Fluid Coming Out Diff Vent Tube - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Problems & Dealer Service Having a problem with your truck? Dealer service got you down? Let us know here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Fluid Coming Out Diff Vent Tube

This morning while I was backing the truck out of the garage I noticed a small spot of something on the floor. Upon further investigation, it was gear lube.

Fearing a failed front differential seal I dropped all the shields from underneath an had a look around. No leaks around the differential. I traced the trail of fluid up through the wheel well into the engine compartment. There I found fluid underneath the front differential vent tube.

I replaced the front differential fluid last June (about 10K miles ago). I put in the required amount and had only a little bit come out of the fill hole before I closed things up. Since summer, I haven't noticed any problems. If the differential is slightly overfilled, why is it only starting to leak now? It's kind of strange. I've only run in 4WD about 10 miles so far this winter. I don't know if that's a factor or not. I guess I'll wait until warmer weather before I take the fill plug out and see if any excess fluid comes out.

2008 Titan SE, Crew Cab, 4x4, Long Bed
Popular Pkg w/ Captains Chairs
Utility Bed Pkg, Big Tow
Smoke/Charcoal
Roadmaster Active Suspension, Westin Sure-Grip Aluminum Running Boards, Leer 100R Cap, Lund Bug Shield, Michelin LTX M/S-2 LT275/65-18E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 04:35 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 21,947 Times in 13,139 Posts
iTrader Score: 18 reviews
Re: Fluid Coming Out Diff Vent Tube

Sop up the leakage and keep an eye on it.
I wouldn't be terribly concerned unless it keeps leaking.

BaldWhore
Starfishwhore

Red meat is not bad for you.
Fuzzy green meat is bad for you.

You know you had a great night last night when you make it home the next day missing at least half your clothes.

It's not the zombies you have to watch out for. It's the stupid people.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 05:39 PM

Location: Black Mountain, N.C. with the mountains and winding roads = FUN!!!
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to honeykeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
This morning while I was backing the truck out of the garage I noticed a small spot of something on the floor. Upon further investigation, it was gear lube.

Fearing a failed front differential seal I dropped all the shields from underneath an had a look around. No leaks around the differential. I traced the trail of fluid up through the wheel well into the engine compartment. There I found fluid underneath the front differential vent tube.

I replaced the front differential fluid last June (about 10K miles ago). I put in the required amount and had only a little bit come out of the fill hole before I closed things up. Since summer, I haven't noticed any problems. If the differential is slightly overfilled, why is it only starting to leak now? It's kind of strange. I've only run in 4WD about 10 miles so far this winter. I don't know if that's a factor or not. I guess I'll wait until warmer weather before I take the fill plug out and see if any excess fluid comes out.
I don't see how fluid can increase with time unless you drove it in some deep water and it got in somewhere like in the differential seals.
Never had mine leak so far with almost 72K and daily 4x4 use.
Why not dump the fluid so you can inspect and reuse if it's clean and you have to?
Let us know what you find. Good luck.

3-29-05 Born 4/09/05 Adopted SEKC 4 x 4 Off Road with 08 Big Tow-E-Loc, Blizzard Graphite/Titanium Interior, Popular Package, Bench Seat,
Bilstein front/rear shocks, Deaver Mini-Pak Springs, Total Chaos Shackles, Hellwig Anti-Sway Bar, Mag-Hytek Honeypot, HK Rear Axle Vent Mod.
ARE Z shell..OEM bug/rock deflector, Lund AVS Ventvisors, OEM mud gaurds, Bushwhacker- notched-Fender Flares, Stainless Steel Titan Door Sills, Black Vinyl Door Edge Molding on front doors and vertical sides of Tailgate, Spoiler Direct Chrome Tailgate Trim, Utilitrac System, OEM Dual Lower Sliding Trays, OEM under-seat-storganiser, Silver Star Ultra L B, White Night Backup Lights, CT Windshield Sun Reflector, Drawtite Activator II trailer-e-brake control, Super-Z-Winter Traction Cables, Dueler AT REVO Tires-4th set, Frozen Rotors/Hawk Pads, NISSAN I-POD adapter, Bosch Icon blades-2nd set, Optima Red Top battery.

6 x 10' low bed/rails trailer with E-brakes. 108 year old rebuilt 4,000 lb. road roller/packer.
JFK http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8dLHZ6jKFc
"We have the Capability & Technology to Eliminate 100% of our needs for Persian Gulf Oil" R.F.K.Jr. 7-07:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG5zckBejK0
The Following User Says Thank You to honeykeeper For This Useful Post:
Kronos1965 (01-11-2009)
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 07:07 PM
Premium User

Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,803 Posts
iTrader Score: 11 reviews

My front diff. was replaced a year ago for the same reason..77K miles..

Nissan could not stop the fluid from blowing out the vent tube...

No failure at all just a damned mess and i was not going for it!

It has been doing fine for just over a year..

Keep taking it back if it does not stop leaking..Took me about 4 trips before they gave up and put a new diff. in the truck..

Good luck.

BEERWHORE

"THIS TRUCK IS AWESOME" !!!........"Uncle Sams Misguided Children"
The Marine Corps is a department of the Navy...>"THE MENS DEPARTMENT"!!!

"ROLL TIDE"

2004-LE-CC-BT-OR-4X4----GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2012 Galaxy Black PRO4X CC
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeykeeper View Post
I don't see how fluid can increase with time unless you drove it in some deep water and it got in somewhere like in the differential seals.
Never had mine leak so far with almost 72K and daily 4x4 use.
Why not dump the fluid so you can inspect and reuse if it's clean and you have to?
Let us know what you find. Good luck.
The truck has never been in water, so that's not an issue. The fluid at the end of the vent tube was fairly clean. I guess I'll clean it up and keep an eye on it to see if it continues.

2008 Titan SE, Crew Cab, 4x4, Long Bed
Popular Pkg w/ Captains Chairs
Utility Bed Pkg, Big Tow
Smoke/Charcoal
Roadmaster Active Suspension, Westin Sure-Grip Aluminum Running Boards, Leer 100R Cap, Lund Bug Shield, Michelin LTX M/S-2 LT275/65-18E
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 09:55 AM

My '06 front diff leaked from the vent tube a couple of times right after I bought the truck, and never noticed it again... until after I replaced the fluid at 30K miles. When I drained the front it was really low. I refilled w/ the specified amount. At 35K, I too noticed fluid on my driveway; it was from the front vent tube again. This time I carried it to the dealer, they replaced they front diff right away, blaming it on a bearing inside the diff. Now, at a little over 38K I noticed the coming out of the vent again. And I haven't had it in 4WD since I tested it when I picked up the truck after they replaced the front diff.

I wonder what the real issue is here??

06 SE KC, 4x4 BT OR Smoke; Level kit; 2* Advance; Dominator II Steps; Aux. reverse lights; Frozen Rotors Slotted / Hawk Performance LTS pads; Bilstein 5100s; PRG UCAs; Airaid MXP; JBA Cat Back
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 09:03 AM

Location: Black Mountain, N.C. with the mountains and winding roads = FUN!!!
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to honeykeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHMTitan View Post
My '06 front diff leaked from the vent tube a couple of times right after I bought the truck, and never noticed it again... until after I replaced the fluid at 30K miles. When I drained the front it was really low. I refilled w/ the specified amount. At 35K, I too noticed fluid on my driveway; it was from the front vent tube again. This time I carried it to the dealer, they replaced they front diff right away, blaming it on a bearing inside the diff. Now, at a little over 38K I noticed the coming out of the vent again. And I haven't had it in 4WD since I tested it when I picked up the truck after they replaced the front diff.

I wonder what the real issue is here??
Same here. Just replaced the front differential fluid.....level was "NORMAL".....color was good......it was Amsoil.
Still no leak from the oem front or rear (modded) differential vents.
Amsoil in again.

3-29-05 Born 4/09/05 Adopted SEKC 4 x 4 Off Road with 08 Big Tow-E-Loc, Blizzard Graphite/Titanium Interior, Popular Package, Bench Seat,
Bilstein front/rear shocks, Deaver Mini-Pak Springs, Total Chaos Shackles, Hellwig Anti-Sway Bar, Mag-Hytek Honeypot, HK Rear Axle Vent Mod.
ARE Z shell..OEM bug/rock deflector, Lund AVS Ventvisors, OEM mud gaurds, Bushwhacker- notched-Fender Flares, Stainless Steel Titan Door Sills, Black Vinyl Door Edge Molding on front doors and vertical sides of Tailgate, Spoiler Direct Chrome Tailgate Trim, Utilitrac System, OEM Dual Lower Sliding Trays, OEM under-seat-storganiser, Silver Star Ultra L B, White Night Backup Lights, CT Windshield Sun Reflector, Drawtite Activator II trailer-e-brake control, Super-Z-Winter Traction Cables, Dueler AT REVO Tires-4th set, Frozen Rotors/Hawk Pads, NISSAN I-POD adapter, Bosch Icon blades-2nd set, Optima Red Top battery.

6 x 10' low bed/rails trailer with E-brakes. 108 year old rebuilt 4,000 lb. road roller/packer.
JFK http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8dLHZ6jKFc
"We have the Capability & Technology to Eliminate 100% of our needs for Persian Gulf Oil" R.F.K.Jr. 7-07:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG5zckBejK0
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 06:37 PM

I too am having fluid come out of the front axle breather tube and the rear axle breather (not modded) on my 2004 Titan 4wd. I first had the fluid come out of the front axle breather tube when the dealer replaced a front seal and had to replace the fluid. When I took it back, they said they had put the wrong weight oil in and that is why it was coming out. So, they fix it and it latest about 5000 miles. When I noticed the leak again, I replaced the fluid myself so I knew what was going back in. So far so good, but who know what tomorrow will bring.

The rear has been leaking for awhile. When I had the rear seals replaced, I thought they probably used the wrong weight oil again, so I drained it myself and refilled it. I do have the Mag Hytec cover, so mine holds more than stock, but I am wondering if too much is in the differential. I drove my truck pretty hard today and noticed it leaking bad tonight. So, a definite correlation to how hard I drive the truck and how much comes out of the breather.

I so want to get rid of my truck (fed up with the problems and dealer dissatifaction), but can't with a clear conscience until I get these leaks resolved.

Any help is appreciated!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 07:38 PM

I also have the Mag-Hytec diff cover and I believe you should not set your lube level by using the low and high marks on the dipstick. On their website, Mag-Hytec says the 4.5 quarts is the oil volume needed to fill the cover but I believe that is too much.

Four quarts bought my level up to about 1/8 inch below the low mark on the dipstick. I believe that anything about four quarts is too much and will allow the lube to blow out of the vent stem. Four quarts bring the oil level a good bit higher than that allowed by the Nissan OEM cover and is more than adequate for cooling and lubrication of the rear diff without blowing lube out the vent.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 09:14 PM
Premium User

Thanked 2,566 Times in 1,761 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Is the fill hole higher on the Mag-hytec than on the OEM differential cover?

«Granite '07 LE Crew Cab, 4x4, Big Tow, Off-Road, Side Curtain Airbags, Sunroof»
«ClearBra, Leer 100XQ, MM SI9500 Winch, 18" Magnaflow, Berk b-pipes, Volant PowerCore, AMSoil bumper to bumper, Uprev tuned»
«SAW Coilovers and rear shocks, PRG upper control arms and shackles, Hellwig rear sway bar»
Jim aka Bionic Whore
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRTKD View Post
Is the fill hole higher on the Mag-hytec than on the OEM differential cover?
Below is a modified image that I ripped off on one of the Titan forums of the Nissan OEM diff and the Mag-Hytec diff covers. This image is a revealing comparison between the two diff covers. I slightly modified the image to compare the levels between the two diff covers, the OEM cover and the Mag-Hytec cover. The white line represents the highest possible oil level in the OEM diff. As you can see, the reference level in the Mag-Hytec is higher than the oil level that is possible with the OEM cover. The green line would split the difference between the high fill line (Line 1) and the lower fill line (Line 2) of the Mag-Hytec diff cover. Some members over on TS found that levels this high cause blowout of the vent tube. Once the fluid level was reduced below the lower fill line (Line 2) the blowout of the vent tube ceased.

Also, although it is difficult to see well, you can see the high and low fill marks on the Mag-Hytec dipstick that are labeled as Line 1 and Line 2. Both the high and low fill marks on the Mag-Hytec dipstick are quite a bit higher than the level in the OEM diff cover. In my opinion, the maximum lube level should be slightly below the low fill mark on the Mag-Hytec dipstick. In my case, 4 quarts brought the level to ~1/8 inch below the lower fill mark, Line 2, on the Mag-Hytec dipstick and this is working perfectly. 3 1/2 quarts brought my lube level up to about the level of the blue line.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mag-Hytec_Nissan Cover Comparisons Copy copy.jpg
Views:	824
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	74104  

Last edited by mcginkleschmidt; 02-18-2009 at 07:50 AM.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 03:18 AM

Great information! I have never been able to get 4.5 qts of oil in my rear diff after installing the Mag Hytec cover. I have usually had to put about 3.5-3.75 qts to get it to read on the dipstick correctly. But, as I can see from your awesome picture, this is too much as well. I'll siphon some off and see what happens.

The fill hole on the Mag Hytec is on the top, passenger side of the cover, so it is much higher than the stock cover. Makes it super easy to add fluid, but increases the risk of overfilling the rear diff.

One other question...Mag Hytec recommends checking the fluid level with the dipstick inserted, but not seated. Your picture looks like the dipstick is fully seated. Can you confirm this?

Last edited by no_duck; 02-18-2009 at 03:27 AM. Reason: additional comment
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 06:54 AM

I couldn't find the information in the Mag-Hytec manual about measuring the lube level with the dipstick "not fully seated." I seat my dipstick only as tight as I can by hand anyway, which is pretty damn tight. I don't use a tool to tighten it.

I cannot say how far the dipstick was "seated" in the photo. The photo did not originate with me as I "ripped" the photo from a Titan forum (cannot remember which) and modified the image somewhat to illustrate a point. The photo is great for illustration but I cannot take credit for it. I only borrowed the photo.

From the manual:

"Remove the dipstick assembly and add in the new gear lube. Your new cover will take approximately 4 1/2 qt’s to fill
(bottom of axle) for the #WT-44. There are two marks on your dipstick. The bottom mark represents the minimum fill line
and the top mark is the maximum fill line. YOUR OIL LEVEL SHOULD BE BETWEEN THESE LINES. Note: when
checking the oil level, remember to thread the dipstick assembly in by hand until it is snug against the O-ring. Remove the
dipstick assembly and check the level. If the oil level is at the full line, apply a thin film of oil to the dipstick assembly O-ring
and reinstall. Tighten snugly to (30 in. lbs). DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE ASSEMBLY. Drive at least 25 miles
and check oil level. If you have a special application vehicle, or your vehicle has been modified or "lifted" and the axle has
been rotated, you will have to establish the correct oil level for your vehicle as the dipstick marks as supplied by Mag-Hytec
will not apply. The correct oil level should be between the bottom of the inside of the axle tube and bottom of the axle
shaft. Once you have established the correct level, scribe a reference line on your dipstick for future reference and fill the
differential."
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MT-44 Mag-Hytec Manual.pdf (109.9 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by mcginkleschmidt; 02-18-2009 at 07:33 AM.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 04:27 AM

Thanks for the clarification and for the information from the manual.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 01:13 AM

iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Mione started to do this out of the front diff tube. Anyone got any thoughts. Replaced fluid last summer to bottom of fill hole. Took it on a 250 mile road trip and noticed it was leaking when I got back.

2007 SE Granite C/C 4X4 BT,OR,RF,Bed Package
Born 12/18/06 in Mississippi/ adopted 03/31/07 in Anchorage. Man that stork had a good drive.

Improved with Westin black aluminum nerf bars, Husky floor liners, Vent visors, Full billett grill, Black XE door handles,American racing Teflon THUG'S, Top Dawg folding tonneau cover, AEM brute force CAI with prefilter,
PRG 4INCH PERF Package with Saw's, Two 12 volt tech underseat subs with CDT 4100 and cdt replacment door speakers,MD DVD player with 8.5 screen Shift Pass You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top