Brake Issues...Not judder - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Problems & Dealer Service Having a problem with your truck? Dealer service got you down? Let us know here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Brake Issues...Not judder

My brakes on my 2004 titan seem to be going into antilock mode at random times. I have taken the truck in several times and cant get any answer as to why this is happening. I have had the final brake fix for judder, and have had the pedal adjusted. Sometimes when I press the pedal it feels "spongy" and the brakes do not seem to work well and it is accompanied by a odd noise from in the engine compartment. I have been told this is the ABS engaging, problem is that its engaging when i dont need it and without any warning. Has anyone else had this problem? Anyone know how to disable the ABS system? I have pulled the harness for it, but this also lights up all the warning lights on the dash and deactivates the speedometer.
Help! I really like this truck, but unless this gets fixed its days are numbered.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 11:25 PM

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Re: Brake Issues...Not judder

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidb
My brakes on my 2004 titan seem to be going into antilock mode at random times. I have taken the truck in several times and cant get any answer as to why this is happening. I have had the final brake fix for judder, and have had the pedal adjusted. Sometimes when I press the pedal it feels "spongy" and the brakes do not seem to work well and it is accompanied by a odd noise from in the engine compartment. I have been told this is the ABS engaging, problem is that its engaging when i dont need it and without any warning. Has anyone else had this problem? Anyone know how to disable the ABS system? I have pulled the harness for it, but this also lights up all the warning lights on the dash and deactivates the speedometer.
Help! I really like this truck, but unless this gets fixed its days are numbered.

Thanks!
Have you tried another dealer? They are NOT all the same.

2004 Titan CC LE - Born 10/04

Mods:
  1. Westin Bull Bar
  2. Custom Exhaust
  3. 2" leveling Kit
  4. K&N drop in filter with stock air box mod
  5. Cooper ST Tires
  6. Active Tuning grounding kit
  7. Under seat storage bin
  8. Silver Star Halogen Headlights
  9. Nissan Sliding tool box

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

No I have only tried the one. I called the Nissan 1800 number friday afternoon. They are looking into it and are supposed to let me know if there is anything they can do. At this point im not sure if it is the abs causing the problem or if the abs coming on is a result of some other issue. All i can say is that its a little scary when it happens. If Nissan corp doesnt offer up some good suggestions as to a solution (that I feel like will fix it) I may consider giving another dealer a chance. My dealer offered up a suggestion to replace the brake booster, but its a farily expensive repair and they couldnt say it would fix the truck for sure. They say they have consulted with Nissan tech and that was the suggestion they offered to fix it.
Im not trying to badmouth the truck, i really like it, but this doesnt leave me feeling very confident in it. We are pretty loyal to Nissan, my wife drives a pathfinder and i traded a beloved Maxima for the truck.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 12:47 AM

I had the same problem two weeks after the final fix. You have to get the truck to a dealer while the trouble is active. Do not shut the truck off nor change the gear selector. Drive up and brake carefully and let them read the code. For me the code was for a defective brake booster.
The service manager at DeLand Nissan had me call 1800NISSAN1 and start a claim. I basically stated I felt the booster failed prematurely due to overworking before the final fix for brake judder. I was polite and honest. I had high mileage at 60000, most at highway speeds and basically no towing. I did mention that I would understand if they couldn't cover all of the repair and would settle for a percentage. It took about a week and they covered the repair at 100%.
It took less than the two hours they said they needed and threw in a free car wash. I took the money I would have spent and bought a NISMO CAI.
I think I came out on top.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 05:14 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to WallyBFTW

I did have the trouble but I think I caught it in time and installed the support bracket and not a problem since, I have 17,000 + now on my 05, but I did add prake pros cross drilled and slotted rotors and get this she will stop at 40 mph about 3 feet past a 350Z. Oh and the truck stays pretty level as well. Good luck with your 04!

Wally B
Fort Worth Texas

2005 Titan SE NISMO Intake,Banks CAT Back, 20's, Brake Pro drilled and slotted rotors front and back
master bracket...................more to come

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

FireWalker42-
How long has it been since you replaced the booster???
The last time I took mine in they adjusted the pedal and said to wait and see if that fixed it. It lasted about 4 or 5 months before doing it again.
Also I did take the truck in with the brakes not working. They said the brakes wouldnt store a code and basically a couple of mechanics and the service manager stood around scratching their heads and shrugging their shoulders.

Thanks so much for responding! I was hoping someone could confirm that the booster would fix the truck for me, before paying the price for it, since the dealer was a little "iffy" on whether it would help or not.
I also drive ALOT of highway miles...I have 76000 on my truck so far...

Thanks!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 09:16 PM

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyBFTW
I did have the trouble but I think I caught it in time and installed the support bracket and not a problem since, I have 17,000 + now on my 05, but I did add prake pros cross drilled and slotted rotors and get this she will stop at 40 mph about 3 feet past a 350Z. Oh and the truck stays pretty level as well. Good luck with your 04!
Where did you get the support bracket?

2004 Titan CC LE - Born 10/04

Mods:
  1. Westin Bull Bar
  2. Custom Exhaust
  3. 2" leveling Kit
  4. K&N drop in filter with stock air box mod
  5. Cooper ST Tires
  6. Active Tuning grounding kit
  7. Under seat storage bin
  8. Silver Star Halogen Headlights
  9. Nissan Sliding tool box

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 09:28 PM
Premium User

iTrader Score: 49 reviews

Stillen sells the support bracket. My brakes are also spongey and I have taken it to 3 different dealers.

2007 Blizzard with Charcoal/Titanium interior SE CC 4x4 with off road, tow, popular bench, and utility bed packages
Mods to date:
2.5" leveling kit, PRG endlinks, PRG UCA's, PRG motors & Trans mounts, PRG deavor HD AAL, PRG shackles, Ride-rite air bags, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Procomp M/T2 295/55/20s on Chrome Moto Metal 956, Amp Research Steps, Chrome mirror caps, Color matched Bushwackers, Leer 700 Toneau cover, Rubber bed mat, 2009 Chrome grille, UPREV, Air Aid MXP intake , JBA EVOL stainless cat-back, JVC Kw-avx800 7" in dash dvd, 7" DEI wide screen headrest monitors, Infinity Reference 6 1/2's in rear and 6x9's in front, Kenwood KAC-9105d mono amp, 2 12" Kenwood excelon subs in tech12 box, Prodigy brake controller, Ventshade door sill protectors, LEGIT Accessories L.E.D.s everywhere
Other rides:
2010 Nissan Maxima SV with sport pk
2011 Polaris Rzr4 800 Robby Gordon Tricked out
2012 Polaris Rzr4 800 EPS LE Robby Gordon
2005 Lightining 23xs- Mid cuddy with open bow, 350 mag, Bravo II outdrive, High Five stainless prop
2013 Eclipse Attitude 26FSG Toy Hauler
2013 Cougar 27RLSWE Travel Trailer
Past Nissans owned
1991 Harbody, 2004 Titan XE, 2005 sentra, 2009 Altima, 2011 sentra
Titan drivers in my family:Grandma 2004 CC XE, Great uncle 2004 KC LE, Dad 2008 CC SE, 2 Uncles with 2010 CC SE's, and I'm on my 2nd one.
: :
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 11:12 PM

This only happened two weeks ago. Like I said I kept the truck running and did not change the gear selector, left it in drive. The mechanic connected his reader while I was still in the drivers seat applying the brakes. The mechanic also told me it wouldn't store the code, that is why I left it running. I did notice during the week and a half I drove after they read the code and was waiting on NISSAN that as long as I didn't brake hard I never had the ABS kick in. Talk to the mechanic again and try and bring it in again with the trouble.
After thought... when the ABS kicked in I also got the "brake" warning light. This may be why they were able to get a code.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Just spoke with the regional service manager on the phone. Nissan is not offering to help in any way with the repair. Also since the dealer hasnt entered me in as having brought my truck in for repair each time into the computer system (they have just looked it over and sent me on my way) then Nissan doesnt acknowledge that the truck has been in for any issues at all.
So
Considering all the issues with the brake system on this truck I dont know that its worth keeping it if Nissan isnt going to make it right.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

After shopping around for trucks and then recovering from the sticker shock I am going to give the repair suggested by my dealer a try. I am a little concerned about spending the money on a repair that the dealer "guessed" might be the problem. But its cheaper than a new truck. Hopefully this will fix it. In the meantime i will just try to remember to leave extra space between me and whoever is in front of me.
I understand the Titan made the consumer reports list of least realiable vehicles for 2006! What a great product.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 11:58 PM

I know it has been a while but finally remembered to bring in my invoices.
The code was C1179 Delta Sensor. Really sad they couldn't pull the code while you had the trouble active.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 11:33 AM

Firewalker, did they replace booster or master cylinder? I have been having similar prob, no ABS but pedal drops at idle(long stoplight) if i push hard I can bottom not only booster but master cyl also. In my world the brake pedal should never ever hit the floor under any condition at any time. I have been able to do this several times. Dealer says no prob(several times) and they have been great about everything else. I need tires and was going to lift but not on a truck I can't trust brakes.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 06:57 PM

Guys There Is A New Program For The Brake Booster Problem Call Nissan And Get Them To Check For New Tsb Only Came Out Last Week You Have To Reprogram The Brake Module
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksls94
Guys There Is A New Program For The Brake Booster Problem Call Nissan And Get Them To Check For New Tsb Only Came Out Last Week You Have To Reprogram The Brake Module
I need info on this, some link where I could print it from to show to my dealer?

My truck is at the dealership for this same issue, I have 30k on it... the replaced the brakes(brake fix) @ about 15k... Ive taken the truck several times because the pedal goes all the way to the bottom, the first couple they bleed the system and it didnt work, then they replaced the master cylinder and it didnt work, now they are gonna replace the brake booster in which the service manager is 99% sure thats gonna work....

2004 SE CC 4x4,Off-Road Package, Big-Tow Package, Nissan Seat Covers, Toolbox, bed extender, Silverstars, 4 Hella 500 driving lights

Suspension Mods:
Rancho 4" Lift with RSX9000 and Remote
BFG MT/KO 35"x12.5"r17

Audio Mods:
Alpine MRP-F450 amp, Infinity 6x9s, Eclipse 12" ported sub...

Cooming soon:
HIDs and Yellow Fogs...

The Following User Says Thank You to K-MU For This Useful Post:
neworleanstitan (06-04-2009)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top