Front Axle Shaft Inner CV Boot Replacement? - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Suspension Technical discussion about the suspension components.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 12:56 AM

Thanked 1,677 Times in 1,257 Posts
iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Front Axle Shaft Inner CV Boot Replacement?

OK for all you suspension guru's... How hard is it to replace the inner CV boot? I have a set of front axle shafts that need to be torn down and booted... I just started to play around with them and noticed the inner cap will pop off easy enough to unpack the majority of the grease... but before blasting away the excess grease and figuring out how to take the inners apart... I'd like to know if there are cautions I need to take in case there are bearings that'll go flying or something similar... I've been checking around a bit in some local shops and so far I haven't found anyone who services them, and the parts guy (idiot) at my local stealership told me that "they are non-servicable, you have to buy new ones...", which has gotta be a load of crap!

DrtyAzn
Slightly Modified 4X4 '06 Titan CC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 02:06 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Re: Front Axle Shaft Inner CV Boot Replacement?

Well I dont know how to change them but I replaced the passenger side half axle cv boot and it was very easy to do ( I thought it was going to be harder). I got the axle from advanced auto parts for 69.99 with free shipping. Considering the boot kit is about $25 I thought it was worth it and I was told its kinda labor intensive to replace the boots, but dont know maybe Im wrong or was told wrong. Goodluck!!

Current Mods: billet grille, westin step bars, pro comp traction bars, 6" pro comp lift, 2" ready lift spacers, 35x12.50x17 toyo mt's, 17" xd hoss black wheels , AEM CAI, banks exhaust
#3 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 07:03 PM

I got a question for anyone who can help, My axle shaft on the driver side has been pulled out about 3 inches, i went to a Nissan dealership,they told me it was because of my leveling kit, its got the shaft sitting at to much of an angle so it keeps pulling it out!! What is the best fix? are there after market axle shafts that they make for titans that are longer or something im missing, And where can i order them , how much am i looking at? Thanks!!
#4 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 07:08 PM

hey i see you have the bully dog gt, i just purchased one for my titan any tips or advice for installing it, did u take the factory settings like the rev limiter and th WOT off? anything would help first time using a tuner
#5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 2,836 Times in 1,879 Posts
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

The 04 and 05 shafts tend to pull out. They upgraded the front diff in 06 to resist pull out.

These guys are supposed to have upgrades cvs out shortly. http://www.rcvperformance.com/
#6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
I got a question for anyone who can help, My axle shaft on the driver side has been pulled out about 3 inches, i went to a Nissan dealership,they told me it was because of my leveling kit, its got the shaft sitting at to much of an angle so it keeps pulling it out!! What is the best fix? are there after market axle shafts that they make for titans that are longer or something im missing, And where can i order them , how much am i looking at? Thanks!!
something else must be wrong if your axle shaft is constantly being pulled out 3"s... Highly doubtful it's due to just your level kit... As for replacement shafts, I found the best priced replacement at Rock Auto Parts online...

DrtyAzn
The Following User Says Thank You to DRTYAZN For This Useful Post:
scoobs (02-20-2011)
#7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 10:03 PM

iTrader Score: 5 reviews

So how much lift is gonna start to pull out earlier axle shafts or prematurely wear out your CVs. I have DR coilovers with the hat flipped and run them pre-loaded (want the height to run taller tires). I emailed greg and asked about runnin' the coilovers at full pre-load (would it only run like chit, or would it actually harm other stuff). I didn't understand his answer. It sounded like if you tried to add more lift than the flipped hats and full pre-load, you'd start to run into CV problems. At that point you need to run a bracket lift or some sort. Any one have idea on this. I've been runnin' it this way for month, and I don't notice anything different. Even the ride isn't that bad.
#8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 10:25 PM

it was the first time it has happened, i got it put back in but i notice its still leaking a lil, the best thing to do is just replace it im guessing, and is all i need is the shaft or is there more to the set up,? i also have bigger tires and rims so that might adding to the problem, Thanks again for your help!
#9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 10:44 PM

Ok, first... Lets clear up the "axle shaft" that's being pulled... I can only see the front axle shafts (CV half shafts) being pulled out if they are being pulled from the hub, which means your shaft nut is loose and cotter pin is gone... The interior side of the axle shaft should be secured by bolts...
Now if you are talking about the actual front drive shaft (from transfer case to front diff), then you probably lost the retainer clip inside the front diff and that's why it is free to move about...

DrtyAzn
The Following User Says Thank You to DRTYAZN For This Useful Post:
scoobs (02-20-2011)
#10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 11:05 PM

ya its the cv half shaft that goes from the hub to the transfer case, its not the actual drive shaft, i took it to Nissan they put it back in but they insist its because of the angle the shaft is at, does that make more sense? Im new as u can probably tell haha. the shaft is maybe a foot 2 feet long with rubber casing around each end!
#11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 11:42 PM

Quote:
ya its the cv half shaft that goes from the hub to the transfer case, its not the actual drive shaft, i took it to Nissan they put it back in but they insist its because of the angle the shaft is at, does that make more sense? Im new as u can probably tell haha. the shaft is maybe a foot 2 feet long with rubber casing around each end!
They fed you a line of schit! The shaft came out of the hub because 1) the cotter pin was probably not installed, 2) the retaining nut worked itself off or maybe wasn't even torqued down to begin with...
If you remove your wheel cap, you will see what I am talking about... Has absolutely nothing to do with the minimal increased angle of shaft added by the leveling kit spacer...

DrtyAzn
#12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
ya its the cv half shaft (this is not the half shaft, just the cv shaft) that goes from the hub to the transfer case (the thing between the front wheels is the front differential, not the transfer case), its not the actual drive shaft (the drive shaft goes from the front differential to the transfer case, which is located by the aft end of the transmission), i took it to Nissan they put it back in but they insist its because of the angle the shaft is at, does that make more sense? Im new as u can probably tell haha. the shaft is maybe a foot 2 feet long with rubber casing (this is called a boot) around each end!
The thing that pulls out is called the half shaft. Look at this exploded diagram of the front differential:

38220Y and 38230Y are the half shafts. The CV shafts bolt to the flanges on those half shafts. The inner ends of the half shafts are splined and held in engagement with the internal splines of the side gears 38423Y only by spring clips 38225Y which engage circumferential grooves in the half shafts.

When a half shaft pulls out, you will see a separation between the flange and the differential housing. The 2006+ differentials were upgraded to require increased force to pull the half shafts out of engagement with the side gears.

#13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 11:56 PM

thanks for explaining that to me, so what do u think would be the best fix for me decides not going back to that dealership! its back in right now but has a slow leak, dont really wanna drive on it till i got it fixed right, Thanks again this is helping me huge
#14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator

What model year is your truck?

#15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 12:05 AM

its a 2005 xe crew cab

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top