Nissan Titan Forum banner

Clunk sound going over speedbumps or drop offs in road

17K views 36 replies 15 participants last post by  MBTitan4x4 
#1 ·
So took my 2011 Titan CC 4x4 to the dealership. Still under warranty as well. They even went on a ride along with me to hear the clunk sound the front end is making. After keeping my truck all day and giving me a loaner, they call me and say it's the suspension hitting the bump stops and making that loud clunk. Nothing they can do, nothing wrong with the suspension, shocks are good, struts are good, etc...

What the hell?

Anyone else have this same issue? What was the fix from your dealer?

Thanks guys!

#2 ·
If you lifted 2"+ you probably need UCAs and aftermarket bump stops. If it stock no that is not normal for just speedbumps. Unless the new ones have something different im pretty sure somethings wrong

#3 ·
I was going to say shocks but you say the dealer said they were good...

Are you stock?

#4 ·
I'm totally stock. It's a 2011 CC SV 4x4. The only thing I have done is change the tires to Nitto Terra Grapplers. I feel something is wrong too and the dealership is just trying to pass it off like it's normal.

#5 ·
I have a 2014 SL that is three weeks old and all stock and I get the same clunk when there is even a slight drop off in the road. There is a some ice build up on the road by my work parking lot and the first time I went over it I heard the clunk.
I thought there must have been a pot hole in the road, so I made note the next time I went thru that stretch and there is no pothole - just a 2 inch thick patch of ice that transitions to bare pavement.
There is no reason that should create a clunk sound.

#6 ·
Exactly how I feel. I have about 26k miles, there is no reason for me to hear a clunk like that. My wifes Jetta with 75k miles doesn't make a sound like that. And my 06 Titan I had before this with 95k miles didn't do that either.

#7 ·
Did you buy this truck brand new or used? If used then check to see if there are coil spring spacers on the front. I know you said it's stock but maybe the guy before you put them on. I used to have spacers and everytime I would go over a speed bump or hit a pothole I would get a clunk noise.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#8 ·
It's used. Bought it a month ago with 25k miles on it.

I will check but since it was still under bumper to bumper, I took it straight to the dealer. I would have thought if there was anything there, they would have said something to me. I may take it to get a second opinion at another dealer.

#9 ·
You can always see those things right away though your gonna have to get a flash light and shine up inside the coil bucket.

#10 ·
Its clunking on the down travel right? I have heard this in previous Titans I have owned. I decided its the front struts fully extending and clunking when the end of the shaft hits the end of the shock body. These truck have like no droop in the front suspension stock. I noticed I would only here it when the front end was able to droop out fast. I haven't heard it on my 13 pro-4 yet but am only at 500 miles on it now and it hasn't seen the dirt yet. IMO your hearing the front struts fully extending. So yes its normal no its not right but it is normal. Now if you are hearing it all the time then I would say you have more going on.

Reactions: gonfishin
#12 ·
Dealer says it's the bump stops making the clunk sound when the suspension hits the bump stops. They say it's normal. I DON'T THINK SO MYSELF. What should I do guys?

#13 ·
If you think its the stops take it to the dealer and paint the bump stops with regular white chaulk. If it is them hitting you should see contact from the white chaulk. If not, then it's not you hitting the stops.

#15 ·
Im sorry to tell you but AZtitn is correct. the front struts on the nissan Titan all do this...i owned a 2004 2006 2008 and my 2010 and they all do it...even my pro 4 x with rancho front struts. annoying but no safety issues. Goes away some after 40K :) you could always call greg at PRG products and buy some aftermarket performance front struts. but your truck is fine.

#16 ·
These clunk hard on the upstroke also...topped out i call it...most noticeable on small choppy bumps like a speed bump. Normal also in afraid Its just the stroke of the shaft hitting its stops going up or down. This is an annoying issue but this also helps our trucks handle good....its a limiter for the up stroke to keep the front end level while cornering....hope i helped.

#17 ·
Sorry AZTitn, yes that sounds exactly what it is. Good to know other guys have had this issue and you say it's not a true concern. I hate that this is normal as it's annoying to hear. So my best fix is new aftermarket struts? And you say this goes away after more mileage too.

I wanted to upgrade my suspension anyways as I'm a 4x4, not pro4x. So the basic stock set up is ok but not great.

#19 ·
Thanks for your help too man. Thank you to everyone on here. The sound still sucks but good to know my truck is ok and the dealer wasn't blowing smoke up my @ss to just pass me off.

#23 ·
Well I took this a step further and contacted Nissan Corp. They had a mgr at my local dealer ride with me and then ride in another Titan that was similar. The noise didn't happen on their truck but did on mine. Now he is giving me a new set of front shocks as it sounds like just the right side is fully extending way to fast. I'll give this a try and none the less, it's a new set of shocks.

#24 ·
I too have this issue. Just purchased an 08 Pro4x and noticed the same clunk. Mine only occurs on the passenger side. It seems that there would have to be a fix for this. It shouldn't be 'normal' if some Titans have it and some don't; some have it on both sides and others on one side; some develop it after 50k miles and some from the show room floor.

My thinking is, if some of the trucks develop the clunk, there has to be a way to figure out why it developed and correct that cause. Until then, I'll continue to creep over speed bumps like a lowered 79 El Camino on 14" wire wheels.

#25 ·
Or contact Nissan Corp and have them contact your local dealer to try and get it fixed like I did. New shocks coming by next week since I took this issue higher up.

#26 ·
Mine developed a clunk at 1500mi...dealer "fixed" it and the pro lem was back in two days.
Mine was the driver side. After removing the strut and inspecting it and determining it looked fine I re installed it. while it was still up on the jack I used a long handled box end open end wrench and tighten the nut on the top of the strut in the center of the coil bucket very tight. While tightening it I could feel some resistance like rubbery drag feeling but I kept going till it was really tight.
I have sense hauled *** over speed bumps and just plain had fun in the truck for about a month and the clunk has not came back.
May give it a try just jack it up and you probably won't even need to remove the tire.

#28 ·
ssbogger, I doubt it with that many miles. Mine only has 30k miles so the factory bumper to bumper is covering me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.