Nissan Titan Forum banner

Leveling your titan - overview

309K views 1K replies 241 participants last post by  Roush 
#1 · (Edited)
It seems like the question comes up all the time and I know that Greg's Lift Overview does not include leveling, so I figured I would add a new thread dedicated to this.

The biggest thing that determines how much lift you can get in the front to level your truck depends on the year of your truck and if you are 2wd or 4wd:

'04-'07 2wd: 2.5"
'04-'07 4wd: 2"
'08+ 2wd: 2"
'08+ 4wd: 1.5"

If you keep your leveling kit at or below these numbers, you SHOULDN'T have coil bucket contact, although sometimes very minimal contact can occur. If you go over these numbers, you will more than likely need aftermarket upper control arms or will at least need to grind down your coil buckets.

Options for leveling:
1) Spacers - these are the cheapest route and can be found at prgproducts.com. You can also find these all over ebay, but the big thing you want to make sure you do is get a solid billet spacer. These are much more sturdy than the other options and will last longer over time. These spacers will maintain the stock ride while helping to reduce the rake of the truck.

2) Bilstein 5100's - think of these as a 1/2" spacer, although they have the ability to lift your titan more than that. These have three different lift settings, .5", 1.5", or 2-2.5". The ride will get firmer as you go higher with these and there are very few people on the site using the highest setting. However, NO MATTER WHAT SETTING YOU USE, IT STILL ONLY COUNTS AS A 1/2" SPACER. Example: Bilstein 5100's on any setting count as a 1/2" spacer, so a pre '08 4x4 could use a 1.5" spacer plus the Bilstein 5100's on ANY setting, and it will work (total of 2" spacer). These are a substantial upgrade to the ride of the stock shocks. For more information on these, check out this thread: 5100's Install and Tips.

3) For pre '08 titans and '08+ 2wd titans, you can upgrade your coils to the '08+ 4wd coils. There are many write ups on this mod, so I will not go into details on this. Here is a good one from recently: '08 + Coils and 5100's

4) Rough Country 3" Lift: this lift comes with aftermarket upper control arms as well as the spacers. For '08+ 4wd titans, it has been recommended to not go with the full size spacer that this kit comes with because you will more than likely still have coil bucket contact. You can talk to Rough Country when you order this kit and ask them for a smaller spacer, which should be a 2" spacer.

5) Lifting the rear: this can be achieved using a block and will maintain the stock ride. However, it is recommended to get the front of the vehicle done first to see how big of a rear block you need. You can also use Deaver Packs, which can be found here: PRG Products - Rear Suspension.

6) Lifting higher than the recommended heights: you can do this, but as I mentioned, you will at least need to grind down your coil bucket lips and you might still need aftermarket upper control arms as well. Options for aftermarket upper control arms include Rough Country (1/2" more lift allowed), PRG, and Total Chaos (1"+ more lift allowed).

One other thing to note is that after any of these lifts, an alignment is always recommended. If you are an '05 or later, you will more than likely need new camber bolts to get your alignment set correct. These can be found on PRG's website as well as at any auto shop or even on ebay.

I know I have probably missed a few things, so if anyone has any other notes or tips, I would be happy to add them to this thread!

See less See more
#2 ·
Deavers for the rear as well. Camber bolts for going over the recommended leveling amount are key to an alignment and tire wear. I vote sticky.

Sent from my PB99400 using AutoGuide.com App

#5 ·
this needs to be a sticky. there are way too many threads every day of people asking how much they can level their truck and stuff.

#7 ·
LOL that's why I figured this might help. Seems like there is a new thread every day about it, and for good reason as it can get very confusing. Hopefully this helps simplify it for everyone!

Reactions: Paskell
#6 ·
Sticky this! Answered any concerns and questions I had!

Sent from my Desire HD using AutoGuide.com App

#8 ·
Hey cohunter I've got the prg mini lift sittin around that i bought this winter. It says it's a 2" lift in the front and 1" in the back. Do you think I'll have bad enough coil bucket contact that i'll need new upper control arms or should i be able to just grind down the buckets a bit?

#9 ·
It all depends what year you are and if you are 2wd or 4wd. If you are an 08+ 4wd, you will definitely get some contact. You will have to grind the lips down on your coil buckets at a minimum and you also might have to get new UCA's.

Reactions: Jodale1972
#11 ·
Leveling your titan - overview
I'm glad you did this before I did LOL. I just finished answering more questions about leveling.
Nicely done.
I vote sticky too!

#12 ·
short and simple, i like it.just one Q

i have an 06 4x4. i want the PRG mini lift. i NEED new shocks. if i get the PRG kit that is 2.5" up front and 1.5" in the rear, will i have CB contact with bilstien 5100s and HDs/stock? the front 2.5 is over the max 2" mentioned above, but is that number for CB contact with bilstiens 5100s only, or any shock? this is where i have been getting confused the most, one post talks about the bils and another doesnt.

If i would get CB contact i have to get the 2" front and 1" rear with HDs and i will still be .5" lower in the front than the rear unless i get new upper control arms with bilstiens on the middle setting. yes?

#14 ·
With the 2.5" spacer alone you will have major contact. If you want to run 5100's up front, go with a 1.5" spacer. The 5100's add an extra .5" to the spacer due to a longer body.

Reactions: Anavrin351
#13 ·
fuk that, upper control arms are over $600. i will just have the shop grind down the front block if theres contact i guess.

Reactions: StrikeSwiftly
#15 ·
Like Mack said, go with the 1.5" spacer and Bilstein 5100's on middle setting. That will give you 3" of lift without cb contact. Then you can add a rear block and you will be all set.

#16 ·
3inches equals coil bucket contact with stock ucas. Or grind the crap out of them and they may work if your an 04- 07 two wheel drive.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#20 ·
3 inches will not equal coil bucket contact if it is a 1.5" spacer and Bilsteins on the middle setting for Pre '08 4x4's. That essentially equals a 2" spacer even though you are getting 3" of lift.

#17 ·
thanks alot for this thread, saved me some time from lookin lol. and how much did u guys pay for your bilsteins?

#19 ·
I think I paid $258 for all 4 plus the cost to ship to Hawaii through AJUSA.

#18 ·
Right at 100 shipped each from 4wheelparts.com. You can get them for cheaper from AJUSA

#21 · (Edited)
Then why does everyone including the king of titans Greg say 3 inches will cause cb contact? The rough country 3 inch spacer caused cb contact on my truck with my stock worn out struts and stock ucas. 2.5 is the most you can go with out bang bang bang on your coil buckets. But who cares its not my truck. Do what you want. Hell even double your spacers. But the correct answer is swap your ucas if you don't want to tear up your truck with 3 inches. Or add an .5 inch spacer to the bilsteins on the middle setting like SoCal said

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#23 ·
Then why does everyone including the king of titans Greg say 3 inches will cause cb contact? The rough country 3 inch spacer caused cb contact on my truck with my stock worn out struts and stock ucas. 2.5 is the most you can go with out bang bang bang on your coil buckets. But who cares its not my truck. Do what you want. Hell even double your spacers. But the correct answer is swap your ucas if you don't want to tear up your truck with 3 inches. Or add an .5 inch spacer to the bilsteins on the middle setting like SoCal said
They are not talking about having a 3" spacer, which is what you had and that is what caused your CBC. A 1.5" spacer and Bilsteins on middle setting is a different set up than just a 3" spacer.

#25 ·
^^^ that's why I don't post after taking jack3d. I had something twice that long to begin with.

#26 ·
Don't forget that RAS (Roadmaster Active Suspension) kits can add anywhere from .5" to 2" to the rear for leveling purposes (if you so desire); one of the side benefits of this product.

#28 ·
I'm going to add that to the 5100's install and tips thread. Post it in yours. Maybe if we post it enough times people will be able to find it and not start a new thread on "5100's and spacer. Need help!!!" lol.

#30 · (Edited)
thats the most confusing part about the leveling/suspension. But with mac's explaining everything to where i could understand where the extra 1" to equal 3" came from. i just figured everyone was having problems with math.

So all in all with the mini lift that has the 1.5 front spacer and the bilsteins on the mid notch, i will need a 1.5" rear spacer to have a level truck, but a 1" will be close enough im guessing

Edit: its the prg titan 15x1 kit. all other kits offer a 2" front spacer or more. so if you are using the bilstiens up front on the middle notch you want the 15x1 kit. or seperate pieces to creat the look you want.

How do the bils effect the rear? they are a leaf spring so it seems to me the bil 5100s on the middle setting would have an effect, but is it still 1" of preload plus the .5" of extra length on the shock so a total of 1.5"? Or is that what the 5125 does? Sorry for the questions, i just like to have all the facts before i do anything and so far this thread has been the most helpful with mack and cohunter combining to answer questions and putting them in lamemans terms.

#31 · (Edited)
The 5125's for the rear have no effect on height. The shocks only dampen the bounce of the springs. I would install the front first. Then order a block and 5125's, or other rear shock, to match the amount lifted in the rear to get the look you want.

#32 ·
And it doesn't matter what notch you put the 5100's on in the front, they will still act as a .5" spacer. So if you even put them up front on the lowest setting, you still want a 1.5" spacer. As MACK said, it is probably the best idea to set up the front first, then decide how big of a block you need in the back. One other note: the 5125 Bilsteins are for lifted rear ends (2+ inches I believe). If you don't go over 2" in the back, you can use the standard 5100's in the rear, which also do not change the height of the truck.

Reactions: Anavrin351