Nissan Titan Forum banner

ac/heater vent clicking noise

107K views 27 replies 21 participants last post by  TASCAPARTS 
#1 ·
When I switch the ac/heater mode from def. to max ac, or floor to max ac, i get this clicking/ticking sound coming from the vent, inside the dash, as if the vent that opening or closing is getting stuck or something. Normally you can hear it switching by the humming noise. same vent you hear opening/closing after the truck has been turned off. has anyone experince this? I'm 60K+ miles so no dealer. It's not really a problem yet. everything works great. it's just annoying sometimes... thanks.

#3 ·
I thought I was the only one... No I haven't figured it out yet. I'm assuming I'm going to have to take the dash apart. I just moved to a new house so it's going to be a while. I'm sure it's not a big deal, just annoying. Hope it doesn't stay shut.

#4 ·
It's the HVAC mode door cams and arms that are making noise. Sometimes the cams get dry and make a chattering noise when they move. I've replaced them quite a few times. You can try to lube them and see if that fixes it. Look under the driver's side of the dash above and to the right of the gas pedal and you should see them. Change the mode on the a/c while you are under there and you will be able to hear/see it when it moves.

#6 ·
You could fix it yourself but you will need A LOT of patience. First you will need to unbolt the BCM (right above the gas pedal) then you will need a 5.5 mm 1/4" socket and ratchet for the screws that hold the mode door cam on. There are 3 screws. 1 is the top right screw that holds the mode door actuator to the cam. There isn't much room to work and you have to do it on your back while laying on the floor boards. Once you get it out and start putting the new one in you need to make sure the mode door arms go into the slots of the cam. If you don't get these arms in the right position then the doors won't work properly when you go to change modes from defrost to vent etc. It can be a pain in the @ss!

I also have had this issue on my ’05 titan and fixed it myself. The clicking noise for me was on the drivers’ side, to the right of the gas pedal and up about 10 inches. I would get the noise when I would turn the vents to full defrost then back to Max Air, the noise would only happen when turning back to Full Air. Thanks to TitanTech659 I was able to locate the issue and take a stab at it. Note that there are two actuators in that general area and the one that I was having problems with was the upper one and is Nissan Part # 27743-ZP00A and cost $49 at the dealer in Colorado Springs, Co., the problem actuator is mounted to a plate and the other is not. With the advice I got from the above post from Titantech659, I went into this thinking it will be an all day job and I would need a lot of patients to say the least. Well he was 100% correct and even though it only took me about 3 hours, me neck, back and arms hurt like crazy after I was done; There is very little room to work and I felt like a contortionist at times. It can be done, but make sure you are very technical and have good tools to get the job done. I am not an auto mechanic by any means, but I do pride myself on giving anything a try if it can save me money.

#7 ·
everything I've read about changing this actuator says it requires the dash to be removed? Is that true for general install but if you got hands small enough you can do it like buster did as a contortionist? I am debating on attempting myself or letting the shop at it. If this is what Im thinking off it is considered a major job and can cost a lot of money in labor?

#8 ·
There are lots of Titan's out there that have this problem, mine does the same thing

#9 ·
I am having the same issue. Sometimes I can tune it out...but sometimes it can get irritating! Has anyone out there went in somewhere to get this repaired? And if so, how much did or will it cost? For those that did it themselves a thumbs up to you guys...honestly, I'm a big body so I don't think I can get down there. When I drop a french fry down there....it stays there! Hahaha.

#10 ·
I guess I have been lucky - mine just started doing this...right @ 189k miles.

Anyone have any success in finding a cheap/easy way to fix this? I am a big guy and contorting myself to fix it just is not a possibility...

#12 ·
Even the newer T's have this issue. My 2010 is having the problem. It also occurs when I tun the fan on (from off state). Or when I turn it from def/vent to vent. I am going to get mine into the dealer soon, still under mfg warranty, thank goodness...

You think they'd have a fix for it by now.

#14 ·
I just got mine back from the dealer. they replaced the actuator and it works fine now, no noise at all. They had it for 2 hours, so I am guessing that is how long Nissan says it will take to fix the issue. They have to get their money for warranty repairs somehow.

#15 ·
I have had the actuator click for about 6 months now, and it now clicks switching between modes AND about 15 seconds after I shut the truck off. It clicks about 12 times. I'm going to try to lube it, and then I guess I will bite the bullit and take it in. Sounds like a pain to fix myself. Fixing stuff in tight spaces is why I DIDNT become a mechanic!

#16 ·
That won't fix it, you will have to replace the mode actuator door. Its on the driver side under the dash. Not really hard to replace, just tedious because of the confined space under the dash and the leaking lube oil from the acuator makes it slick. Becarefull the door doesn't pop out of place when replacing the actuator, its a big pain in the a** to pop back in and realign if it does. Use a long screw driver to hold it in place when sliding the actuator out.

Nissan Parts, NISMO and Nissan Accessories - Courtesyparts.com[27743NA]+\(a60&cPath=1244_1245_1281_1295

Attachments

#17 ·
I have the same problem, when I had it at the dealer last time I asked them how much too fix. 1300 dollars, wtf the tick isn't that bad for that much money. they said the acuator that was ticking was in the center of the dash, not the easy one by the gas pedal. Another member on here suggested turning the temp control one or two notchs up off of cold and this stops the noise. this is working for me. good luck

#18 ·
You would think if enough people complained about the exct same issue, they would fix the problem or recall the part, much like they did with the undersized fan in the 06's (in Canada, anyways).... Same with the bunk radio that has to be reset. Maybe they don't do a recall unless it's 60% or more...

#22 ·
Mine clicks when going from defrost to normal venting - it clicks a bit but eventually stops

I don't feel it is worth fixing...it is plastic gears skipping - it will happen again

#23 ·
My 2011 started clicking about amonth ago, Its been getting cold the past few mornings so I tried to turn the heater on. Blows nothing but cold air. I found where the noise was coming from and took it to the Nissan shop and they told me $600 and they would have to pull the dash. I walked out to the truck opened the hood and pointed where the noise was coming from. We walk back in and he told me it would still be $600. So I went home and said the hell with it. and i removed 3 small screws from the cover. There is a small DC motor and a spiral shaft about 2" long that goes to the valve door. I simply flipped the valve door back and forth a few times and put the cover back on. everything works perfect now. Nissan hustlers can kiss my $600 @$$. It can be found under hood bolted to the upper fire wall. has a hose coming from the back of the motor to the valve and then leading out to the firewall going to the heater core. very simple to find and get to. If i had to replace it, It cost $32 and would take maybe 20 minutes tops to pull and replace....$600...... UNREAL!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.