Headlights always on?? - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Problems & Dealer Service Having a problem with your truck? Dealer service got you down? Let us know here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:14 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Headlights always on??

Goodmorning everyone, i have a 2008 titan se and the headlights will not turn off unless i turn off the truck. Using the manual light switch the running lights, dash lights, marker lights, taillights, will all turn off and on, high beams work as normal, but the actual headlights themselves will not turn off. This has become somewhat of an inconvenience even though it may seem like a minor problem. Any ideas as to if there is a way to turn these lights off that im not seeing let me know!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:32 AM
BWV

Garage
Re: Headlights always on??

Maybe the relay is stuck on... pull the relay and see if they turn off.
If they do, use a multimeter to see if the relay is closed even with it unplugged.

2012 Crew 4X4 SV-Appearance Package

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

^Before ................... After^

Mods/Add-ons - RK Sport Hood, ASC/Signature 925 Sunroof, Leer 550 Tonneau, Bilstein 5100's(middle perch), Wade In-Channel Deflectors, Nissan Bed Extender, 20"126W light-bar, DNA Motoring Black Headlamps, LED Bed Lights(tied to cargo light), DIY Arduino Auto Headlamp Control, Plasti-Dipped Emblems and Burgers
Audio System - JVC KW-AV60BT, 2)Alpine 3522, 1)Alpine MRV-M500, Infinity Reference 9603ix(FR Door), Reference 075tx(Dash), JBL P882(RR Door), Polk DB1040(Sub)

"One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions" -Wernher von Braun
"Now go away or I will taunt you a second time..." -French K-niggit
"No problem can be solved by the same kind of thinking that created it." -Albert Einstein
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:50 AM

Garage

Sounds like you are like me and have a Canadian Titan. I have yet to find a way to turn of the DRL's and yes, it is completely annoying as their are times it would be nice to have them off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:12 AM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 5,770 Times in 3,159 Posts
iTrader Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to beason Send a message via MSN to beason Send a message via Yahoo to beason

yes, as Indy stated, Canada requires DRL or daytime running lights. Since your in Washington State, its a pretty good chance that you got a Canada spec truck. Someone may come along shortly with a way to turn them off. I do not know of a way myself.

Titan mod list

WhinyWhore™
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:43 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by beason View Post
yes, as Indy stated, Canada requires DRL or daytime running lights. Since your in Washington State, its a pretty good chance that you got a Canada spec truck. Someone may come along shortly with a way to turn them off. I do not know of a way myself.
I've been looking and searching for over a year and have yet to find a way. I feel like a rude a-hole in camp grounds when I have to do something with my truck and the headlights come on.

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:57 AM
Premium User

Send a message via AIM to beason Send a message via MSN to beason Send a message via Yahoo to beason

i saw a few posts around, but they involve cutting wires and such. not sure just how bad you guys want to turn them off.

I understand you though, i just shut off the entry light option on the jeep (where the headlights turn on when you unlock the vehicle) If someone was sitting in the car across from me in a parking lot, they would get an eyeful...

Titan mod list

WhinyWhore™
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:46 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by beason View Post
i saw a few posts around, but they involve cutting wires and such. not sure just how bad you guys want to turn them off.

I understand you though, i just shut off the entry light option on the jeep (where the headlights turn on when you unlock the vehicle) If someone was sitting in the car across from me in a parking lot, they would get an eyeful...
All the one's I have seen that talk about that, they are cutting a parking brake wire and tying it to ground to trick the module into thinking the parking brake is always on. That will not work on the Titan because ours don't turn off with the parking brake like some, if it did, I'd be good with just that normal functionality.

I've read so many freaking write ups that it is maddening, but none of them apply to the Titan, it's like Nissan did something completely different with these.

Mine is definitely factory setup like this and not an after the fact conversion to comply with Canadian regs like some because mine actually has a Canadian VIN. The Nissan service department hates when they see my truck because they always have to fight their system to get the VIN to come up in their system.

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:55 AM
BWV

Garage

Hehe... I assumed the OP would know about DRL if it came with them... hehehehe...

Hope I didn't send you on a snipe hunt!! The others are right...sorry

Mods/Add-ons - RK Sport Hood, ASC/Signature 925 Sunroof, Leer 550 Tonneau, Bilstein 5100's(middle perch), Wade In-Channel Deflectors, Nissan Bed Extender, 20"126W light-bar, DNA Motoring Black Headlamps, LED Bed Lights(tied to cargo light), DIY Arduino Auto Headlamp Control, Plasti-Dipped Emblems and Burgers
Audio System - JVC KW-AV60BT, 2)Alpine 3522, 1)Alpine MRV-M500, Infinity Reference 9603ix(FR Door), Reference 075tx(Dash), JBL P882(RR Door), Polk DB1040(Sub)

"No problem can be solved by the same kind of thinking that created it." -Albert Einstein
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:54 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWV View Post
Hehe... I assumed the OP would know about DRL if it came with them... hehehehe...

Hope I didn't send you on a snipe hunt!! The others are right...sorry
Yeah, the issue is, it isn't mentioned many places because being a Canadian truck, it's not the norm. So I could see where he might be confused since normal Titans don't have DRL.

By the way, pulling the relay also does nothing. The relay just flips the headlights between DRL mode and high beam, so pulling the relay supposedly just sets them to full high beam instead of DRL where they run at a lower voltage.

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your replies, i had no idea about the DRL with this truck. Its not a big deal when im driving on the street as its always grey and overcast here in washington anyways. Could you run the lights to a completely seperate aftermarket switch somehow. Never been good at electrical ha
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:52 PM
Premium User

With it being government mandate in Canada, i would assume they wouldnt make it easy to disable. What is the inconvenience of having them on? aside from not being able to tail someone on a dark road. lol

Titan mod list

WhinyWhore™
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 03:06 PM
Premium User

Thanked 26,393 Times in 15,713 Posts
iTrader Score: 20 reviews

https://www.google.com/search?q=niss...obile&ie=UTF-8

It has to be in there somewhere.

BaldWhore
Starfishwhore

Red meat is not bad for you.
Fuzzy green meat is bad for you.

You know you had a great night last night when you make it home the next day missing more than half your clothes.

It's not the zombies you have to watch out for. It's the stupid people.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 03:46 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
You would think, but I've found info for pretty much every Nissan except the Titan. A lot of them have a module to control the DRL behind the trim in the driver side foot well, but all of them that are running the DRL module turn off with the parking brake.

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:52 PM
BWV

Garage

I'll go peek at the FSM...
I know the DRL circuit has a relay across the hi-beams that runs em in series...

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:19 PM
BWV

Garage

So.. here's a diagram of how it works
(In the interest of simplicity, I left out the fuses and detail the FSM would have.)

If you pull the DRL relay, and Jump terminals 3 and 4 in the socket, you will be all set... No More DRL, and High beams will work as in the US version.

Edit... Be real sure you do a decent job with the jumper.. if it fails... no high beams.
I claim no responsibility for this post if you fry something...
Attached Thumbnails
Headlights always on??-drl-circuit.jpg  

Last edited by BWV; 03-20-2017 at 07:39 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to BWV For This Useful Post:
REDRUM (03-21-2017)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top