Engine Hot Stalls - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Problems & Dealer Service Having a problem with your truck? Dealer service got you down? Let us know here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 08:47 AM

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Engine Hot Stalls

I have a problem. When my truck is warmed up, and say I go into Subway at lunch to grab a sandwich. When I come back out to leave, my truck will start, then either almost stall or stall. I can get it started, but have to pump the gas. When it is cold it will start everytime no problem. Once it is started it never dies either. The dealer calls it a hot stall. I can get it to stutter for them but not comepletely stall. They need it to completely stall to diagnose it. It dies on me daily when it has warmed up and I leave and come back to start it again. This is getting frustrating. Please help.

2007 Titan Crew XE 4x2

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 09:09 AM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 3,361 Times in 2,228 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Re: Engine Hot Stalls

Do you get any codes (SES)?

2014 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Titan/Armada Part Numbers

Frequently asked fuse locations

305.5 WHP, 370.4 ft/lbs tq
#3 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballfanz
Do you get any codes (SES)?
I do not think they can get it to give any codes unless it completely stalls out. They have it at the dealer today. I am going to call later to see if they figured it out. Hopefully they got it to give them a code if they got it to completely stall.

2007 Titan Crew XE 4x2

#4 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 08:33 AM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

This isnt happening to my Titan, but our Grand Prix is doing that. It will start right up if its cool, but restarts it will take a long time and sometimes stall. It turned out that the fuel regulator was malfunctioning... so basically the car was getting too much fuel. Our car never has a SES light during this as well. I guess its common on GM vehicles. I don't know if that is the case with your truck, but the symptoms you are describing are identical to what our car was doing. Maybe the tech can at least check it out.

2005 SE KC 4x4: Bedliner and Floor Mats ... thats it.

Add ons: 2* Timing Advance, Extang Black Max Tonneau Cover, OEM Fog Lamp Kit, OEM Hitch Package, Lund Hood Shield, Amsoil EaA104 Air Filter, Earnhardt "Intimidator" License Frame.

Adopted: December 10, 2005
Mileage: 32,445
Left Home: November 29, 2007
#5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 08:04 PM

The computer should set soft codes (codes that are not yet bad enough to trip light) and hard codes (those that trip light) the dealership should be able to get both and have some sort of indication of where to go. Unfortunatly your problem can be many things. I have seen what gunner had on his Grand Prix, I have seen the engine coolant sensor be off at normal operating temp, electrical issues with either the plug wires, plugs, coils, battery cables. Typically when it stalls when warm you lean to electrical, but as you know it's usually not what you think it is.

2004 Titan CC 4X2 LE Canteen
Big Tow Package

"SUB out going sinker"
#6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 08:14 PM

Thanks guys! The dealer adjusted the idle and throttle, and it seems to have done the trick. I will let you know.

2007 Titan Crew XE 4x2

#7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 08:22 PM

egr will cause this, but i dont think we have egr systems on our trucks... sounds like a fuel problem to me.... maybe too much of it.... especially if it acts fine in cold weather.... another thing to think about is electronic components typically fail and start to break down when hot....

Truck: 2007 Smoke KC SE 4WD OR/BT, pop. package w/buckets
Born: 11/2006
Mine: 11/30/2006

Click For Mods

Click For Exhaust and Other Videos

1/4 Mile Best: 14.6@92.03
1/8 Mile Best: 9.3@73.36
#8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 08:32 PM

Here is a cut and paste from the Maintenance manual. Unfortunatly they do not break it down into hot/cold stall. These are the #1's from the manual.

Fuel System - Fuel pump circuit, Injector circuit
Air - Electric throttle control actuator
Ignition - Ignition circuit
A/F sensor 1 circuit
Engine coolant temperature sensor circuit
Mass air flow sensor circuit
Throttle position sensor circuit
Cranking Curcuit - Battery, Generator circuit
NVIS (Nissan Vehicle Immobilizer System —NATS)

Do you have any mods to the truck? This would steer you to start in a specific area.

Big Tow Package

"SUB out going sinker"
#9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 08:34 PM

Should have re-read the post before looking in the manual. I would have saved some typing What was your idle speed before correction?

Big Tow Package

"SUB out going sinker"
#10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 03:48 PM

I was having the same problem. I cleaned my throttle body and my mass airflow sensor. It runs fine now and took about 5 min.
#11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 12:11 PM

Try taking a look at this recall. I have the same issue and after looking at alot of forums and posts I'm hoping this will be it. Dropping it off at the dealership tomorrow. I'll post in a week or so to let you know if it works.
Here's the recall:
OCTOBER 2010 -- Nissan is recalling certain model year 2004-2006 Armada, Titan, Infiniti QX56 and model year 2005- 2006 Frontier, Pathfinder and Xterra Vehicles. The intelligent power distribution module (IPDM) assembly contains an engine control module (ECM) relay that has a diode for electrical current noise reduction. The ECM relay may allow silicon vapor to form and, over time, the silicon evaporates from the diode molding which causes silicon oxide to develop on the ECM relay contact due to arcing. This could cause engine stalling increasing the risk of a crash. Dealers will replace the ECM relay inside the IPDM assembly. This service will be performed free of charge. The safety recall is expected to begin during December 2010. 10V-517

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top