First signs of rear end problem?? - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Problems & Dealer Service Having a problem with your truck? Dealer service got you down? Let us know here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 07:24 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
First signs of rear end problem??

I have an 06 titan crew cab with 800 miles already have a clicking noise at slow shape turns, like parking and such. also have a vibration from 40 thru 25 when off the gas, with or without the brakes. it is a little worse with brakes applied, but is is almost as bad without. any one have these problems?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 07:31 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 2,279 Times in 1,391 Posts
Re: First signs of rear end problem??

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1502TITAN
I have an 06 titan crew cab with 800 miles already have a clicking noise at slow shape turns, like parking and such. also have a vibration from 40 thru 25 when off the gas, with or without the brakes. it is a little worse with brakes applied, but is is almost as bad without. any one have these problems?
Well from your headline on the post, I'd say when there's burning and itching but that's a bad joke!

That sounds like a suspension issue and may be a misaligned drive shaft...somewhere on the Forum someone brought that up however I thought that the problem occurred at all speeds.

Has the dealer seen/heard what you have experienced?

HippieWhore™
Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

Carlisle Truck Nationals
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/nort...ml#post3967762
#3 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1502TITAN
First signs of rear end problem??
When you pull the drain plug and see part numbers on the chunks that come out...

Born on 01/2004

K&N Filter Charger and prefilter...........Stubby antenna
Westin Bull bar.........................................Front tint
PRG leveling kit........................dss90c LED bed lights
Access tonneau cover.................Stainless bug guard
GT seat covers.........................Tailgate assist spring
Husky floor mats.............Tailgate key fob locking mod
Banks "Monster" exhaust.......................Keyless entry
AT grounding kit................................HID headlights
Grille inserts.....................295/70 R17 Nitto Grapplers
Alum. rear diff. cover...........................HID fog lights
next?
#4 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 05:01 AM

Going to the dealer monday, we will see how that goes. problem with vibration is getting worse.
#5 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 09:56 AM

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebasher
When you pull the drain plug and see part numbers on the chunks that come out...
how can you really tell if a rear end is going out? i can see if some shavings and chunks came out but how else?
#6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-in
how can you really tell if a rear end is going out? i can see if some shavings and chunks came out but how else?
Mine didn't go out completely, but started out hearing a whine at highway speed coming from the rearend, then within a couple hundred milies my diff lock and slip lights came on. I took it in and was told a bad sensor, they replaced the entire rearend.

Yomama -

2005 4x4 Canteen Crewcab SE with BT, OR, Utiltrak and Popular Package.
Ziebart rust proofing
A.R.E. Z series topper
Myron and Davis DVD for the kiddies, DDX7015 for me Kenwood amp and lightning amp on 8" polk sub. Audiovox remote starter (with satellite link)
Zoomers (No Drone) exhaust
AEM intake
Stillen Headers

2002 Hyundai Santa FE (The wifes)
2001 Polaris 700 Twin ATV
1996 28' Bayliner Cierra Sun

http://www.yomama.net
#7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yomama
Mine didn't go out completely, but started out hearing a whine at highway speed coming from the rearend, then within a couple hundred milies my diff lock and slip lights came on. I took it in and was told a bad sensor, they replaced the entire rearend.
i see, thanks
#8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 05:44 PM

Has anyone considered that maybe the Pinion Bearing pre-load has been set to high, and basically the roller bearings, and bearing races are just plain getting to hot, and inevitably burning up?

I had a 93 porsche 968 that had the problem crop up at around 29,000 miles on the odometer. It starts as a light whining sound at higher speeds, and as the bearing and race surface continue to deteriorate, the whining gets louder and his more noticeable at lower speeds. These cars had a Getrag 6 speed manual rear mounted transaxle tranny. A large percentage of the 968 Porches from production year 1992 through 1995 experienced this problem. It was definitely found via tranny break-downs in shops that the Pinion bearing pre-load was to tight, and just plain heated up the bearings and their race surfaces. You could actually see a carbonization of the roller bearins and races steel surfaces.......as a blackening or darkening in color. Getrag blew it right from the factory.

Porsche North America to this day has never reimbursed a single 968 owner who had to fork up out-of-pocket expenses ranging from $2,000. to $3,000 for tranny rebuilds with proper pinion pre-load.

Most of the trannsaxles failed just a few miles beyond the warranty period, or failed with low enough miles, but already had exceeded the 3 year warranty period.

These 968's were the poor man's Porsche, if you can call any Porsche a poor mans car. They retailed between $39k and $50k depending on what year and what options.

You expect some dealer or factory support when literally thousands of a Marque are experiencing troubles associated with manufacturing and not driver abuse. N. American Porsche snubbed all out of warranty owners.
That whining in those Dana 44's sure makes me wonder, as whining usually is a tell-tale sign of something not getting enough lub and something having too, tight a tolerances.......
It's a thought.

Regards, Eightballsidepocket

"If it can't be said face to face, it isn't worth saying while hiding behind a P.C."

Last edited by eightballsidepocket; 09-22-2006 at 06:30 PM.
#9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 04:55 PM

F1502TITAN, I have 2500 miles on 06 SE King Cab and have had the same problem in the 25-40mph range at about 400 miles. But unlike yours mine gets worse when I apply the brake OR the accelerator. I just took the truck in this morning for the 3rd time and three tires out of alignment, but it did not fix the problem. Not sure what is wrong with it. This is geting old.
#10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 06:40 PM

front axle always moving (no lockout hubs) will have a little roughness at full lock. if more than that check cv's for clicking. tire balance or out of round? jack up put jack stand next to tire tread for referance and spin by hand. look for wobble. drive shaft balance? check it out.
#11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 03:41 PM

Thanks squatch, I will look for that. does the wobble in the wheel check for drive shaft balance or tires that aren't round? How often will tires not be round? I did not actually know that tires could not be full round.
#12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yomama
I've had the highway speed whine for the last 6,000 miles (currently around 14,000 miles on the odometer). I replaced the differential oil soon after I started hearing the whine and observed nothing unusual. Nissan replaced the differential fluid recently when they replaced the passenger's side rear axel seal. They did not report anything ubnormal. Today, I was driving my Titan and the slip warning light came on and stayed on for around 15 miles until I shut off the engine. When I drove it again later, the slip light did not come on, but I only drove once since then... I will keep an eye on it, but the slip light certainly did not make me feel good.

'06 White 4x2 CC LE w/ Big Tow & Bench Seat
San Antonio, Texas
#13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 06:52 PM

went to dealer today. they said that it was the tires causing the vibration so i ask the tech...... all titans with the goodyear wrangler tire have the same vibration. since it is blamed on the size of the lugs on the tires. then i got the deer in the headlights look and no answer!!! the clicking is blamed on lose wind up clips on the leaf springs, they ordered those so we will see when they replace them. i have a friend that works at goodyear and i am going to ask if they have had any problems with those tires. not to impressed with my first visit to the dealer service dept.
#14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 07:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to MississippiTitan

im taking mine in tomm. to get oil change and mine still does whine only at 40 mph I will see what they say.
#15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 06:33 PM

I have similar vibration 25-30, have gone through hell with dealer but making headway. I discovered center support bearing rubber mount is cracked, dealer is ordering one for me (after "borrowing" 4 tires from a Titan on the lot to eliminate them as cause). This may be the cause or another symptom of a bigger problem.
BTW, if your dealers say it is a tire problem, have them switch out tires from another truck. If they refuse then they are hiding something.

Jump to top