rack and pinion - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Problems & Dealer Service Having a problem with your truck? Dealer service got you down? Let us know here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
rack and pinion

i just took my truck to the dealer and they think that the rack and pinion is shot. there is about a half inch of play in it when it is underload and turning the steering wheel back and forth slightly. it is an 06 with 10000 miles on it. what do you think. they said that they will just warranty it out, so they arent trying to get any money out of me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 20,353 Times in 13,764 Posts
iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Carbeaux
Re: rack and pinion

Let them do it. I haven't heard of this being a common occurrence, so I hope it's an anomaly, and have them replace. I'm coming up quickly on that same mileage, so I really do hope it's not common. Let us know if the stealer tips his hand at anything to the contrary.

Hook 'Em!
AKA TroubleWhore™AKA HitAndMissWhore™AKA RockyWhore™AKA SigPicNaziWhore™
You don't have to attend every argument you're invited to.
2006 King Cab, LE, 2WD Radiant Silver, Born 04/06, Bought by me on 06/27/06
Click here for a list of my mods-Click here to see my photo gallery
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2006, 06:16 AM

iTrader Score: 4 reviews

I have an 05 CC and I think mine is going as well. Did you get any rattling noises or was it just sloppy?
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2006, 11:08 AM

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

I have the same problem (@35k mi.) and the dealer stated that this was normal and characteristic of the titan..... I think they're bs'in me as this is defintely not normal. In my case, it only does it when turning left. The dealer I had visited was Nissan of Buena Park, CA. Maybe I should take it to another dealer?!?!

2005 Titan SE Crew Cab
Popular pkg w/ Rockford Fosgate - Captain Chair - Traction - Big Tow - Utility Bed pkgs
Performance Mods:
Banks exhaust - Injen Technology intake
Exterior Mods:
TREX 1pc billet upper grill w/ bumper insert - OEM yellow fog lights - H.I.D. 6000k low beams
Silverstars high beams
Suspension Mods: (PRG'd by Greg)
CST 4" spindle - Sway-A-Way Racerunner 2.5 coilovers - Total Chaos upper control arms
PRG Traction bars - CST carrier bearing kit - Deaver 2" mini leaf spring pack
Bilstein 5125 12" shocks - 2" blocks
Tires:
OEM wheels w/ 35/12.50R18 Kumho Road Venture MT KL71
OEM Mods:
Hood deflector - Steps - Rubber mats
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 10:12 AM

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

My dealer gave me the same line of BS that it's normal wear and there's no possibility for play to occur in the rack and pinion.

So I climbed under there and inspected everything after the last visit to the dealer.

What I found is that both left and right tie rod ends were completely shot. When turning the wheel back and forth quickly, just a little ways, you could even hear them clunk. At 30k miles, that's not too impressive. The bushings that mount the rack and pinion are also showing excessive signs of wear in my opinion, but the dealer wouldn't agree.

The dealer replaced them, but gave me a hard time since I have larger tires than stock on there.

Night and day difference in how the vehicle drives!! That definitely fixed my problem. I started feeling this play with only about 7k miles on it, before the lift was installed too, and I've complained about it several times since.

I hope this was a fluke and I don't have to replace tie rod ends every 30k miles . They are pretty tiny for a 1/2 truck in my opinion... Maybe someone will come up with an upgrade.

04 Smoke Titan CC LE on 20's
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 02:26 PM

Related problem...I had to replace the steering pump/assembly on my '06 XE CC at only 625 mi....then just this week, replaced again along with the rack at 15000 mi at 2nd dealership....seems 1st one screwed up....tech said he has not seen 2 go out on same truck....
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 02:39 PM

iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 714Titan
I have the same problem (@35k mi.) and the dealer stated that this was normal and characteristic of the titan..... I think they're bs'in me as this is defintely not normal. In my case, it only does it when turning left. The dealer I had visited was Nissan of Buena Park, CA. Maybe I should take it to another dealer?!?!
Take it to Performance Nissan in Duarte. It will be worth the drive. Just ask for Tim Lange. They are really stand up guys there, Tim will make things right. He takes care of all the tsb's on my truck without even me complaining about them.

2010 Dodge Ram Power Wagon
ICON sponsored, going to SEMA 2011, lots of mods

2011 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Sport
Ground Force 2/3 drop, 24" BOSS 330's, true dual exhaust with 11" Magnaflow muffler and x pipe, Volant intake

2007 Nissan Xterra Off Road
PRG Mini Lift
JBA Cat Back
K&N Drop In
CB Radio

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you're a mile away, and you have their shoes.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 12:36 PM

First time posting here, so please bear with me. I've just got off the phone with the local dealer in Phoenix to let him know that there is a ton of noise when turning left to right as well. I took a look and the rubber boots on the rack and pinion had a ton of oil on them. Only have 3k miles on it, and just lifted it worried that the dealership would come back to me and say it's since been voided because of the lift. Find out on Monday.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillir21
First time posting here, so please bear with me. I've just got off the phone with the local dealer in Phoenix to let him know that there is a ton of noise when turning left to right as well. I took a look and the rubber boots on the rack and pinion had a ton of oil on them. Only have 3k miles on it, and just lifted it worried that the dealership would come back to me and say it's since been voided because of the lift. Find out on Monday.
It depends, did your lift alter the angle of the steering arms? If everything has been kept at factory angles, you're fine. In otherwords if your lift included new knuckles you're probably fine.

If your lift didn't include new knuckles and you put the steering arms at a steeper angle than stock, that could be the cause of the problem and wouldn't be covered under warranty.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 12:49 PM

I did (or the installer did should I say). Either way, I forgot to mention I noticed the fluid on there when I had it on the rack (before installing the lift). I guess I got a little over zealous and had it installed not thinking I might get grief for taking it in after.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillir21
I did (or the installer did should I say). Either way, I forgot to mention I noticed the fluid on there when I had it on the rack (before installing the lift). I guess I got a little over zealous and had it installed not thinking I might get grief for taking it in after.
As long as your angles are correct you shouldn't have to worry, especially with that low of mileage

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 01:29 PM

Thanks RR, just noticed you're from SLC. Not to get off the subject, but I'll be heading to my place in PC hopefully when the resorts open up. If you see a Smoke Titan LE (hopefully with a new Rack and Pinion) give a headlight Flash.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 06:59 PM

I am hearing the same clunk noise when I make left turns. Only 6K miles on the truck.

Calling the dealer in the morning.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 08:30 PM

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

I just bought my wife an 2003 Chevy Malibu with 4,700 miles. It was my Dad's since new. Her R & P was also shot, got it replaced 2 weeks before original warranty ran out. Glad I've got a 5/75 extended warranty to transfer over for just 69 bucks transfer fee.

2006 XE CC Pref Pkg BT with AEM Brute Force CAI, PowerAid TB Spacer, TB Reversed Valve ByPass Mod, 2007+ Intake, JBA Headers, MagnaFlow 24" Muffler, 2008+ Rear Axle, Stillen: F & R Sway Bars, Black Diff Cover, Engine Dress Up Kit, 4 pc StreetScene SS Mesh Grille, PRG End Links, Street Traction Bars & Shackles, UpRev Osiris Tuner 93 Performance Tuned, 18" SE Rims, Functional Hood Scoop ...

IRC VK56 Member "Special Operations"

MD Chapter Director
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top