Nissan Titan Forum banner

Code P1283

14K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  leoshamp 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, i bought my 05 CC about a week ago, and they had the entire exhaust "redone" from what they said, im assuming it had no cats etc when it was traded in, so they had it all fixed. Well you get under there, and the entire exhaust is pieced together with like 32 different pieces of exhaust tubing thats all welded together, no flanges, etc.

The day i bought it, they smogged it, and it passed no problem, but Now 3 days after i bought it, im getting code P1283 - Powertrain, which is lean bank 2 on the pre-cat O2 sensor, which is passenger side.

Now ive checked the intake, no leaks, cleaned the MAF sensor, ran an entire bottle of seafoam through the tank, so its most likely not an injector, and i just "checked" the exhaust, and dont see any leaks, but it has to be their hacked together ****ty exhaust. I just went through my entire first tank, and calculating at the pump, its getting 9.2mpg... I know its got 35s and lifted and all, but god damn, my last 05 with long travel on heavy *** 37's got 13mpg consistantly.

What do you guys think i should do?

#5 ·
For a 4x4 there are catalytic converters in the b-pipes. It looks like what you have there are resonators. Still, the error is from the upstream sensor so that shouldn't matter (so far). As was recommended above try the swap. The sensors in Titans don't seem to last as long as on other vehicles. I've replaced all four of mine. One was due to being cross threaded by the dealer.

I'm fighting a code that seems to indicate an exhaust leak but after looking multiple times I can't find it. I wonder if it doesn't show at idle but does under more throttle.

#7 · (Edited)
Yeah im gonna swap them tomorrow and see what i come up with, if they check out fine, ill try to tighten up the bolts on the manifolds, see if any are loose (theres no heat shields), if thats a no go, im gonna try a smoke test or something similar to check for leaks... If that doesn't work out, im just gonna replace the whole exhaust with Long tubes, b-pipes, and new Y-pipe. It just sucks i have to replace it all because they didnt leave me any flanges to unbolt, so everything will have to get cut out.!
HOLY hackd-up sh*t
No kidding, its not the worst looking thing ive seen, but its pretty bad...

Reactions: COREYMFT
#12 ·
Well, i went to check the nuts on the exhaust manifold, and a few were a little loose, maybe went another 1/4 turn, and then one i found the last person who touched it tightened it so much that it pulled the threads out of the head... So i sent a tap through it all and found out it was much deeper than what the stud actually grabbed, so i found a longer 12point head bolt and through it in there to torque it down, got it all good.

I also welded up 5 holes on the exhaust, all post-cat, but still probably was making a difference. There might be more, but that was all that i could see with my eyes without smoke/pressure or anything. I reset the code, and reset the learning procedure for the O2 sensors. So we'll see, last time i reset the learning procedure, it took about 150 miles for it to come back on, so ill keep everyone posted.

#13 ·
We'll, I just went 200 miles since I reset, and the light hasn't come back on, but I went on a 120 mile road trip today, doing 70mph the whole way, and got 9.2 mpg... :( so im still not sure if it's running okay, but it seems under powered, struggles to maintain 70 up a decent grade without down shifting to 3rd. So there is something else going on that I don't quite understand.

Any ideas?

#14 ·
Needs gears.

#15 · (Edited)
Pretty sure it has 3.73's after this trip, at 65, its at 1800rpms, and 80 is 2100rpms.

EDIT: Nvm, seems like after going through some calculators it should be 3.36's, but either way, my last 05 had 35's with 2.94s and would get 18-19mpg at 65, but it seems this truck, with better gearing, gets 9.2mpg? I dont see that possible.

#16 ·
Hey guys, i bought my 05 CC about a week ago, and they had the entire exhaust "redone" from what they said, im assuming it had no cats etc when it was traded in, so they had it all fixed. Well you get under there, and the entire exhaust is pieced together with like 32 different pieces of exhaust tubing thats all welded together, no flanges, etc.

The day i bought it, they smogged it, and it passed no problem, but Now 3 days after i bought it, im getting code P1283 - Powertrain, which is lean bank 2 on the pre-cat O2 sensor, which is passenger side.

Now ive checked the intake, no leaks, cleaned the MAF sensor, ran an entire bottle of seafoam through the tank, so its most likely not an injector, and i just "checked" the exhaust, and dont see any leaks, but it has to be their hacked together **ty exhaust. I just went through my entire first tank, and calculating at the pump, its getting 9.2mpg... I know its got 35s and lifted and all, but god damn, my last 05 with long travel on heavy * 37's got 13mpg consistantly.

If they used aftermarket cats you're screwed.... None will work properly with Nissan Titans.
We'll, I just went 200 miles since I reset, and the light hasn't come back on, but I went on a 120 mile road trip today, doing 70mph the whole way, and got 9.2 mpg... :( so im still not sure if it's running okay, but it seems under powered, struggles to maintain 70 up a decent grade without down shifting to 3rd. So there is something else going on that I don't quite understand.

Any ideas?
If you have aftermarket catalytic converters for the Nissan Titan you are screwed.
You can try to tweak the depth of your o2 sensors to get rid of the code but it still won't be right.
Nissan's are notorious for this problem with aftermarket catalytic converters.
Don't use aftermarket cats.

#17 ·

Now ive checked the intake, no leaks, cleaned the MAF sensor, ran an entire bottle of seafoam through the tank, so its most likely not an injector, and i just "checked" the exhaust, and dont see any leaks, but it has to be their hacked together **ty exhaust. I just went through my entire first tank, and calculating at the pump, its getting 9.2mpg... I know its got 35s and lifted and all, but god damn, my last 05 with long travel on heavy * 37's got 13mpg consistantly.

I'm assuming they used aftermarket CC's... Be warned that only original Titan cats will function properly without manipulating sensor depth.
You will continue to get this code with aftermarket cats.
Have had some luck with spacing sensor depth by "macgyvering" to eliminate the P1238 code.
Still am losing about 2.57 mi to the gallon.
Just pay the extra $500 for stock cats and save yourself a bunch of headache.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.