Truck Dies While Driving - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Problems & Dealer Service Having a problem with your truck? Dealer service got you down? Let us know here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 06:54 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Question Truck Dies While Driving

Hey Everyone...I've been reading a lot of threads on here and finally decided to register and post. My name is Matt from Oklahoma City. I bought my first Titan...a 2004 Crew Cab in November 2005. I absolutely love the truck and have had ZERO problems since then. However, I've had an issue in the last week or so that has me and the dealership stumped. I've read a few other threads with people that have had similar issues, but I never saw any consistent answer as to what may be the problem. Here's the rundown...

Sunday, March 2nd...I had just left home and had been driving for about a mile and a half. It was in the 30's outside so it was pretty cold. After leaving from a stoplight, the truck started to hesitate and I saw that the service engine light started flashing (yes, flashing), then the battery light started flashing, then the oil light starting flashing,...not all at the same time but one after the other...then the engine temperature just bottomed out to cold. At that time the truck completely died. I was going about 25-30 mph at the time. I still had brakes thankfully, but the steering was gone. I got the truck to pull off the road and I turned the key off. I waited a few minutes and then tried to start it again. It started right up and I was able to drive it home with no problems. However, the vehicle immobilizer light came on and stayed on the entire way home. When I got home I turned the truck off and started it right back up and the light went off.

The next day I drove to work and back...no problems.

On Tuesday morning I went to the Nissan dealership and they looked over it for 2 hours and said they could find nothing wrong. I drove to work fine and stopped at the store on the way home. Upon leaving the store, I pulled out of the parking lot and pulled right up to a stop light. The service engine light started flashing, the battery light started flashing, the oil light started flashing, and then the truck died. This time it didn't start right back up. It turned over, but seemed really, really sluggish in doing so. I threw it into park and tried numerous times and finally got it to start up, but it kept cutting in and out. I revved it in park until the light turned green and took off and made it home.

That night I got it to start and drove it down to the Nissan dealership again. They've had it since Tuesday night...so 6 days total. They've driven it over 125 miles and have done numerous tests and can find nothing. They thought it may have been a fuel pump, but have since ruled that out. They thought it may be the electronic control module as well, but don't want to replace it without proof that that is the problem. They've never been able to get it to die again (figures). They've been really patient and nice about the whole situation, but I'm beginning to lose my patience. I realize that not getting a code to show up means that they may only be guessing as to what's wrong, but hey...Nissan made the truck. If they can't make it to where their dealers can find out what's wrong with it, then they need to change the way they make it. I only have 9,000 miles left on my warranty and I'll be darned if I'm gonna take that truck back without them fixing the problem. I have a wife and 3 little girls and I'm not gonna have my truck die and lose steering driving down the highway at 75 mph. The guys at the dealership said they completely understand and have been apologetic that they can't find anything.

My question is...has anyone had a similar problem where they might be able to shed some light on the subject? And if Nissan can't fix the problem, what do I do? Will they replace a truck that's still under warranty if they can't figure out what the problem is? I don't want another truck truthfully. Mine has been great...I just need it fixed. I've been driving a freakin' Ford minivan for 6 days, so this has been horribly painful to say the least!

Info on my truck...it has 81,000 miles on it. I just had the oil changed a couple weeks ago. I had the rear differential changed recently, along with the air filter. Hmm...not much else to say. Thanks for any help that any of you can be!!!

Matt

2004 Nissan Titan Crew Cab - Off Road Package/Towing Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 07:15 PM

Re: Truck Dies While Driving

Make sure the air box is sealed up tight, Nissans apparently are VERY sensitive to air flow. the mass air flow sensor is just inside the intake hose, if it sees too much or too little air, it will QUIT. I had the same type issue with my 1990 SEv6 if I even popped the latches on the air box while it was running, it would die. Never a problem otherwise. just a thought... good luck.
#3 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 07:31 PM

Thanks for the tip. I'll mention that to the Nissan guy tomorrow when I call him. He's to the point where he's open to suggestions, cause he's at a loss as to why it's been doing this.

#4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 07:34 PM

The only thing i can think of is a bad ECU or a bad sensor somewhere. They dont have a spare ECU they could put in and see if it works?

2006 CC LE, BT, OFFROAD with nav and sunroof
Procomp 6" ($1300.00),SAW coilovers ($1000.00),Rear Sway-away piggybacks ($399.00),PRG Offroad Traction Bars ($489.00), C-30 Deaver pack ($140.00), PRG Shackles ($139.00), PRG UCA ($599.00), NCD 2" SPACER ($89).
18" Procomp 8179 wheels ($700.00)
37x13.5x18 Toyo MT's ($1900.00)
Banks Monster Exhaust ($500.00)
2* Timing Advance ($0)
Huskyliner floorliners ($140.00)
Volant Powercore ($320.00)
Tech12volt box with 2xkicker 12 and kicker amp ($340.00)
Color Matched Bushwacker Pocket style flares ($600.00)
Go Dominator type II steps ($320.00)
Warn 12k powerplant with milemarker winch mount ($1865.00)
Stillen Big Brake Kit ($905.00)
Money wasted so far=$11745.00
#5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 07:42 PM

Well, that's the thing. It hasn't died on them yet in 6 days. So even if they did switch it out, if it worked it wouldn't change anything. The fact that it's not duplicating what it did to me on 2 occasions is making it quite difficult for them to narrow it down. I understand in a way, but I'm also frustrated beyond belief cause I know something is wrong with my truck and I want it fixed before the warranty expires or before I wreck cause the truck dies on the highway.

Thanks for the idea though. I'm gonna try to mention everything to them.

#6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 08:26 PM

Arrow Re: Truck Dies While Driving

This might be a long shot....but here it goes. It sounds like to me there is a bug in your security (immobilizer) sytem. Everyone knows that these trucks will immobilize themselves if broken into. The way you describe the check engine light, battery light, and oil light flashing alternately sounds like the immobilization system kicking in. I would have them verify the transmitter in your ignition key and the reciever in the ecu to be sure there isn't a "bug" looming in the security program somewhere. Like I said, just a thought...somewhere to look. Good luck with this issue and please update us with any progress on resolving this wierd problem.

2005 Nissan Titan KC SE 4X2 Tow package, popular package, drop in bedliner, Bilstien 5100's, running boards, 2* advance, 18" wheels, Rear sonar, adjustable pedals, 6-disc in dash CD, full frontal brush guard, heated mirrors, head mounted driver info center, auto adjust rear view mirror, home link system, Flowmaster Super 44 hidden dual exhaust, PowerStop drilled/slotted rotors, Cobra LTD 29 40 channel CB with dual antennas, tool box w/ black diamond plate, Firestone Destination LE RWL Tires

#7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 08:46 PM

Does it still have the original battery in it? Just throwing out ideas.

2005 CC Smoke,BT,RF
S&B CAI
Magnaflow Exhaust
LEER Top
Stampede Bugshield
Stampede Ventshades
#8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 08:53 PM

Titan-ization: Thanks, I'll mention that to them. I have asked them whether or not it was a problem with the key before...since that immobilizer light came on and stayed on both times, but they didn't seem to think it was. But gosh, it's weird that that light would come on both times and stay on.

TitanLou: No, I just put in a new battery a couple months ago.

Thanks for all the ideas everyone!

#9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 07:27 AM

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Similar thing happen to me. The truck would just shut down and all the lights would flash. the engine sounded like it was running out of gas. I would have to put in neutral or park, turn the key off then it would restart everytime, Dealership was clueless.

I changed out the IPDM and it's been fine every since. The IPDM is located on the passenger side of the truck behind the battery, it's the box closest to the firewall. The part is $125 and took 10 minutes to swap out. It's all plug and play and comes complete with all relays and fuses.

Do you have an extended warranty?

2005 Titan KC SE ***Sold 9/6/14***
Big Tow
4x4 SE
Deep Water
2005 Titan CC
Big Tow
4x4 SE
Silver

New Ride
2013 Chevy Silverado LT Z71 CC short bed
5.3L LC9 engine
Heavy duty tow package/cooling
4wd
loaded to the gills
mirrors sucks (for now)

2004 Keystone 24RS

---------------------------------------------------
#10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 12:28 PM

whippingpost sound like your truck was mad at you that day .
#11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 01:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to Dom249

maby leave your battery unhooked for a while untill it resets the ecu or however your supposed to do it?

just some ideas

04 SE Titan, Uprev w/ osiris, Trutrac, Helix TBS, K&N 77 series intake, JBA catback exhaust w/magnaflow muffler swap, JBA Headers, Magnaflow cats, tb coolant bypass, stillen grounding kit, brake stiffner,
stillen 1 piece sport rotors, stillen differential cover. Halo projector headlites, 8k hid's, altezza tail lights
Clifford remotestart/alarm.

Music- Kinetik HC2000,HC800 batteries, Alpine Imprint, 2 Rockford power T2 12"s, T2000.1bd, Power T162s comps, T600.2, Apline W505, 25 farad capacitor
#12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 01:41 PM

This problem is battery, ground and/or ECU related. The ECU and other electronics in vehicles today requires voltages/currents, grounding or ohms that are within specific parameters. When the power and/or grounds are not within the parameters things start or don't start like they are programmed or designed to (e.g. security, TPS, injectors, emission systems etc.). I'd change the battery out first even if it is new or used. Then, the ECU would be next area of troubleshooting. This could be as easy as a poorly connected battery terminal (power and/or ground) or a loose connector to the ECU as well. I hope this helps.
#13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 02:50 PM

My old 95 Maxima did something like that once. It was the battery, like the guy above said it might be.
I was puzzling over what it might be so I called my Dad who always seems to know the answer to anything I ask and he said it was probably the battery.
I thought nah, how could the battery do all that? But I replaced it anyway. No more problem.
It's worth a try in your case, I think.
Good luck.

2008 Titan XE King Cab in Radiant Silver
Mods: Receiver hitch, brake controller, and toolbox.

2013 Armada SV in hard-to-keep clean Black
Mods: Receiver hitch, brake controller, and a new Glock for the glovebox.

"I was happy to notice a marked improvement in the color, consistency, and bouquet of my stool. But not as happy as if I’d been in the bathroom at the time." -Some guy on Woot
#14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 10:31 PM

Thanks again everyone! Sounds like the ECU or IPDM may be the culprit (are those the same thing???). The ECU is also what the guy at the dealership thinks it probably is. I may try to insist upon that tomorrow to see what he says. Not sure if they will do anything without it actually dying on them while they are driving it though. I called them again today and they drove it a bunch more and it still didn't die. The guy working on it was going to drive it home tonight to try and get it to duplicate it. He said the manager of the service department was going to drive it tomorrow to see what he could find too.

Again...appreciate all the ideas. I'll keep ya'll updated on what happens.

#15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 05:16 PM

The immobilizer should'nt be the issue, once it sees the right key code and starts, that system is not active anymore, it is designed only to keep it from starting/cranking in the first place. (I install remote starters etc for a living... )

thought#2 sometimes, if they are really stumped, a good dealer will hook up a data collector thru OBD2 and let you run around with it for a while or at least until you have the problem again, then they can read the data on what failed... good luck

Jump to top