Nissan Titan Forum banner

4 wheel drive issue

8K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  JoeyCrack 
#1 ·
yesterday my 3 year old put my truck into 4 wheel hi without me knowing which actually turned out to be a good thing. when i was leaving my house my truck will not move forward or reverse with the wheel turned at all. I realize that 4wd vehicles have certain issues with turning but i just confirmed it again if i put the truck in 4wd it will not move with the wheel turned more then a little bit.

i had a leaking axle i worked on not long ago but i'd think the axle if the problem would be a constant issue not just when the wheel is turned.

if i give the truck gas its like i'm power braking it. does anyone have any ideas?

thanks folks

#2 ·
That's normal for a part-time 4WD system and the exact reason why we say "Don't use 4WD on pavement!" ;)

When you turn, all 4 tires take different paths, which means they also turn at different speeds. When in 4WD the front and rear driveshafts are locked together and MUST spin at the same speed, so what ends up happening is you get drivetrain wind-up and eventually either a tire breaks free or something breaks.

Reactions: JoeyCrack
#3 ·
That's normal for a part-time 4WD system and the exact reason why we say "Don't use 4WD on pavement!" ;)

When you turn, all 4 tires take different paths, which means they also turn at different speeds. When in 4WD the front and rear driveshafts are locked together and MUST spin at the same speed, so what ends up happening is you get drivetrain wind-up and eventually either a tire breaks free or something breaks.
makes sense i'm probably over thinking the whole thing but you know how those of us with a passion for our trucks get. thanks :redblob"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.