HVAC fan switch fix - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Problems & Dealer Service Having a problem with your truck? Dealer service got you down? Let us know here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 09:56 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
HVAC fan switch fix

Hey guys,

Just wanted to start this post for anyone who might have come across the same problem that I did with the fan switch on the HVAC panel in the center console not working (slipping). First off, my Titan is a 2004 has 60,300 well used miles, she is indeed a working truck. The problem with the fan speed controller switch started about 2 weeks ago and I decided that before I spend $250 on a whole new HVAC control I would tear into the one on my truck and use come good ol fashioned mechanical know how to come up with a cheap and reliable fix. I do have pictures and I will be attaching them to the post as long as it lets me.

First step is to remove the center panel from your truck, this is easily done by just grabbing the top of the panel, just above the radio and pulling outward. It is only held in by 8 green clips. Once the panel is out, start disconnecting the electrical harnesses, be careful on the ones with the gray levers, they seem to be on the fragile side.

Next, remove all the knobs so they don't get damaged in further steps.

Then, flip the assembly over and remove the fan switch from the HVAC control. After the switch is off, remove the 4 screws holding the HVAC in place, you will need a torque bit for this (i believe it's a T-10)

Once you have the HVAC off and in hand, you will see 4 clips holding it together, depress the clips and pop the panel open. Remove the little plastic (barrel) piece, mine was cracked through the center on both sides which explains why the fan switch was no longer gripping. BTW, in case you were wondering, you CANNOT order this piece by itself, spent about 3 days calling around trying to get a replacement so I'll tell you guys how I fixed mine.

Now that you have the broken piece out. You will need to take the retainer piece off the fan switch (looks like a little black collar) Grab your trusty bottle of super glue (my personal favorite is Loctite Gel) First you want to glue the black collar into the barrel, make sure you don't over glue it, it will cause issues trying to get it back on the switch. Next, reinforce the repair from the outside using the glue, ensuring you fill the crack completely. Before this can be re-installed, you have to trim a little bit of the glue off the bottom of the barrel so it doesn't seize once you get it in.

Now all you have to do is re-assemble the HVAC, this is very important install the recirc switch and ensure that it doesn't bind on the repair. If it does, trim the excess glue away until it stops sticking. Then re-install the HVAC on the center panel and put the switches and knobs back on. Now would be a good time to op-check the setup to make sure it's not engaging the switch properly. If so, re-install into the truck. Mine has been in the truck for over a week now, and is showing no signs of weakness, it actually works better now then it did when I bought the truck off the showroom....lol.

Overall:
Cost of new HVAC: $250 +tax and shipping
Cost of repair: $10 (including cost of bit)
Savings: $240+

Good Luck and Happy Trucking
SanDogTitan & Nessie <---(my titan's name...lol)

2004 Titan SE 5.6L V8
Deepwater Blue
K&N CAI w/ Pre-Charger
Flowmaster Custom Exhaust
Bed Extender
Better Built Tool Box
Utility Bed Package
BIG TOW Package
Billet Grille.

"The Titan is stomp on your tea party, kick your dolly in the teeth, tough!"
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to sandogtitan For This Useful Post:
baseballfanz (10-11-2009), BBtruck (05-08-2009), Bonn (06-30-2012), Buzzard86 (12-29-2012), jaimwolfe (12-20-2012), RobKar (09-08-2009), SJMiller (03-11-2010), Smokey06 (05-11-2009), SOCALTITANKC4X4LE (05-07-2009), Stiged (07-09-2013), TeamBrainDamage (10-11-2009), Walrus (05-31-2009)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 07:03 PM

Re: HVAC fan switch fix

Thank you so much for this excellent How-to fix. My dealer wanted to charge me nearly $500 repair my A/C. That was three months ago, and today I used your instructions and pix to repair that cursed piece of under-engineered plastic, and guess what...my A/C blows better than it ever has. I think that ridiculous POS must have been partially broken when I bought my '04 truck, new off the lot in April of '05. I've always complained about the velocity of air blowing through the vents, but tonite, after gluing that collar back and creating some "strength webbing" with super glue, by #3 on the dial, it's blowing like a tornado. #4 on the dial and I have to turn up the stereo. Great help from the forum. Thank you!

One tiny problem, however, it appears now my Airbag light on the dash blinks. Maybe I didn't get the plug of wiring back on snugly for the Passenger Airbag bypass light at the bottom of the center console, you know, right by the Hazard light button. The Passenger OFF button actually seems to work, when I sit in the passenger seat, the light goes out, and with nobody there it lights up "OFF".

Regardless of that little issue, TitanTalk has saved me at least a couple hundred and bucks and possibly up to $500 for this little fix.
#3 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 08:31 PM

Thanks Sandogtitan your fix worked perfect.

Update

Well sandogtitan I have used your fix twice and now the knob is beyond repair.
First time I was able to use only super glue
Second time I used JBweld and some fine copper wire to strengthen the part.
Third time it was done for.

So, I now have a part that I made that will fix the problem permanently.

I cut the supports from the center of the knob ring and made an insert that is bigger, heavier and fixes the problem. A little super glue and reuse the steel D sleeve in the center and you will not have this problem again.

I cnc milled the insert from clear Acrylic.

This is the part Nissan should have made
BUT NO!!! THEY WANT YOU TO SPEND $260 - $500 TO FIX THE STUPID THING.

Jeff

2004 4x4

Last edited by 3dwaxmill; 06-12-2013 at 11:46 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 3dwaxmill For This Useful Post:
NissanOwnerBrad (11-27-2013)
#4 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 02:39 PM

Count me as another satisfied customer. Great write up and pics, saved me $250 or more. And the wife is so happy that I figured out how to fix this that I might even get lucky tonight.

OK, I didn't figure out the fix but I was smart enough to find it and who cares what the wife believes.
The Following User Says Thank You to txmrm For This Useful Post:
baseballfanz (10-11-2009)
#5 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 10:22 AM

iTrader Score: 10 reviews

I did this and it works great but there is still a possibility of recracking which mine has done. It still works but I have to turn it slowly because I feel it giving a little. Whoever designed this little piece needs to be shot.

8.04 K11 CC LE 4X OR BT PRG'd
#6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 05:31 PM

Anyone have a fix for a 2007 fan control switch it goes from off to full blast no other settings. Thanks for the help guys.
#7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyRay View Post
Anyone have a fix for a 2007 fan control switch it goes from off to full blast no other settings. Thanks for the help guys.
I would say that its the vbc..thats what happened to my titan..50-60 dollars at the local dealership

click here for more detail. A/C Blower cutting off problem solved? - Nissan Titan Forum: Club Titan Forums

Last edited by real_texan77; 09-22-2009 at 07:23 PM.
#8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 01:54 PM

thank you, a good post, the plastic piece broke in my 2004 titan too, and did not want to pay $200+ for the whole unit, took about 90 minutes to do this fix.

only problem I had was a blinking air bag light after putting it back in, I did the reset from another post on here, and all was good.

Blinking air bag light
#9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 03:33 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,196 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Good post. Nissan use a lot of plastic that are starting to break at about the 3.5 - 4 years mark.

2014 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Titan/Armada Part Numbers

Frequently asked fuse locations

305.5 WHP, 370.4 ft/lbs tq
#10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 05:34 PM

Thanked 1,228 Times in 772 Posts
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Great Thread!
#11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 06:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to FluxCubby

Thanks so much for your detailed write up and pics. I was able to fix mine tonight, thanks to you!

2004 King Cab LE
4x2
Big Tow
35% Tint
FramBoost CAI

AIRBORNE, ALL THE WAY!
#12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 05:40 PM

I waited and sweated all through the summer, and have frozen my *** off all this winter just because I didnt have the 300$ to pay for a new fan control assembly. The only money I paid out was the 1.99 for the bottle of super glue that I bought to repair the controls. My wife suggested I look for some "how to" videos on the internet and came across yours. If you were closer I'd kiss you!! With the help of your information and the assistance of my wife, I am rocked to say that it works great!! I am so greatful...Thank you!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandogtitan View Post
Hey guys,

Just wanted to start this post for anyone who might have come across the same problem that I did with the fan switch on the HVAC panel in the center console not working (slipping). First off, my Titan is a 2004 has 60,300 well used miles, she is indeed a working truck. The problem with the fan speed controller switch started about 2 weeks ago and I decided that before I spend $250 on a whole new HVAC control I would tear into the one on my truck and use come good ol fashioned mechanical know how to come up with a cheap and reliable fix. I do have pictures and I will be attaching them to the post as long as it lets me.

First step is to remove the center panel from your truck, this is easily done by just grabbing the top of the panel, just above the radio and pulling outward. It is only held in by 8 green clips. Once the panel is out, start disconnecting the electrical harnesses, be careful on the ones with the gray levers, they seem to be on the fragile side.

Next, remove all the knobs so they don't get damaged in further steps.

Then, flip the assembly over and remove the fan switch from the HVAC control. After the switch is off, remove the 4 screws holding the HVAC in place, you will need a torque bit for this (i believe it's a T-10)

Once you have the HVAC off and in hand, you will see 4 clips holding it together, depress the clips and pop the panel open. Remove the little plastic (barrel) piece, mine was cracked through the center on both sides which explains why the fan switch was no longer gripping. BTW, in case you were wondering, you CANNOT order this piece by itself, spent about 3 days calling around trying to get a replacement so I'll tell you guys how I fixed mine.

Now that you have the broken piece out. You will need to take the retainer piece off the fan switch (looks like a little black collar) Grab your trusty bottle of super glue (my personal favorite is Loctite Gel) First you want to glue the black collar into the barrel, make sure you don't over glue it, it will cause issues trying to get it back on the switch. Next, reinforce the repair from the outside using the glue, ensuring you fill the crack completely. Before this can be re-installed, you have to trim a little bit of the glue off the bottom of the barrel so it doesn't seize once you get it in.

Now all you have to do is re-assemble the HVAC, this is very important install the recirc switch and ensure that it doesn't bind on the repair. If it does, trim the excess glue away until it stops sticking. Then re-install the HVAC on the center panel and put the switches and knobs back on. Now would be a good time to op-check the setup to make sure it's not engaging the switch properly. If so, re-install into the truck. Mine has been in the truck for over a week now, and is showing no signs of weakness, it actually works better now then it did when I bought the truck off the showroom....lol.

Overall:
Cost of new HVAC: $250 +tax and shipping
Cost of repair: $10 (including cost of bit)
Savings: $240+

Good Luck and Happy Trucking
SanDogTitan & Nessie <---(my titan's name...lol)
#13 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 06:14 PM

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy48 View Post
I waited and sweated all through the summer, and have frozen my *** off all this winter just because I didnt have the 300$ to pay for a new fan control assembly. The only money I paid out was the 1.99 for the bottle of super glue that I bought to repair the controls. My wife suggested I look for some "how to" videos on the internet and came across yours. If you were closer I'd kiss you!! With the help of your information and the assistance of my wife, I am rocked to say that it works great!! I am so greatful...Thank you!!
Welcome to the forum Jimmy. Using the search function, you'll find more good info here than your dealer is likely to know.
If you're looking for entertainment or politics, check the off topic area.
What area of the country you in?

My eyez on the road, and my Bootzon the throttle.

2006 Granite Titan SE KC 4x4 Off Road
Big Tow, Utili-track, OEM spray on bedliner
Bed Extender, Bed Divider, OEM rolling toolbox
Granite ARE Z Series Topper
Powdered Chrome NFAB Step bars
'08 rear shackle upgrade
Frozen Rotors with Hawk Performance Pads
Bilstein 5100 performance struts/
ProComp Explorer Pro Runner Shocks
BFG Rugged Terrain T/A's
Box of toothpicks in the console to pick pieces of hemi's from my teeth.
Respect The Planet.
It's the only one we can drive our Titans on.
#14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 09:44 PM

Southern California....Redlands to be exact!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootzon View Post
Welcome to the forum Jimmy. Using the search function, you'll find more good info here than your dealer is likely to know.
If you're looking for entertainment or politics, check the off topic area.
What area of the country you in?
#15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 11:40 PM

hope your getting paid a lot

VK56 Racing Member
2004 SE CC 4x4 BT 6" Fabtech, 18" XD Addicts, 35" Toyo MT's, 2-10'' Pioneer Premiers, 1000 watt Kenwood amp, blacked out badges, tinted tails, blacked out door handles, Helix TBS, TB screen delete, DDM 55 watt 6000K HID low beams, Lund Avenger Bug guard, Michelin floor mats
The Following User Says Thank You to pbballa71 For This Useful Post:
jaimwolfe (12-20-2012)

Jump to top