Exhaust Leak? - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Problems & Dealer Service Having a problem with your truck? Dealer service got you down? Let us know here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 02:42 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Exhaust Leak?

I have an 05 KC SE. I've only had for 2 months and have 1800 miles on it. I have noticed over the last few days what sounds like an an exhaust leak coming from engine compartment on the drivers side. Has anyone here had problems with the exhaust manifold leaking and/or warping. I did a search and didn't find anything that helped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 03:29 PM

No problems that I have ever heard of!

Chopps

2004 Smoke LE
T-Rex Billet Upper and Lower Grills
Chrome Tailgate Accent
JL Downward Facing 10" W3
6" Fabtech Lift
Fabtech 2.5 coilovers
Bushwacker fender flares
Nismo CAI
22" Gear Wheels
325-50-22 Toyo Open Country
Oh yeah, You can't forget the chrome truck nuts!
#3 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 03:31 PM

Shounds like you have the Tick. Mine sounds like it is coming from the Passenger side. If you search for "tick" you will find a lot of info on it.
#4 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 02:04 AM

Re: Exhaust Leak?

New to forum, hello everyone.
Finally took my 04 LE 4x4 stock with 72K miles in yesterday after hearing the awful sound for about a year. Yes, a year. It's very inconvenient to keep leaving the truck with them and since the sound decreased significantly after about 5 min. of run and the general power was there and the gas mileage did not change I figured I could put it off. Anyway, they reported I have a "manifold leak". It is a warranty repair. I'm assuming it's an 'exhaust' manifold leak after reading these posts.
Symptoms:
When cold or even after a short off time (park, run into store etc.) start truck and not notice any unusual sound at idle or even revving while in park. As soon as I accelerate away the sound is VERY evident. Sounds like it's running on 5 cylinders and the exhaust is 'packed' with a clickety clack and a banana stuck up the tail pipe. Hard to describe but awful sound. The acceleration is way off too. But hammer it with full throttle and break thru it and I can feel the old nice power kick in quickly. Release throttle and accelerate again and the sound is still there but less and also it provides proper power quicker than when I first started. So at least for mine the quote I heard above 'as it heats the leak seals' seems true. After about 5 minutes the accel and sound are pretty much normal although I can still sense (hear) it's not quite right.

History of my Titan problems:
Bed liner bubble, they fixed free with a full replacement of LineX
Brakes, brakes, brakes! 3 times fixed 3 times failed, I replaced them with $1500 of stillen.com brakes
and they still pulse somewhat under hard braking but head and shoulders above anything stock.
Squeaks rattles, everything from the dash to the door panels (after they did the required TSB wire mod). After 2 tries they finally cured the dash squeaks with probably 5 lbs. felt, who knows, glad it's gone.

I've got a love/hate relationship with this truck. I love the get-up-and-go it has and the way it drives. BTW, I've test drove most of the domestic equivalents (GM-Dodge etc.) that have higher power specs and none of them can punch it up like my ole 72K Titan. Have not tried the new Tundra. I'm spoiled by that Titan power!
I hate that Nissan did not step up to the plate and provide a properly engineered front brake replacement package. F__K them. Because of that I will never buy Nissan again and will do my best to discourage anyone else from doing so. Cheesy plastic knobs (on mine anyway)

Please excuse the rant and the looong post, I had to vent a little. I'd like to add a thanks for all the great info I'm finding here, I wish I'd found this site a long time ago.

T

Last edited by tpar; 07-01-2008 at 02:54 AM.
#5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 04:26 AM

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 54warrior

^^^^I've had a few problems with my T, but not enough to say I'd never buy another. In fact, I'm looking forward to the dropping prices so that I can some day buy a used one!

Truck: 05 CC SE 4x4
Performance/Drivetrain: JBA CAtback w/ 2* Advance, PRG Driveshaft Spacer, PRG Street Traction Bars
Suspension: PC 6", SAW Coils, ProComp MX6 Adjustable Rear Shocks, Total Chaos Shackles, removed anti-sway bar
Wheels/Tires: Stock 6 Spoke Charcoal Wheels with Nitto Terra Grapplers-325/65R-18
Brakes: Stock w/ PRG Stainless Lines (Front)
Lighting: (3) Hella 500 Driving Lights
Misc: Husky Liners, Bug Shield, Tonneau, Bed Liner'ed Rockers, Home-Made© Skid Plates, Vent Visors
#6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpar
New to forum, hello everyone.
Finally took my 04 LE 4x4 stock with 72K miles in yesterday after hearing the awful sound for about a year. Yes, a year. It's very inconvenient to keep leaving the truck with them and since the sound decreased significantly after about 5 min. of run and the general power was there and the gas mileage did not change I figured I could put it off. Anyway, they reported I have a "manifold leak". It is a warranty repair. I'm assuming it's an 'exhaust' manifold leak after reading these posts.
Symptoms:
When cold or even after a short off time (park, run into store etc.) start truck and not notice any unusual sound at idle or even revving while in park. As soon as I accelerate away the sound is VERY evident. Sounds like it's running on 5 cylinders and the exhaust is 'packed' with a clickety clack and a banana stuck up the tail pipe. Hard to describe but awful sound. The acceleration is way off too. But hammer it with full throttle and break thru it and I can feel the old nice power kick in quickly. Release throttle and accelerate again and the sound is still there but less and also it provides proper power quicker than when I first started. So at least for mine the quote I heard above 'as it heats the leak seals' seems true. After about 5 minutes the accel and sound are pretty much normal although I can still sense (hear) it's not quite right.

History of my Titan problems:
Bed liner bubble, they fixed free with a full replacement of LineX
Brakes, brakes, brakes! 3 times fixed 3 times failed, I replaced them with $1500 of stillen.com brakes
and they still pulse somewhat under hard braking but head and shoulders above anything stock.
Squeaks rattles, everything from the dash to the door panels (after they did the required TSB wire mod). After 2 tries they finally cured the dash squeaks with probably 5 lbs. felt, who knows, glad it's gone.

I've got a love/hate relationship with this truck. I love the get-up-and-go it has and the way it drives. BTW, I've test drove most of the domestic equivalents (GM-Dodge etc.) that have higher power specs and none of them can punch it up like my ole 72K Titan. Have not tried the new Tundra. I'm spoiled by that Titan power!
I hate that Nissan did not step up to the plate and provide a properly engineered front brake replacement package. F__K them. Because of that I will never buy Nissan again and will do my best to discourage anyone else from doing so. Cheesy plastic knobs (on mine anyway)

Please excuse the rant and the looong post, I had to vent a little. I'd like to add a thanks for all the great info I'm finding here, I wish I'd found this site a long time ago.

T

That sounds like what my truck has been doing for about a month now, I took it to the dealer but of coarse it was hot and they could not get the sound to replicate, I think because they were reving it in park instead of driving it, so they want me to leave it overnight whenever I get around to having enough time to let it.

Current-2014 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab 4x4

Previous-2005 Silver KC SE, Popular Package with Captains Chairs, Big Tow, OEM gunmetal wheels, bugshield, foglights, XM/Sirius Radio

Last edited by BigA; 07-01-2008 at 06:05 AM.
#7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 11:56 AM

Case closed for now... I just picked up truck and it sounds like it's old self, whew! Description says 'Manifold is cracked and causing leak'. Service receipt states they replaced 'Gasket-Exhaust' FP# 14036-7S001
and 'Manifold Exhaust' FP# 14002-7S00A. Cost $0.00 Maybe my faith in Nissan is a little better but I'll remain skeptical.

Edit- I was referring to this post (I have to put the dashes in the www part to post) w-w-w.titantalk.com/forums/titan-problems-dealer-service/69334-ticking-sound-sounds-like-exhasut-leak

T

Last edited by tpar; 07-01-2008 at 12:18 PM.
#8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 09:03 PM

Cracked exhaust manifolds on these engines is pretty common in my area. I probably replace 1-2 every couple months.

Surrounded by idgits, we press on.
#9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanTech659
Cracked exhaust manifolds on these engines is pretty common in my area. I probably replace 1-2 every couple months.
TitanTech659, Is there any trend you think could be found here? That is to say,
Are they older models like mine (1rst-2nd year production)? Maybe drivers who could be more aggressive like me? I'm not talking burning rubber but when it's time to move I move. Weather related? Just curious...
About being negative towards Nissan, I may have been very lucky with past vehicles but I can say that I have never had a vehicle needing so much work before. Especially considering that it is barely past only 4 years old!
#10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 04:38 PM

Well I can say that I haven't done many on 07's and none on 08's yet so I'm not really sure. The ones I have replaced usually look a little more "worn" in than others but here in Nebraska everyone's truck is usually used as a truck and not just a cruiser. Most Titans around here are owned by either farmers or construction workers.

#11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 08:33 AM

Looks like there are a couple of these threads going.

Is this a warranty replacement job? I'm at 26K miles, so just out of the factory warranty but I do have a 5 year extended warranty that I need to get into my name (which is a pain-in-the-***, 4-6 week process).
#12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 11:34 AM

They are a warranty item.

#13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 09:30 PM

I have this problem!

I know this is an old thread but hopefully somone can help me. I recently brought my 2005 Titan in and the dealer told me I have the same issue a "cracked" or "leaking" exhaust manifold. But mine just hit 109k miles. It has been a PERFECT truck until now (I bought it at 80k). The dealer quoted me 3000 dollars to fix this. I am wondering if theres any way I could get this done cheaper... Also the delaer mentioned an "exhaust vent" being plugged with dirt and needing to be replaced. Any ideas what this vent is or how I can prevent it being plugged with dirt in the future? Also this doesnt seem to cause the truck any problems with how it runs, could this cause damage if its not fixed immediately? (I dont have 3000 dollars laying around)

-Thanks!!!
#14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 09:42 PM

never had to have the manifolds replaced out of warranty but i would expect them to be very expensive...mainly because the cats come with the manifolds as 1 piece. im sure a shop elsewhere could easily do the job for you for much less....just have to get the parts. dealer charges $95 per hour of labor here in CA. many others will say that headers and a tune might be the best option as eventually the manifolds will crack again. idk what exhaust vent they are talking about sorry. cracked manifolds dont need fixed immediately. but, it will start to kill you gas mileage, power, and could throw a check engine light i believe (mine never has)...not to mention it sounds like sh*t going down the road lol.

btw, that quote was for both sides right?

Truck:
2010 Nissan Titan SE KC 2WD / 16.8mpg

Mods...so far:
Nismo CAI, Banks Monster Exhaust, 8k HIDs, Black Husky Tool Box
DIY Bedliner, Aries Black Brush Guard, DIY Grounding Kit, WeatherTech Floormats

Gas Saver:
2003 Honda Civic Hybrid / 48mpg
Mods : K&N Drop-In, KYB Shocks/Struts, 6k H/L HIDs
125,000+ Miles

Toy:
07 Yamaha R6 / 30mpg * Murdered at 28,812 miles

New Toy:
2014 Triumph Daytona 675 / Stock
#15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 10:10 PM

I am assuming it is for both sides I would have to look at the paperwork I got from the dealer again. BTW the reason I brought it in was because a check engine light came up. Also you said the manifolds will crack again? how long til the next set cracks and is there any way I can avoid that possibly with aftermarket manifolds??? Any help would be great

Jump to top