acceleration problem - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Problems & Dealer Service Having a problem with your truck? Dealer service got you down? Let us know here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 08:37 PM

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
acceleration problem

Iíve been having a problem with my truck, I bought it used about 15 months ago with 45,000 miles on it. About a month after I bought it I went on a road trip to Ohio. After about 4 hours of driving I noticed that every time Iíd tried to accelerate the truck would loose power at around 4000 rpm and simultaneously the tachometer would jump between 3500 rpm and 4000 rpm until I let off the gas and to drive normal. On the way home after getting gas the truck was riding fine until I went through the toll booth in Ohio and tried to accelerate. Then the truck wouldnít go past 2500 rpm and once again the tach would bounce between 2000 rpm and 2500 rpm. It got to the point that I could go over 45MPH. I assumed it must have gotten some bad gas because when I finally got back home I fueled the truck up with some fresh gas and it ran ok, however It still wouldnít go above 4500 rpm . After a couple days and fill ups the truck was running normal again. Every time I go on a long road trip it starts to do the same thing but just not as extreme. Iíve even gone through the effort of filling several gas cans and taking them with me instead of getting gas in Ohio. Of course every time I get a chance to bring it to the dealership they canít get it to repeat what itís been doing.
To me it seems to be something with the fuel system and every mechanic I ask doesnít seem to know what would cause this problem. Here are a few things Iíve done through trial and error in order to attempt to figure it out:
1)With the engine in neutral or park it will rev fine all the way up. It only does it when the engine is under load.
2)I ruled out the transmission not being able to downshift. I put it in manual shift mode and started out in first gear and accelerated and the truck did the same thing around 4000 rpm
3)I did the self diagnostic test and no codes popped up.
4)I checked and replaced the sparkplugs and it still does the same thing.
Iím going to try to take a video tomorrow because itís hard to explain exactly what itís doing. Keep in mind this happens sporadically. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 08:43 PM

Thanked 1,676 Times in 1,220 Posts
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to twistedfreedom
Re: acceleration problem

sounds like limp mode, It will limit your rpms and your speed. only happened to me once. it's a creepy feeling. have you tried an OBDII scanner to pull codes?

2008 Toyota Tacoma The Incredibuild
Farewell titan you will be missed, your MPG will not
PINKBARBIEWHOREô
Removed due to complaint
#3 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 08:47 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I would check to see if your MAF sensor needs to be cleaned. Also check your air filter and change if dirty. (maybe previous owner went mudding alot) as far as bad gas goes I never experienced that anywhere i have ever gone but i never have been to ohio so........... I hope you find out whats causing this and keep us posted.

2006 LE, CC, BT, 4x4-Blizzard White
#4 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 09:03 AM

I'll take a look at the MAF and see how it looks and I'll post a picture. The air filter is good, it's a K&N and I clean that every couple months. I was thinking about it lastnight, when I disconnected the negative terminal on the battery to put on my stillen headers last week it was off for about 11 hours which was plenty of time to reset the ECU. When I reconnected it the truck drove like it was brand new again and a couple days later it started acting up again. When I initially leave the driveway its fine then it progressivly gets worse, It seems to only do it after I've been driving for 20+ min.
#5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 09:37 PM

you need to get tuned if your not tuned, any header will need a tune> most people have uprev> you should see if your running lean, i believe most trucks run really lean after headers. I would get that checked with cipher and see your AFR etc........

2006 LE, CC, BT, 4x4-Blizzard White
#6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 05:44 AM

JoeTitan05,

Did you ever get this problem resolved. I am having the exact same problem. I lose power but yet I can put it in neutral and the issue is gone. I have a Volant Cold Air Intake with dual exhaust from the Magnaflow exhaust back. I did recently notice a hole in my exhaust before the CAT about the size of a nickle. My air intake has been cleaned as well as my MAF. I use very little oil when cleaning my air filter so that I do not damage the MAF.

The last time I had this issue, I cleaned my MAF and reset the ECU. It went away for about two months but then returned. I am almost at the point of selling my Titan.
#7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 06:32 AM

Check for a clogged Catalytic Converter.
#8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone1974 View Post
JoeTitan05,

Did you ever get this problem resolved. I am having the exact same problem. I lose power but yet I can put it in neutral and the issue is gone. I have a Volant Cold Air Intake with dual exhaust from the Magnaflow exhaust back. I did recently notice a hole in my exhaust before the CAT about the size of a nickle. My air intake has been cleaned as well as my MAF. I use very little oil when cleaning my air filter so that I do not damage the MAF.

The last time I had this issue, I cleaned my MAF and reset the ECU. It went away for about two months but then returned. I am almost at the point of selling my Titan.
I had to replace the fuel send unit. The filter was completely clogged.
#9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 12:26 PM

My Dad has the same damn problem. He brought the truck used from the Nissan Dealer off a lease return and he got screwed 1st on the tires, then on the transmission line leak... Last year Nissan sent out a recall on on 2 fuel units. The truck would not accelerate worth chit. After they "changed" out the 2 units...it runs 50% better, but my father still has the same problem, and it is DANGEROUS to say, because in the event of POWER NEEDED...your SOL.

I have run the OBD reader both running and not running, checked the spark plugs, looked for leaks. Check all other fluids for smell, dirt, and levels.
the Dealer says there is nothing wrong, the the only garage in town my dad trusts told him it is the trailer brake controller and that one of the 4 wires is affecting the fuel acceleration.

I have checked and rechecked that...it is wired right. The truck is all but wired for the device. I am almost wondering if Nissan fuked up the wiring on the truck some where in the fuel system?

I am outta idea on how to get it fixed for my dad, and he is at the same attitude on selling the SOB.

Anyone hear get this fixed...sounds like the other guy is in the same boat as me?
#10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 01:37 PM

Update to the problem...if I leave the lights off...no problems...as soon as I turn the lights on...it acts like a kill switch on the acceleration.
I had the pedal to the floor...moving along nicely...as soon as I turned on the lights...BOOM!
no acceleration.
turned them off...turned them back on...and I can't accelerate?

Anyone got any ideas on the problem is here.
No mods on the truck.
#11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetitan05 View Post
Iíve been having a problem with my truck, I bought it used about 15 months ago with 45,000 miles on it. About a month after I bought it I went on a road trip to Ohio. After about 4 hours of driving I noticed that every time Iíd tried to accelerate the truck would loose power at around 4000 rpm and simultaneously the tachometer would jump between 3500 rpm and 4000 rpm until I let off the gas and to drive normal. On the way home after getting gas the truck was riding fine until I went through the toll booth in Ohio and tried to accelerate. Then the truck wouldnít go past 2500 rpm and once again the tach would bounce between 2000 rpm and 2500 rpm. It got to the point that I could go over 45MPH. I assumed it must have gotten some bad gas because when I finally got back home I fueled the truck up with some fresh gas and it ran ok, however It still wouldnít go above 4500 rpm . After a couple days and fill ups the truck was running normal again. Every time I go on a long road trip it starts to do the same thing but just not as extreme. Iíve even gone through the effort of filling several gas cans and taking them with me instead of getting gas in Ohio. Of course every time I get a chance to bring it to the dealership they canít get it to repeat what itís been doing.
To me it seems to be something with the fuel system and every mechanic I ask doesnít seem to know what would cause this problem. Here are a few things Iíve done through trial and error in order to attempt to figure it out:
1)With the engine in neutral or park it will rev fine all the way up. It only does it when the engine is under load.
2)I ruled out the transmission not being able to downshift. I put it in manual shift mode and started out in first gear and accelerated and the truck did the same thing around 4000 rpm
3)I did the self diagnostic test and no codes popped up.
4)I checked and replaced the sparkplugs and it still does the same thing.
Iím going to try to take a video tomorrow because itís hard to explain exactly what itís doing. Keep in mind this happens sporadically. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Did you ever find the issue I have the same problem as the truck gets warm I start to loose power and rpms jump around unless I roll out of the throttle I had the transmison replace all ready once for this issue and has now returned so it was a miss diagnosis I am assuming
#12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoalan1481 View Post
Did you ever find the issue I have the same problem as the truck gets warm I start to loose power and rpms jump around unless I roll out of the throttle I had the transmison replace all ready once for this issue and has now returned so it was a miss diagnosis I am assuming
Scroll up 2 posts from the one you made asking. He posted what the problem was. SMH

2005 Smoke 4X4 CC - PRG minilift with 1.5" rear blocks, Bilstein front shocks, ICON rear shocks, K&N panel filter, UPREV tuned, JBA Longtubes, PRT high flowcatted b pipes, 3" magnaflow cat back single out, RAS, 275/72/18 General Grabber A2s, OEM bug guard and vent visors, Advanced quad fold hard tonneau
#13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 06:14 AM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 21,046 Times in 12,544 Posts
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEGOMITE View Post
Update to the problem...if I leave the lights off...no problems...as soon as I turn the lights on...it acts like a kill switch on the acceleration.
I had the pedal to the floor...moving along nicely...as soon as I turned on the lights...BOOM!
no acceleration.
turned them off...turned them back on...and I can't accelerate?

Anyone got any ideas on the problem is here.
No mods on the truck.
Check for LED tail light bulbs. If you find them, remove them.

Some people walk like an Egyptian. I walk like the pope with a cane.

BaldWhore
Starfishwhore

Red meat is not bad for you.
Fuzzy green meat is bad for you.

You know you had a great night last night when you make it home the next day missing at least half your clothes.

It's not the zombies you have to watch out for. It's the stupid people.
#14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 11:08 AM

I have the same issue but the light switch does not change a thing anyone have any ideas? I have had the ecm relay changed by the dealer no help. I think I have an issue with the tcm the problem has gotten worse it used to happen when the truck would get warm 2 3 hour drive now just one wot shift the rpm jump around like it cant figure out when to shift. Truck starts jolting. Transmission has no codes fluid is clean. I have had two transmission shops look at it one told me to sell the truck another said it is a drivability issue neither could figure it out. Ps no led tail lights!
#15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2014, 02:33 PM

I have a 2009 Nissan Titan. When I turn out my head lights I lose acceleration. With lights off I have good acceleration. My truck has been with Gulf Coast Nissan Service Center for 3 days and they tell me they have never seen anything like this.
Help!!!!

Jump to top