Nissan Titan Forum banner

Leaking oil from transfer case?

4K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  thejosh 
#1 ·
Well I just got my titan yesterday and last night I took if for some light off roading, nothing major. Now my transfer case is leaking onto my driveway. Its all over the skidplate on the bottom of the truck. I am taking it to the dealer on friday. Anyone else have this problem?

#2 ·
Nissan had some trouble with loose TC Bolts in the past....although I thought they had that all cleared up.

I had to have mine replaced because of this.

#3 ·
Yeah I took for a quick spin in some sand a sec ago to give the 4hi a bit of a work out and came home to take a look. Looks like its leaking right out of that crack.

Some more questions: What exactly is it leaking? How much can leak out before my truck dies? where do I keep that fluid filled up?

I think I know the answer to these questions but just want some verification from you guys

#4 · (Edited)
Keep out of 4x4...and you should be ok.

It's leaking TC fluid, which is transmission fluid (nissan D....thanks best).
Your truck shouldn't "die" from this but if your TC goes you will lose 4 wheel drive capability.

If all the fluid drains out, you will hear a grinding sound as something in there spins even when 4wheel is disengaged (I know real technical explanation, sorry)

#5 ·
Looks like it leaks in just 2wd also. I am taking it in next friday to the dealer. On yours did they just replace the bolts and the gasket?

#6 ·
nanoage said:
Looks like it leaks in just 2wd also. I am taking it in next friday to the dealer. On yours did they just replace the bolts and the gasket?
Next Friday ?????/ Is it your daily driver ????.If so, how many miles ???
Just be careful not to burn anything up or damage something else while driving...Adavis is probably right but don`t take a chance with your truck....Good luck !!!!

#7 ·
The truck itself has about 13k miles on it. It is only a 5-10mile drive to work. The dealer that I am going to is more like 20 miles away. That where I bought it.

Where does the transfer case get filled? Can I fill it up so I can make it till friday?

#8 ·
nanoage said:
The truck itself has about 13k miles on it. It is only a 5-10mile drive to work. The dealer that I am going to is more like 20 miles away. That where I bought it.

Where does the transfer case get filled? Can I fill it up so I can make it till friday?
You should have a drain plug and a filler plug...Just get under there and look for the plugs...I`m gonna change my TC oil tomorrow and will post my findings....

#10 ·
bestatchess said:
Transfer case takes Nissan Matic D ATF, not gear oil.

Make sure you are not confusing front diff & transfer case.
Thanks Best, i will be sure not to F`up......:huh:

#11 ·
bestatchess said:
Transfer case takes Nissan Matic D ATF, not gear oil.

Make sure you are not confusing front diff & transfer case.

Thanks best, I tried to make it clear in my original post that I was unsure what it used...thanks for posting the correct info.

#12 ·
Mines leaking too, they said they were going to replace some switches or something. Sucks though now cause it's snowing and I hope I don't need 4wd, parts haven't come in yet.

#14 ·
DStewart said:
Mines leaking too, they said they were going to replace some switches or something. Sucks though now cause it's snowing and I hope I don't need 4wd, parts haven't come in yet.
How much fluid is yours leaking? or does it only leak when in 4wd?

#16 ·
nanoage said:
Mine leaked a little after I got the truck, but that was almost a year ago and it has been fine ever since the dealer tightened two bolts that goes from the transfer case to the tranny.

Good luck.

#17 ·
Geez, there's so much to go wrong on these complex vehicles.

I read all these posts and I almost get paranoid when I'm driving my three week old Titan around. I seriously freaked out driving through the rain a few days ago, thinking I was filling my intake full of water because of some of these posts.

I wonder if they make pills for this.

#18 ·
a bit off topic sorry..
******* - let us know how it goes :) And are you using the Nissan ATF? or Amisol? I guess I saw a thread about this in a search. Just curious.

Tread lightly nano. Hope for the best for ya.

KellyJ there is such a thing to help you from being paranoid. Its knowledge :) Im still trying to get a handle on that.

#19 ·
nanoage said:
How much fluid is yours leaking? or does it only leak when in 4wd?

Mine leaks all the time. The dealer put in a new switch and claimed all was good. Took the truck home and checked on it again a couple of hours later and it was still leaking:futwice: . Crawled under it and sprayed and wiped down with carb cleaner and when I came out in the morning I had another puddle a couple of inches in diameter under the truck. I took the truck back to the dealer, they said they put it up in the air and let in run for a bit but couldn't see any leak:futwice: . I took the truck home and crawled under it and cleaned it up with carb cleaner again and went inside to eat dinner. I came out less than an hour later and had drips under the truck. Looks to me like it is leaking from the seal where the front driveshaft mounts and goes into the TC.

Sorry so long....................I swear I only drive this thing on the weekends and to the dealer.

#20 ·
Looks like it was the seal where the rear drive shaft connects to the transfer case that was leaking. The dealer had to order the part. So I have to wait till wednesday to get that replaced.

#21 ·
adavis99 said:
Nissan had some trouble with loose TC Bolts in the past....although I thought they had that all cleared up.

I had to have mine replaced because of this.
2 weeks ago I noticed leaking and throught it was from the rear diff but they told me it was a loose bolt on the tranny-transfer case. Well the leaking never stopped and I thought maybe they didnt clean it up but I noticed after I whiped it clean it still leaked.. so Today I talked to the tech and he said it was loose.. so the first guy either didnt tighten it like he said or it came loose again? hopefully no more leaking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.