Locked Out - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Problems & Dealer Service Having a problem with your truck? Dealer service got you down? Let us know here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 07:56 PM

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Locked Out

Am I crazy?

We towed the toy hauler out in the desert this weekend with the dirt bikes inside. After biking/hiking we got back. I unlocked the Titan, and we tossed the helmets, backpacks, etc. inside. I am pretty sure I did not lock the truck. No reason to, we were the only ones within 50 miles.

We had dinner, decided to go for a walk, so I went to get my sweatshirt out of the Titan. Weird. The doors were locked. Oh, I must have hit the button accidentally, I thought. Unlocked the doors, opened the passenger door. Put the keys on the seat while I took off my jacket, put on my sweatshirt, put my jacket back on, closed the door. Oops, better take the keys.

What? The door was locked. I couldn't effing believe it. With the keys sitting on the seat. The spare keys were in my wife’s backpack right next to them.

I had to bust out the rear window.

Could I have accidentally locked the truck twice in one day? I don't think so. But, I don't see anyone else on here having problems.

I tried to replicate the problem. But could not get the doors to lock by themselves again.

I am crazy huh.

2008 SE Crew Cab
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 08:09 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Re: Locked Out

Take the battery out of you remote and clean it up a bit and put it back in.

Mine started locking own it's own the other day. The only reason I found out is cause I was sitting in it on break when it started. The dealer told me if taking it out didn't work it's time for a new battery.
#3 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 08:18 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,597 Posts
Garage

The Titan has an autolock feature. It sounds like you need to disable it. I did that within the first couple of weeks after I bought it knowing that I would for sure end up locking my keys inside the cab.

«Granite '07 LE Crew Cab, 4x4, Big Tow, Off-Road, Side Curtain Airbags, Sunroof»
«ClearBra, Leer 100XQ, MM SI9500 Winch, 18" Magnaflow, Berk b-pipes, Volant PowerCore, AMSoil bumper to bumper, Uprev tuned»
«SAW Coilovers and rear shocks, PRG upper control arms and shackles, Hellwig rear sway bar»
Jim aka Bionic Whore
#4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 08:21 PM

Mine never auto locks. Never has in almost 3 years until the other day. The only thing I have done is about 6 months after I got it I switched so the horn didn't honk when I lock it.
#5 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 08:49 PM

Thanked 1,191 Times in 870 Posts
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

If it was previously locked, it will autolock in about a minute if you don't put the key in the ignition. That's what mine does.

Chicago area 05 KC SE 4x2 FFV, smoke, 2.94 gearing. Mods: Hypertech Max Energy, JBA catback, Airaid 4" MXP CAI, Hellwig HD traction springs, 08 rear shackles, Nasta nerf bars, Kenwood KSC-SW1 powered sub. Best full street trim (5120#) 1/4 mile track time of 14.632 running Bully Dog 87+2 and S&B CAI. 1/8 mile 9.30@74.49 with a 2.11 60'.
#6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 09:02 PM
Banned

Yep mine also auto-locks. I always make it a habbit to put the keys in my back pocket when working on the trucks or doing something. Another habbit I have as well is I'll auto-roll down the passanger window if I leave the keys in the truck (usually truck running). This way nothing can keep the truck running and accidently lock the doors. Passanger window is down. Or in winter roll em down 6'' so I can just reach my arm in and unlock if needed.
#7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 09:45 PM

if youve got the manual sliding rear window open it just enought that the latch does not catch, i leave mine like that it still seals out rain and i have no wind noise, but if i lock my keys in all i have to do is climb through
#8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 06:46 AM

Thanks guys.

It's an 08, so I doubt the remote battery could be the problem. The remotes work fine, and at a good distance too. I have never changed the batteries in my '99 and they are still working fine. I guess it's possible though.

Auto lock feature huh? That sounds like what it's doing. If that's true, I'm glad to hear I'm not crazy. I will have to read if it is in the owner's manual. If it is, then it's my fault. And I am just stupid, not crazy. I guess I should read that thing, huh. See, I am wanting to ask the dealer to pay for a new rear window, in addition to disabling the feature. I honestly feel this is a manufacturing defect. When it happened, I was mad as heck at Nissan. Then I started to wonder... If it is intentional, then I am really disappointed in Nissan. This is is the type of feature I was hoping to avoid. I haven't gotten a price on a rear window, but I bet this "convenience" is going to cost me bigtime.

If it's not in the manual, do you think the dealer will pay?

2008 SE Crew Cab
#9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 06:49 AM

iTrader Score: 10 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
Thanks guys.

It's an 08, so I doubt the remote battery could be the problem. The remotes work fine, and at a good distance too. I have never changed the batteries in my '99 and they are still working fine. I guess it's possible though.

Auto lock feature huh? That sounds like what it's doing. If that's true, I'm glad to hear I'm not crazy. I will have to read if it is in the owner's manual. If it is, then it's my fault. And I am just stupid, not crazy. I guess I should read that thing, huh. See, I am wanting to ask the dealer to pay for a new rear window, in addition to disabling the feature. I honestly feel this is a manufacturing defect. When it happened, I was mad as heck at Nissan. Then I started to wonder... If it is intentional, then I am really disappointed in Nissan. This is is the type of feature I was hoping to avoid. I haven't gotten a price on a rear window, but I bet this "convenience" is going to cost me bigtime.

If it's not in the manual, do you think the dealer will pay?
Yup. Auto-lock. 1 min after the doors shut, it locks.

2008 Nissan Titan LE CC 4x4 LWB

Mods

#10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 06:52 AM

iTrader Score: 10 reviews

And yes, its in the manual. Lots of neat stuff to be found in there. Most folks never read it, and most folks take a year or 2 to learn all the crap on their trucks. Some have to smash windows to learn about it.
Sorry it came to that.

2008 Nissan Titan LE CC 4x4 LWB

Mods

#11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 07:48 AM

Thanked 1,191 Times in 870 Posts

I keep a spare key in my wallet just in case.

Chicago area 05 KC SE 4x2 FFV, smoke, 2.94 gearing. Mods: Hypertech Max Energy, JBA catback, Airaid 4" MXP CAI, Hellwig HD traction springs, 08 rear shackles, Nasta nerf bars, Kenwood KSC-SW1 powered sub. Best full street trim (5120#) 1/4 mile track time of 14.632 running Bully Dog 87+2 and S&B CAI. 1/8 mile 9.30@74.49 with a 2.11 60'.
#12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 07:57 AM

Okay, here is what my manual says.

"Auto relock
When the Unlock button on the keyfob is pushed, all doors will lock automatically within 1 minute unless one of the following operations is performed:
* Any door is opened.
* A key is inserted into the ignition switch and the key is turned from OFF to ON."

So then, in my case, opening the door should have prevented my keys from being locked in. At least according to the manual. I think mine is malfunctioning, and Nissan is on the hook for fixing it, and the window too. (or I somehow accidentally hit the lock button, twice) I need to make it happen again.

I plan to put the valet key on the outside of the vehicle. I don't like to do this because I have had a car broken into using a key in a magnetic box. Really.

I thought about pounding out the front windshield. It would have made for an interesting trip home. Maybe just a small hole on the passenger side, that would have been smarter. Doh!

Thanks again. I am going to try some more to reproduce the problem, then call the dealer.

2008 SE Crew Cab
#13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 08:20 AM

Thanked 1,676 Times in 1,220 Posts
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to twistedfreedom

the driver and passenger window are 115bucks that's almost the same price as a lock smith

2008 Toyota Tacoma The Incredibuild
Farewell titan you will be missed, your MPG will not
PINKBARBIEWHORE™
Removed due to complaint
#14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allybabe_18 View Post
Get a magnetic key box and stick it somewhere on ur truck. Good luck.

Or get the numeric keypad and put it inside the gas door. I've never locked myself out...but I figure the keypad was cheap insurance in case I ever did.

'07 SE KC Titan, Tow, Utility Bed, Off Road and Preferred packages, Majestic Blue, rear diffy replaced at 30k miles
#15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 08:53 AM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 7,202 Times in 5,160 Posts
Send a message via AIM to DeadRiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNYC View Post
Or get the numeric keypad and put it inside the gas door. I've never locked myself out...but I figure the keypad was cheap insurance in case I ever did.
i've been meaning to do that mod but haven't yet.

i know on my 04 the autolock works if you unlock the truck and don't open the doors within 30 seconds. i learned this buy hitting the button to unlock, filling my arms with good to go over and open my door only to find it relocked.

2004 Sedona Titan LE CC 4wd
75,000 mi. 1/22/14

Link to DeadRivers' Overhead Racks with Bed Extender MOD Link to DeadRivers Titan Photos
2° | Sliding Bed Extender | 07 Bed Divider | OEM Overhead Racks | 10" BA Sub in a www.tech12volts.com Enclosure

PA Chapter Director

Link to MPV Titans Facebook Page
I should stop having my suit dry cleaned, it seems to kill people.
I'm not worried, I have a Titan with 4wd and a pair of balls.
You can lead a moron to knowledge but you cannot make him think.
I should probably buy more bullets.
The Urinator™

Jump to top