ac/heater vent clicking noise - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Problems & Dealer Service Having a problem with your truck? Dealer service got you down? Let us know here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 04:56 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
ac/heater vent clicking noise

When I switch the ac/heater mode from def. to max ac, or floor to max ac, i get this clicking/ticking sound coming from the vent, inside the dash, as if the vent that opening or closing is getting stuck or something. Normally you can hear it switching by the humming noise. same vent you hear opening/closing after the truck has been turned off. has anyone experince this? I'm 60K+ miles so no dealer. It's not really a problem yet. everything works great. it's just annoying sometimes... thanks.

05' Nissan Titan SE CC 4x2
Big Tow Package
SE Popular Captains Package
Rockford Fosgate
NISMO CAI
JBA Catback Exhaust W/ Banks muffler
DR Coilovers / PRG 1" Rear Lift Block
325/60R18 Nitto TerraGrapplers
305+HP and 379+lbs per ft of BALLS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 12:31 PM

Re: ac/heater vent clicking noise

Mine just started doing the same thing. Did you find a resolution?
#3 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 02:17 PM

I thought I was the only one... No I haven't figured it out yet. I'm assuming I'm going to have to take the dash apart. I just moved to a new house so it's going to be a while. I'm sure it's not a big deal, just annoying. Hope it doesn't stay shut.

05' Nissan Titan SE CC 4x2
Big Tow Package
SE Popular Captains Package
Rockford Fosgate
NISMO CAI
JBA Catback Exhaust W/ Banks muffler
DR Coilovers / PRG 1" Rear Lift Block
325/60R18 Nitto TerraGrapplers
305+HP and 379+lbs per ft of BALLS
#4 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 08:58 PM

It's the HVAC mode door cams and arms that are making noise. Sometimes the cams get dry and make a chattering noise when they move. I've replaced them quite a few times. You can try to lube them and see if that fixes it. Look under the driver's side of the dash above and to the right of the gas pedal and you should see them. Change the mode on the a/c while you are under there and you will be able to hear/see it when it moves.

Surrounded by idgits, we press on.
#5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 07:12 PM

Does the clicking get faster as you turn the fan speed up? Is the sound coming from under the glove box area?
#6 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanTech659 View Post
You could fix it yourself but you will need A LOT of patience. First you will need to unbolt the BCM (right above the gas pedal) then you will need a 5.5 mm 1/4" socket and ratchet for the screws that hold the mode door cam on. There are 3 screws. 1 is the top right screw that holds the mode door actuator to the cam. There isn't much room to work and you have to do it on your back while laying on the floor boards. Once you get it out and start putting the new one in you need to make sure the mode door arms go into the slots of the cam. If you don't get these arms in the right position then the doors won't work properly when you go to change modes from defrost to vent etc. It can be a pain in the @ss!

I also have had this issue on my ’05 titan and fixed it myself. The clicking noise for me was on the drivers’ side, to the right of the gas pedal and up about 10 inches. I would get the noise when I would turn the vents to full defrost then back to Max Air, the noise would only happen when turning back to Full Air. Thanks to TitanTech659 I was able to locate the issue and take a stab at it. Note that there are two actuators in that general area and the one that I was having problems with was the upper one and is Nissan Part # 27743-ZP00A and cost $49 at the dealer in Colorado Springs, Co., the problem actuator is mounted to a plate and the other is not. With the advice I got from the above post from Titantech659, I went into this thinking it will be an all day job and I would need a lot of patients to say the least. Well he was 100% correct and even though it only took me about 3 hours, me neck, back and arms hurt like crazy after I was done; There is very little room to work and I felt like a contortionist at times. It can be done, but make sure you are very technical and have good tools to get the job done. I am not an auto mechanic by any means, but I do pride myself on giving anything a try if it can save me money.
#7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 02:57 PM

everything I've read about changing this actuator says it requires the dash to be removed? Is that true for general install but if you got hands small enough you can do it like buster did as a contortionist? I am debating on attempting myself or letting the shop at it. If this is what Im thinking off it is considered a major job and can cost a lot of money in labor?
#8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 03:02 PM

There are lots of Titan's out there that have this problem, mine does the same thing

VK56 Racing Member
2004 SE CC 4x4 BT 6" Fabtech, 18" XD Addicts, 35" Toyo MT's, 2-10'' Pioneer Premiers, 1000 watt Kenwood amp, blacked out badges, tinted tails, blacked out door handles, Helix TBS, TB screen delete, DDM 55 watt 6000K HID low beams, Lund Avenger Bug guard, Michelin floor mats
#9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 05:07 AM

I am having the same issue. Sometimes I can tune it out...but sometimes it can get irritating! Has anyone out there went in somewhere to get this repaired? And if so, how much did or will it cost? For those that did it themselves a thumbs up to you guys...honestly, I'm a big body so I don't think I can get down there. When I drop a french fry down there....it stays there! Hahaha.
#10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 11:10 AM

I guess I have been lucky - mine just started doing this...right @ 189k miles.

Anyone have any success in finding a cheap/easy way to fix this? I am a big guy and contorting myself to fix it just is not a possibility...

Proud Titan Owner since June 18, 2005
239,000+ miles and still running strong!
#11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 06:44 PM

I know this post is old, but I came across it through Google and got nowhere. The actual fix was in this post and worked perfect!

How To: Fix annoying clicking heater/ac actuator under dash (w/pics)
#12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 12:13 PM

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Even the newer T's have this issue. My 2010 is having the problem. It also occurs when I tun the fan on (from off state). Or when I turn it from def/vent to vent. I am going to get mine into the dealer soon, still under mfg warranty, thank goodness...

You think they'd have a fix for it by now.

2010 SE

*Insert Clever Caption Here*

Bilstein 5100 all around. Front set to highest setting.
Debadged doors and tailgate.
Bully dog gt
Tinted front windows.
Kobalt low profile black toolbox.
Stubby antenna
Airaid MXP
#13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 07:57 PM

I thought I was the only one... No I haven't figured it out yet. I'm assuming I'm going to have to take the dash apart. I just moved to a new house so it's going to be a while. I'm sure it's not a big deal, just annoying. Hope it doesn't stay shut.
#14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 05:49 PM

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

I just got mine back from the dealer. they replaced the actuator and it works fine now, no noise at all. They had it for 2 hours, so I am guessing that is how long Nissan says it will take to fix the issue. They have to get their money for warranty repairs somehow.

2010 SE

*Insert Clever Caption Here*

Bilstein 5100 all around. Front set to highest setting.
Debadged doors and tailgate.
Bully dog gt
Tinted front windows.
Kobalt low profile black toolbox.
Stubby antenna
Airaid MXP
#15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 08:59 AM

I have had the actuator click for about 6 months now, and it now clicks switching between modes AND about 15 seconds after I shut the truck off. It clicks about 12 times. I'm going to try to lube it, and then I guess I will bite the bullit and take it in. Sounds like a pain to fix myself. Fixing stuff in tight spaces is why I DIDNT become a mechanic!

Jump to top