titan will not start - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Problems & Dealer Service Having a problem with your truck? Dealer service got you down? Let us know here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 08:10 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
titan will not start

I have had Nissans forever 300zx 240sx pathfinder, and never ever had anything I couldnít handle but my titan is breaking me, yesterday my wife was picking up my son from school and the titan just slowed down and stopped and shut off, she could not restart it had AAA tow her home, Iíve check every thing (maybe) I have spark I have fuel, injectors work (check resistance) Its cranking but I just wont fire, I went out and bought a Mass air flow sensor maybe the intake killed it, now the truck half starts( kind of wants to start but wont go all the way) so that some what of an improvement, so after reading some threads I went to the dealer and bought the IPDM and plug the new one in same stuff half start not al the way but I little better, I hooked up my OBD2 scanner no codes, I got a TPS code but I ran the diagnostic in the book and check out fine and plug in the OBD2 again and no code, I have fuel pumping to the rails old fashion pressure test show normal I just donít know I even put in a gallon of fuel thinking maybe the gauge went bad but no dice, I love Nissan huge fan but man I just want to get a 16 pound sledge and go off can some one please help any ideas. 2006 titan crew cab Xe none flex fuel 57k no engine mod except for air intake. also battery check out fine too even cleaned the post too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 10:24 AM

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Dee Mac Send a message via Yahoo to Dee Mac
Re: titan will not start

I had the same problem back in February. I have a 2004 LE no modifications at all and about 75K miles. Made it to the dealership, could not duplicate. Went back home happened again, made it to the dealership, was finally able to duplicate after about an hour. They ran test, they said it was a loose or bad harness. So they replaced that. That lasted about a ride home. Wouldn't start again. Took it back, now they said the sensor in my key was going bad. Bought two new keys. Problem solved....I thought. Now 8 months later and in a different city it happening again. I am supposed to be driving from Kansas City to Oklahoma City this weekend. I am going to try it and when I get back I am going to the dealership for testing. Will let you know what they come up with. I am ready to drive this Titan into the river. Outside of that, my RPM's drop about 200 and raise back up when I am coasting between 35 and 40. Ran testing at the dealership couldn't find what is happening so they called Nissan headquarters and got authorization to replace the Transmission (this is my 3rd transmission) The problem is still happening, now they are telling me they drove a few high milage Titan's and they all are doing it. My question is why would you replace the transmission then if this is normal. I don't know, I love my truck but it's so many inconviences of going back and forth to the dealership. Now I am back dealing with the engine cut off and not starting again.....plus still have the RPM trouble.
#3 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 07:38 PM

Well it happened again. Came off the job and what do you know? The Titan would not start. Tried working with it for 30 minutes, it would not turn over. Even tried jumping it as a cheap fix, still wouldn't turn over. Got it towed to the dealership and won't know anything until Monday. There goes my weekend. This Titan is getting more frustrating as the years pass. It's not the truck it's the problems that arise and the trips to the dealership and time consumption. I have less than a year to pay this thing off. Thanks god I got the extended warranty. I want to keep it but am thinking about getting a smaller truck, maybe the Frontier. Will let you know the outcome on Monday.
#4 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 05:11 PM

Well the dealership called today and said the computer was shot. So I said does this computer have a name and he said it was the ECU. It is covered under the warranty and is supposed to be fixed by tomorrow afternoon. They ordered the part today with a one day delivery. Hope this helps someone else. I will let you know if it fixed the problem. I will also ask them about the IPDM (??) also.
#5 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 08:40 PM

Well picked up truck today and runs like a champ. They replaced the ECU, paid for the tow truck, gave me a loaner and didn't charge me my deductible. By the way the loaner was a Versa, you talk about sipping gas, I put 100 miles on it and the gas needle didn't move!! I like that, but it's only a commuter car I probably couldn't do more than two hours in that thing. Oh well Titan fixed for now, oh and they had to reprogram my keys. Hope this helps.
#6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 11:08 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Yahooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadalpha View Post
I have had Nissans forever 300zx 240sx pathfinder, and never ever had anything I couldnít handle but my titan is breaking me, yesterday my wife was picking up my son from school and the titan just slowed down and stopped and shut off, she could not restart it had AAA tow her home, Iíve check every thing (maybe) I have spark I have fuel, injectors work (check resistance) Its cranking but I just wont fire, I went out and bought a Mass air flow sensor maybe the intake killed it, now the truck half starts( kind of wants to start but wont go all the way) so that some what of an improvement, so after reading some threads I went to the dealer and bought the IPDM and plug the new one in same stuff half start not al the way but I little better, I hooked up my OBD2 scanner no codes, I got a TPS code but I ran the diagnostic in the book and check out fine and plug in the OBD2 again and no code, I have fuel pumping to the rails old fashion pressure test show normal I just donít know I even put in a gallon of fuel thinking maybe the gauge went bad but no dice, I love Nissan huge fan but man I just want to get a 16 pound sledge and go off can some one please help any ideas. 2006 titan crew cab Xe none flex fuel 57k no engine mod except for air intake. also battery check out fine too even cleaned the post too.
Uh...

It's a 2006 with 57k miles, why are you spending any money trying to fix it? It's still under the 5yr/60k mile powertrain warranty, call your local dealer and have them pick it up.

The new pup: 2007.5 Dodge Ram 3500 MegaCab SLT 4x4 SRW, Inferno Red
The old dog: 2005 Titan SE CC BT 4x4 - Magnaflow 24" w/ 3" Y-back single pipe, Bully Dog GT, RAS, SnugTop Sport shell, 5000k HIDs - SOLD!
The tail: 2010 Keystone Hideout 31BHS - Reese SC hitch, Prodigy brake controller
The old fish: 1984 Scarab 21SS - Marine Power 454 - SOLD
The new fish: 1998 Seaswirl 170 BR I/O
#7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 05:54 PM

I did have to take it to the dealer after those fixes seem that was the fuel pump would intermitenly fail they changewd my battery terminals 40 bucks but i didnt even make 2miles anyway problem solved
#8 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 05:54 PM

mybe fuel pump issues mine was like that and i had proper pressure but i was failing off and on
#9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 09:16 PM

to all be carefull jumping off other veh, bad things can happen to the ipdm and radio, i have seen it on more than one occasion
#10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 11:29 PM

i dont have any modifications either...only have my amp, speakers, and exhaust...other than that i have nothing...started my titan after work today...made it home...went to move it and it cranks over...but it wont start...any suggestions...i did have my fuel pump sending system unit replace back in june...could it be related?
#11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 07:48 PM

cam and crank sensor. possible ecm( hope not)
#12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 07:56 PM

Also check for recalls for concern, there is a fuel pump recall for certin years,
#13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 08:27 AM

i had same problem, might run might not. i have a thread on here but this is a copy from my final fix.
well i change the camshaft sensors and crankshaft sensor and checked all 3 engine compartment grounds. i took to nissan last week and they found it was the IPDM (INTELLIGENT POWER DISTRIBUTION MODULE) cost for module was around $150 and for them to fix was $340.10 tax and all. they also did a recall fix on the engine fan that i wasn't aware of. so all in all turned out good and i missed the $4 a gallon phase lol. so now i can fill up at $1.39 a gallon and enjoy driving everyday. mine would turn over just never fire, but you could hear fuel pump and smell fuel after trying to crank several times. just no firing ti crank although would seem like it did the first couple revolutions of the engine then just turning. i got no codes from the the code checkers either, as if nothing wrong. but it is running great now since they changed that out. i have a thread on here also for the same issue. maybe more deatil on there if you want to compare.
The Following User Says Thank You to kennyt678502 For This Useful Post:
araujo (11-19-2009)
#14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 08:18 PM

I have a 2005 Titan LE, just hit 60,000 miles. This morning i had a starting problem and it felt like my battery didn't have enough juice to turn it over (which I thought was odd) because I drive it every day! After the first start up I noticed my gauges shaking and then settled down. I tried starting 3 more times and the same thing happened. Finally it turned over with no problem and I drove off to work thinking maybe it was the cold night that did something. Well after work the same thing happened again, and I tried it 2 times before I drove home. When I got home I turned off the truck and restarted again with no problems.

I read all the other posts and I'll keep in mind the ECU and the IPDM module possibly being the problem. I was planning on taking it to the dealer anyway to have my tune up and change of Transmission Fluid. I'll tell the Dealer with my start up problem and hope they can fix it. Thank you for all the posts on this site! I'll write back again next week if the problem continues or if the Dealer fixes something.
#15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 11:02 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Yahooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonballzgtvegeta View Post
I have a 2005 Titan LE, just hit 60,000 miles. This morning i had a starting problem and it felt like my battery didn't have enough juice to turn it over (which I thought was odd) because I drive it every day! After the first start up I noticed my gauges shaking and then settled down. I tried starting 3 more times and the same thing happened. Finally it turned over with no problem and I drove off to work thinking maybe it was the cold night that did something. Well after work the same thing happened again, and I tried it 2 times before I drove home. When I got home I turned off the truck and restarted again with no problems.

I read all the other posts and I'll keep in mind the ECU and the IPDM module possibly being the problem. I was planning on taking it to the dealer anyway to have my tune up and change of Transmission Fluid. I'll tell the Dealer with my start up problem and hope they can fix it. Thank you for all the posts on this site! I'll write back again next week if the problem continues or if the Dealer fixes something.
Original battery? If so then that's the most likely culprit, the original batteries don't seem to last more than a few years and will suddenly just not have the power (likely due to an internal short either due to scale build-up or not maintaining the water/electrolyte level).

ECU and IPDM won't cause a slow-start problem, they cause a no-start problem (Engine turns over normally but doesn't fire).

A slow-cranking engine has a dying battery, replace it and you should be fine.

The new pup: 2007.5 Dodge Ram 3500 MegaCab SLT 4x4 SRW, Inferno Red
The old dog: 2005 Titan SE CC BT 4x4 - Magnaflow 24" w/ 3" Y-back single pipe, Bully Dog GT, RAS, SnugTop Sport shell, 5000k HIDs - SOLD!
The tail: 2010 Keystone Hideout 31BHS - Reese SC hitch, Prodigy brake controller
The old fish: 1984 Scarab 21SS - Marine Power 454 - SOLD
The new fish: 1998 Seaswirl 170 BR I/O
The Following User Says Thank You to Yahooligan For This Useful Post:
dragonballzgtvegeta (08-08-2011)

Jump to top