 7,156 Times in 3,742 Posts
rmartinez0203:

No offense please but I have to ask this question since it doesn't appear to have been answered in your initial post:

Did you do anything while driving your truck that could have bent the axle?

Or is it a manufacturing flaw?

I haven't seen any other posts regarding this problem.

Tom:

I hope everything works out with your transmission issue but again, I don't recall many, if any, posts on this forum regarding your issue. So far the engine and tranny have been very dependable for us Titan owners.

I sure wish Nissan would take better care of you. Is your dealer any help at all? If not, what has he done or not done and name please?

Thanks.

2004 Titan Smoke LE CC
Born 11/18/03
100,000 + miles

#5 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 08:56 AM

37L1......check out "problems with downshifting and emergency brake problems" here.you'll get my story and others who apparently have not called NISSAN yet to get the wheel moving. My dealer has done what the NISSAN engineers have said so far...and after 4 days I got my Titan back with a work-order report that says no fix yet!!!! If I wasn't in the mountains with extreme 4 wheeling daily and lived on flatlands I could probably live with it as others seem to be doing...but it is gettting worse.....and is a nuisance.
#6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 09:22 AM

First off you said the Dana 44 has been problematic, actually it hasn't, you can count the failures on one hand. The axle's also pretty much has absolutely nothing to do with the differential so that is besides the point. The only way to bend the axle's is to have a side impact on the tire while its moving, or to have to much torque transfered through it. Like doing a nice smokey burnout and then sunddenly one tire catches and grabs. We bend axles on our late model race car pretty much on a weekly basis, it has a spool rear end and is very durable, but hit the side of the tire on the wall or on another car hard and its toast. It would be nearly impossible to bend an axle under normal use of the vehicle.

04 Titan CC,BT,OR,4X4, 5333lbs, 15.42@88.79mph stock
Zoomers catback, 2* timing advance
#7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 09:26 AM

Also if you go 4wheelin, admit it and bring a truck with a bent axle into the dealer what do you expect. Like i said if you bent the axle you did something you shouldn't have.

04 Titan CC,BT,OR,4X4, 5333lbs, 15.42@88.79mph stock
Zoomers catback, 2* timing advance
#8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 09:31 AM

I bent an axle on my 2000 F150...

...by spinning out in the rain and nailing a curb

2004 Titan XE Crew Cab 4x2 Born on 9/22/04
Purchased 10/22/04 at South Point Nissan in Austin
Options: XE Preferred Package
Floor Mats
Mud Guards

TRADED IN 9/1/06 for something more fuel efficient. My gf misses the White Titan....lol.
#9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 09:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to Batman229
I used to nail curbs from the side all the time with my frontier. Hit pretty hard sometimes too. Never had any axle problems. Could bigger trucks be weaker?
#10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman229
I used to nail curbs from the side all the time with my frontier. Hit pretty hard sometimes too. Never had any axle problems. Could bigger trucks be weaker?
When I did it in my F150, the back end of the truck swung around and smashed the curb head on at 35 mph. The full force of the truck swung the wheel directly into a curb. I have run into curbs with the back end before but never like that. It was a tremendous noise. I'm really surprised, honestly, that nothing else was broken and that I was able to drive the truck home. (although the tire went flat by the time I got there due to the nearly destroyed rim).

2004 Titan XE Crew Cab 4x2 Born on 9/22/04
Purchased 10/22/04 at South Point Nissan in Austin
Options: XE Preferred Package
Floor Mats
Mud Guards

TRADED IN 9/1/06 for something more fuel efficient. My gf misses the White Titan....lol.
#11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 10:28 AM

My wife lock up the wheels in the rain on her Toyota PU and slid into a curb. I wasn’t there so I didn’t know just how hard she hit but just figured she had only knocked it out of alignment. Wrong! Bent the front spindle over ½ an inch down . Now If that happened to my new titan I really wouldn’t expect it covered under warrantee.

You must of hit something pretty hard to bend an axle. If you had ripped the wheel of would you expect that covered too? But then again if I floor my truck and sheared the splines off my axle I think I would expect it fixed for free, Manufacturing defect I would say. But it would be harder to prove a bent axle is form a manufacturing defect and not form a huge impact.

Last edited by lowlypawn; 11-25-2004 at 10:31 AM.
#12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 01:47 PM

The original post seems to be odd, in that the axle has been bent inside the housing by the bump stop, and -- ??the rear bumper?? Is his truck 2' shorter due to a wreck? There was no mention of what the OP thought may have happened to the cause damage.

Methinks me smells somethings like troll droppings....
#13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 02:06 PM
Supporting Vendor (Gold)

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Only 1 post me thinks you are right!
#14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 04:05 PM

37L1......when and if you get a turn to be the "only one" having a problem......we'll sympathise entirely. I don't care if noone else is having my Titan problem....at 1-2 months old it should be fixed double quick....or any miles or time...if it is defective or broken....if I break someting on my truck and it is not covered under warranty.....I'm gonna pay for it and want it fixed.....in jiffy time.....seems like NISSAN doesn't care about getting the bad word out..eventually the heavy duty best in class will be bottom of the class with dissapointed owners......and readers of forums like this one. I sympathise with rmartinez0203 and if he did not abuse his Titan he has all the right to not have to pay.for a weak design.

Last edited by Tom Mincarelli; 11-25-2004 at 04:08 PM.
#15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 04:55 PM
Supporting Vendor (Gold)

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Our trucks are know "best in class" heavy duty!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top