Oil filter leak - Page 2 - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Problems & Dealer Service Having a problem with your truck? Dealer service got you down? Let us know here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 07:17 AM

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Re: Oil filter leak

Does anyone have a link to the oil ring? Mines still leaking after I changed filters and tightened it up...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

***2004 SE 4x4***SOLD!!!

New Toy:

1994 12valve

*Shes stock...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 08:10 AM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khip View Post
Does anyone have a link to the oil ring? Mines still leaking after I changed filters and tightened it up...

The one I used was the Fram PH7317 even though I had purchased the factory o ring from courtesy . I bought the filter used a pick to pull out the o ring then lubed it with oil before putting it on. I didn't disconnect the cooler so it was tight working space, but I made sure the o ring was seated before repositioning the cooler then buttoned it all up.

Here's the thread I used 2004 Titan leak posterior to oil filter connection

06' LE 4x4 CC BT:
Performance:
JWT S2 Cams, MK90 Intake Manifold , OBX Longtubes,PRT Catted b-pipes, Borla XR-1 16", Vibrant UQ,4" Resonated tip, Truetrac,Mag Hytec Diff cover, Uprev , Edge Racing 3200 Stall TC, Hybrid Spectre 4" (MXP filter, Spectre 4" tube to Closed AFE Box) , Ram Air Mod, Cajun 2.5-3 Y-Pipe, QTP Stainless cutout, Badlanzhpe 3in remote cutout valve, Burnout Mod, TruCool Trans Cooler , CSF Stock replacement radiator, 170* Thermostat, TB Bypass mod,Reaper IAT mod, FT90, PRG TRANS/ENG mounts, Axle vent mod, Transgo HD2
Suspension:
DR Coilovers, Deaver Springs , Billsteins 5100's, RC Traction Bars, PRG 1" Blocks

Looks:
Bedlined Front Bumper , Rear Bumper , Mirrors , Sidesteps. 20x9 Tuff T01 , 275/65R20 Toyo ATII , Bushwhacker Bedlined Flares

On Deck: Ram Air Hood, waiting for Professional to Wrap.
#18 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
The one I used was the Fram PH7317 even though I had purchased the factory o ring from courtesy . I bought the filter used a pick to pull out the o ring then lubed it with oil before putting it on. I didn't disconnect the cooler so it was tight working space, but I made sure the o ring was seated before repositioning the cooler then buttoned it all up.

Here's the thread I used 2004 Titan leak posterior to oil filter connection
Thanks for the link I'll check that out. And my other question is for everyone. Are y'all using a filter wrench to put yours on? My new guy at the shop doesn't, and last week when it was leaking I put a new filter on and dogged it with my hand and it didn't leak for a few days. So maybe I just need to tighten it more?

***2004 SE 4x4***SOLD!!!

New Toy:

1994 12valve

*Shes stock...
#19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 03:07 PM
Premium User

iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khip View Post
Thanks for the link I'll check that out. And my other question is for everyone. Are y'all using a filter wrench to put yours on? My new guy at the shop doesn't, and last week when it was leaking I put a new filter on and dogged it with my hand and it didn't leak for a few days. So maybe I just need to tighten it more?

If you ever had to stab a filter with a screwdriver to get it off you understand why me and your mechanic don't like using gorilla hands to put a filter on. I'll snug it as tight as I can but I don't wrench it on. Years ago when I was in a rush I did a shameful thing and got a 20 min oil change. When I went to change the oil , I spent 40.00 on crap to get the oil out of my driveway. I hate spots and I hate leaks.

06' LE 4x4 CC BT:
Performance:
JWT S2 Cams, MK90 Intake Manifold , OBX Longtubes,PRT Catted b-pipes, Borla XR-1 16", Vibrant UQ,4" Resonated tip, Truetrac,Mag Hytec Diff cover, Uprev , Edge Racing 3200 Stall TC, Hybrid Spectre 4" (MXP filter, Spectre 4" tube to Closed AFE Box) , Ram Air Mod, Cajun 2.5-3 Y-Pipe, QTP Stainless cutout, Badlanzhpe 3in remote cutout valve, Burnout Mod, TruCool Trans Cooler , CSF Stock replacement radiator, 170* Thermostat, TB Bypass mod,Reaper IAT mod, FT90, PRG TRANS/ENG mounts, Axle vent mod, Transgo HD2
Suspension:
DR Coilovers, Deaver Springs , Billsteins 5100's, RC Traction Bars, PRG 1" Blocks

Looks:
Bedlined Front Bumper , Rear Bumper , Mirrors , Sidesteps. 20x9 Tuff T01 , 275/65R20 Toyo ATII , Bushwhacker Bedlined Flares

On Deck: Ram Air Hood, waiting for Professional to Wrap.
The Following User Says Thank You to Solidus For This Useful Post:
Khip (01-07-2014)
#20 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 03:39 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

IMHO, a filter wrench is for removing a filter, not for installation. I have just hand tightened my filters for about 15 years and never had a leak from a filter gasket.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III

2004 Nissan Titan 4wd CC LE with Big Tow/Off Road/Utility Package/Nav/Rear Entertainment/Moonroof, SnugTop Super Sport fiberglass canopy, Go Rhino Dominator II step bars, 3D Floor Liners from Auto Distributor Direct
-Bought with 157k mi in 4/2013
-Now 165k mi

The Following User Says Thank You to firetruck41 For This Useful Post:
Khip (01-07-2014)
#21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 05:45 PM
Premium User

Quote:
Originally Posted by firetruck41 View Post
IMHO, a filter wrench is for removing a filter, not for installation. I have just hand tightened my filters for about 15 years and never had a leak from a filter gasket.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III
Ditto...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

***2008 4x4 SE, Silver, Big Tow Package***

Modifications To Date

Bushwacker Flares, Bilstein 5100's, Bully Dog GT, Cajun Axle Vent Mod, Compustar Remote Start, Craven Speed 50 Cal Antena, DC2 Wheels, DC Fun Country Tires, Ingen Cold Air Intake, Lund Bug Guard (smoke), LED Interior Lights (blue), Magnaflow Dual Exhaust, Radio Bezel Mod "The Punisher," SPEC-D Smoked Tail Lights, SPEC-D 3rd Brake Light, Utili-Track Tool Box, OEM Step Rails (bed lined), Okole Seat Covers, Reaper IAT Chip Mod

Future Mods

LED Fog Lights, Armada Air Dam, Uniden Bearcat 980 CB, Halo Head lights

"A government big enough to give you everything...is a government big enough to take everything away." ~ Thomas Jefferson
#22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 07:45 PM

Ok thanks guys! I'll pick up the ring from advance ASAP. Cross my fingers I hope the coolers not cracked! If it is should that he really obvious? Would it be leaking oil or coolant if it is? And if anyone has a pic of a cracked one they took off that would also be much appreciated! Thanks again, I absolutely love this site!

***2004 SE 4x4***SOLD!!!

New Toy:

1994 12valve

*Shes stock...
#23 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 07:47 PM

I haven't heard of a cracked one. I have heard of many, many, many leaky o-rings...

2004 Nissan Titan 4wd CC LE with Big Tow/Off Road/Utility Package/Nav/Rear Entertainment/Moonroof, SnugTop Super Sport fiberglass canopy, Go Rhino Dominator II step bars, 3D Floor Liners from Auto Distributor Direct
-Now 165k mi

#24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firetruck41 View Post
I haven't heard of a cracked one. I have heard of many, many, many leaky o-rings...
I believe someone in that link Solidus provided had a cracked one. Hopefully that's not the case

***2004 SE 4x4***SOLD!!!

New Toy:

1994 12valve

*Shes stock...
#25 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 10:08 PM

Yeah, I'm sure it has happened, but in the year I have been reading this board, I have seen more than a few posts about leaking o-rings, but haven't read a thread about a broken oil cooler. I'm with you... hopefully, its like most of the others on here: a cheap gasket replacement.

-Now 165k mi

Last edited by firetruck41; 01-07-2014 at 10:11 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to firetruck41 For This Useful Post:
Khip (01-08-2014), Pickle-Smooch (01-08-2014)
#26 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 03:46 PM
Premium User

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Scottysize

Last time mine leaked oil was when the Dumb Azz at Nissan over-tighten my oil drain plug and stripped the threads. No issues since I quit going to Nissan.

2012 SV CC Brilliant Silver/Charcoal Cloth 4X4.

Future Mods: One day AirLift Air Bags

The Following User Says Thank You to Scottysize For This Useful Post:
Pickle-Smooch (01-08-2014)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top