Nissan Titan Forum banner

Titan starving for fuel with 8 gals left?

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Megalomaniac 
#1 ·
Hi all. I have searched all around and cannot find any issue like this here or elsewhere. First off, I have done the Ipdm check and everything checks fine (runs through all checks). I have done the gauge check routine with no help.

Here is the issue: when I get to 1/4 tank, my 2012 Titan acts like it is starving for gas. It stalls, hesitates from a dead start, etc. This AM it started doing this on the way to work. I know I have a 28 gal tank, and it only took 19.8 gals (I really filled it till it was certainly full). Once above 1/4 tank it runs drives fine.

What would make my truck, with 8 gallons of fuel in the tank, act like it was running on vapors???

The gauge is actually accurate. Is my fuel pump floating maybe? IDK I'm grasping at straws here. Please brainstorm. The truck is under warranty, but I am about to drive 1500 miles in a couple of days on a vacation...

No check engine light. No other symptoms.

#2 ·
Sounds like a fuel pump issue to me. Run it down to 1/4 tank and then let the dealer figure it out since it is still under warranty.

#3 ·
Be prepared to drop the tank to check everything if you're not going to take it to the dealer. Even though we have a 28 gallon tank I've run it to empty and only managed to put 26 gallons in it, but yes you should be getting farther than 20 gallons. If you have to drive the 1500 miles I guess just make sure you fill up before 1/4 tank.

#4 ·
Ok so I took it to the dealership. They told me sending unit was bad, they replaced it under warranty late last week. I drove it to 1/4 tank and the issues started again. It even stalled twice in the middle of an intersection.

I am almost at my wits end with this.

My main question is when they replace the sending unit do they also replace the fuel pump? If so, I'll start tracking down electrical relay issues. I mean it's either that or a cracked pickup tube, and I assume the pickup tube was replaced with sending unit ??

Thanks for any help with this.

#5 ·
I believe my sending unit was replaced under the recall. I don't think the fuel pump was replaced. The fuel pump is cooled by the fuel in the tank. It sounds like your fuel pump may be overheating.

#7 ·
I have the same type of issue, 8gals left when then the gage and light read empty. I have been doing searches for the fuel gage recall, but cannot find anything from Nissan or NHTSA for a recall. I did find general technical service bulletin: 10032991.

Does anyone have any information on the recall? I assume it requires replacing the sending unit...

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.