A/C drain repair questions... - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Problems & Dealer Service Having a problem with your truck? Dealer service got you down? Let us know here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 09:43 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
A/C drain repair questions...

Straight out: Wouldn't rain water enter the large firewall hole once you remove the OEM drain pipe? It seems to me that you are getting rid of the A/C drip but creating a larger hole for water to get in.

On a side note, just discovered I had this problem tonite. I am VERY pissed. I can easily do the repair myself, but I am worried the carpet will mold over. Then again I don't want the dealer to replace it because I feel that will result in many more problems from ripping up the truck. Anyone done this problem and dried up the carpet and no more problems? My carpet is damp, the foam underneather is damp to the touch also. I figure if I dry well, use a hairdryer, and disinfect I should be ok. Any hope?

Thanks,
-Cyrus
The Following User Says Thank You to Vyrus For This Useful Post:
bestatchess (06-22-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 04:12 AM
Banned

Well, I understand your grief. I can't give you a direction to go as far as dealer repair (with possibilities of bad work) or self repair.

I can show you what I did in order to insure that once the water passed the tip of the drain nozzle there was no path back into the cab.

Removing the drain hose and leaving the large hole wasn't an option in my book and taking a piece of drain tube and putting it inside wasn't an option either as it will eventually kink.

So, I fabricated my own drain tube elbow that fits inside the factory rubber hose. Once installed, you can't even tell there is a modification under it.

Photos speak well. If you'd like, I can give information on parts, sizes, and lengths. Or, If you do paypal, I can give you a completed assembly for cost and let you pick up shipping. I'll make no profit, but I'll know another fellow Titan owner won't suffer from wet carpet due to condensation again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01013.JPG
Views:	4610
Size:	296.3 KB
ID:	16911   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01014.JPG
Views:	1628
Size:	300.0 KB
ID:	16912   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01015.JPG
Views:	2148
Size:	261.5 KB
ID:	16913   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01019.JPG
Views:	1948
Size:	337.6 KB
ID:	16914  
#3 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 2,836 Times in 1,879 Posts
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Looks like a good idea. Is that 1/2" pipe and elbow?
#4 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 08:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestatchess
Looks like a good idea. Is that 1/2" pipe and elbow?
yep.. 1/2" Copper pipe and 1/2" Street 90 Elbow. The tubing was 5/8" Outside x 1/2" Id Vinyl. The hose is a tough fit on the elbow, definately won't come off. Fits nicely on the Nissan drain tube as well.

I cut both the tubing and the pipe to 1-3/8" long. Only one number to remember this way.

The hardest part of this whole project would be the soldering if you don't already have the equipment.
#5 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95wolverine
yep.. 1/2" Copper pipe and 1/2" Street 90 Elbow. The tubing was 5/8" Outside x 1/2" Id Vinyl. The hose is a tough fit on the elbow, definately won't come off. Fits nicely on the Nissan drain tube as well.

I cut both the tubing and the pipe to 1-3/8" long. Only one number to remember this way.

The hardest part of this whole project would be the soldering if you don't already have the equipment.
Cool, thanks. I am going to change mine to your setup. I have my OEM drain/grommet slip-lined with plastic tubing at the moment and it does have a tendency to kink, so that the tubing is not open all the way at the bend.
#6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 01:53 PM

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
wow very nice idea!!! I too just used a long peice of plastic tubing whenit happened in my truck
#7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 01:05 PM

Guys,

I need some help. I think I'm having the AC drain problem.

I've made a mistake in trying to fix it, I TOOK IT TO THE DEALER!!! They said it was the trim molding around the door...WTF!?!?! There's no water over there, it's under teh Husky floorliner-MORONS! I didn't know this when I was at the dealer b/c they didn't have my ticket ready when I left-they mailed it to me. It arrived in the mail today and when I read the repair work, it didn't match what the service manager told me they did, and it wasn't what I told them to check. So I immediatley lifted the Husky floor liner on the pass. side of my truck to find what there-WATER!! go fingure...

So, I've lost faith in them, once again...

Where do I find this drain tube for the AC? I'm assuming it's on the passenger side, since that's where the water's leaking.

What are my options, besides the one in this thread, to fixing it?

Thanks!

And this set-up 95 Wolverine's got going looks pretty good.
#8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 01:38 PM

The drain is on the firewall, passenger side. Look for the black rubber tube in the pictures above. If you can't find that tube, that might be your problem - mine fell off of the firewall after I barely touched it. I did a similiar fix on my unit to correct the same problem.

2005 Smoke CC LE 4x4
Born on Date 3/05
Adopted 5/19/05
OR/BT Packages
Nav & DVD
Mods:
Truxedo Lo-Pro, Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth Hands-Free Speakerphone, Power Tailgate Lock, Zoomers Cannon Exhaust Tip, DEI 561T Remote Start, Line of Fire LED light bar, Backup Camera displayed on nav. screen
EBC Greenstuff pads & rotors, Aux. back-up lights, Wade In-Channel vent visors, keypad entry
#9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 01:47 PM

I'd put money it's the drain tube issue, especially if you're still using your A/C. DEFINITELY contact 95wolverine and hope he has one of those pieces laying around... I installed it on my titan maybe a month ago and it has been perfectly dry since (I try to use my A/C also just to make sure). His setup is great since it uses the factory tubing's seal and drain, and is totally inconspicuous.
-Cyrus
#10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

You might need to stand on a little stool or bucket to reach it, as it is way back there. I have long arms and it was quite a reach. I recently re-fixed mine with 95wolverine's fix. I also used two hose clamps to hold the plastic tubing on the copper elbow and on the A/C drain nipple (behind the black grommet). Perhaps not necessary, but I want this to be the final fix. I greased the grommet with a little white silicone grease and it made it easier to get over the copper elbow and back into place in the firewall hole.

The big end of the plastic grommet has an annular lip that fits in the hole in the firewall. The small end of the grommet is held by a plastic clip at the lower end. Be careful not to lose the clip when you pull the grommet off. Mine flew off when I jerked the grommet out and it took me a little while to find the clip.

I think 95wolverine's fix is the way to go as it maintains the OEM grommet. I originally slip-lined the grommet with plastic tubing and it kinked at the bend.

If you have the A/C drain leak, the padding around the firewall hole will be wet inside the cab, on the passenger side, up on the firewall. It runs from there down to the floor.

Here is a photo of the area to check for the leak:

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/atta...achmentid=1929

If you can't reach the A/C drain from under the hood, you can jack up the front, pull the front passenger tire and remove the fender liner for more convenient access:

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/atta...achmentid=9764

Or perhaps you could take it to the dealer and charge them $500 for conducting a seminar on how to fix this leak.
#11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 03:58 PM

Thanks guys....

I'll have to wait till Firday to look at it.
#12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 06:30 PM

Thanked 1,931 Times in 1,415 Posts
Thanks 95Wolverine, good idea and mine is bone dry ever since.

IRC VK56 Member "BIG CHIEF WANNARACEUM"
2005 XE, "Land Shark",1/4 MILE: 13.851 AT 98.52
Full Street Trim on Snow Tires Record HolderBuild date 3/05

Performance mods: UpRev, JWT cams, NISMO CAI, NISMO True Duals with Dr Gas Xpipe, NISMO Headers with Swain's White Lightning Coating, Suncoast Ram Air Hood, Tru Trac, Burnout mod

Aesthetic mods: NISMO graphics, Grillcraft, Retrax, De-badged, 2" PRG lift, Titan fog lights, 18" LE wheels 285/60/18 Dueler Alenza tires, 35% tint

Stereo mods: Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS head unit, Audison LRX 4/300 Amp, Boston 6x9 coaxials front & Focal 6.5 coaxial rears with JL tweeters in dash.
#13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 12:44 AM

i'm having wet(condensation) under my floormats on both the driver/passenger sides. I know most have it under the passenger side since the drainage is on that side. I've seen pictures of other members having puddles

I hope my problem is just the ac problem and not an additional leak.

On The Horizon:
Flowmasters
Stillen Brakes
Lowering 2/4
ECLIPSE AVN5453 & BEC104
#14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator

I think some people have had more extensive leaks for various reasons, including a cracked heater A/C box. (the big black plastic box in the cab)
#15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 12:20 PM

Re: A/C drain repair questions...

Damn, Just cleaned out my truck and noticed some condensation under the floor mat. Guess I am going to have to rip up the carpet and see how extnesive it is I hope it's not a lake under there! So there is not TSB out for this? I looked and couldn't find one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top