4 wheel drive issue - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Problems & Dealer Service Having a problem with your truck? Dealer service got you down? Let us know here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JoeyCrack
4 wheel drive issue

yesterday my 3 year old put my truck into 4 wheel hi without me knowing which actually turned out to be a good thing. when i was leaving my house my truck will not move forward or reverse with the wheel turned at all. I realize that 4wd vehicles have certain issues with turning but i just confirmed it again if i put the truck in 4wd it will not move with the wheel turned more then a little bit.

i had a leaking axle i worked on not long ago but i'd think the axle if the problem would be a constant issue not just when the wheel is turned.

if i give the truck gas its like i'm power braking it. does anyone have any ideas?

thanks folks

The War Machine
Canteen Green
2004 4x4 Offroad Big Tow Fosgate Packages only 65k miles!
315/70/17 Kumho MTs/ oem brush guard / xe handles / PRG Minilift / Go Rhino Steps
Superchips Cortex
my toy: 2004 turbo LS1 GTO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 05:31 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Yahooligan
Re: 4 wheel drive issue

That's normal for a part-time 4WD system and the exact reason why we say "Don't use 4WD on pavement!"

When you turn, all 4 tires take different paths, which means they also turn at different speeds. When in 4WD the front and rear driveshafts are locked together and MUST spin at the same speed, so what ends up happening is you get drivetrain wind-up and eventually either a tire breaks free or something breaks.

The new pup: 2007.5 Dodge Ram 3500 MegaCab SLT 4x4 SRW, Inferno Red
The old dog: 2005 Titan SE CC BT 4x4 - Magnaflow 24" w/ 3" Y-back single pipe, Bully Dog GT, RAS, SnugTop Sport shell, 5000k HIDs - SOLD!
The tail: 2010 Keystone Hideout 31BHS - Reese SC hitch, Prodigy brake controller
The old fish: 1984 Scarab 21SS - Marine Power 454 - SOLD
The new fish: 1998 Seaswirl 170 BR I/O
The Following User Says Thank You to Yahooligan For This Useful Post:
JoeyCrack (10-01-2009)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JoeyCrack
Re: 4 wheel drive issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahooligan View Post
That's normal for a part-time 4WD system and the exact reason why we say "Don't use 4WD on pavement!"

When you turn, all 4 tires take different paths, which means they also turn at different speeds. When in 4WD the front and rear driveshafts are locked together and MUST spin at the same speed, so what ends up happening is you get drivetrain wind-up and eventually either a tire breaks free or something breaks.
makes sense i'm probably over thinking the whole thing but you know how those of us with a passion for our trucks get. thanks

The War Machine
Canteen Green
2004 4x4 Offroad Big Tow Fosgate Packages only 65k miles!
315/70/17 Kumho MTs/ oem brush guard / xe handles / PRG Minilift / Go Rhino Steps
Superchips Cortex
my toy: 2004 turbo LS1 GTO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top