Nissan Titan Forum banner

Lower control arm bolts

17K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  avmaldo 
#1 ·
I'm replacing my control arms on my Titan. Having problems getting the lower control arm bolts out, they won't even budge. Got the nuts off fine. Is there some sort of trick? What am I missing?

#2 ·
Dead blow hammer might help. Wiggle the arm a little. Try putting a jack under the arm if needed.

#4 ·
It's just the bolt heads that are stuck. I can wiggle the bracket and the control arm. Wasn't sure if the bolt was threaded into something on the bushing or bracket. I work nights so I had to go get some sleep, soaked it in more pb blaster so I'm hoping that helped. Looks like I may have to cut them out. Every bolt under there is or was stuck. So much for a quick fix

#3 ·
wrong forum

might have to cut them out and burn off the bushings. hammer and some heat goes a long way though.

#5 ·
pretty common issue. they get seized in there real good.

#6 ·
Had the same problem with my 2005 at 103K miles - I used the saws all to cut mine out - and replaced the bolts with PRG and the lower control arms with the MOOG problem solver. These have new bushings and ball joint already installed for you and the ball joint has a grease fitting

#7 ·
Ya I think I'm going to have to cut them out. I can actually turn them about a face each way with my impact but theyre not coming out. I also noticed I put a hole in the inner tie rod boot from the torch. Awesome. Can't get the bolt out of the lower ball joint either.

I've bought moog upper and lower control arms along with tie rods a sway bar links.

This has turned into a pia and haven't even started on the bolts on the upper yet.

#8 ·
Mine were simply horrible - turned but could not pound them out even with an air chisel - torch is a bad idea - you will set the rubber bushings on fire before you can get the metal hot enough to make them break free. I found the saws all was the only practical solution.

#9 ·
Wow I had no idea these were such a pita for some. Mine slid out pretty easy.

#10 ·
Got one side finished today. Went and bought a saws all and a bunch of blades. Cut the lowers out in no time then went to the hardware store for bolts. Started on the other side but ran out of blades. Have two left to cut out. One on the lower and one on the upper this time. Oh and had to go pick up an inner tie rod tool cuz my crescent wasn't big enough. What a freaking pia. My back and my hands are killing me.
I can't believe how stuck those are. I zipped the nuts off no problem but the bolts and bushings melted together.
Thank to everyone for the help. This site has saved my *** many times.

#11 ·
Got one side finished today. Went and bought a saws all and a bunch of blades. Cut the lowers out in no time then went to the hardware store for bolts. Started on the other side but ran out of blades. Have two left to cut out. One on the lower and one on the upper this time. Oh and had to go pick up an inner tie rod tool cuz my crescent wasn't big enough. What a freaking pia. My back and my hands are killing me.

I can't believe how stuck those are. I zipped the nuts off no problem but the bolts and bushings melted together.

Thank to everyone for the help. This site has saved my *** many times.

Don't know if you should just put hardware store bolts in there. You might get some play / vibration or backing off of the nuts. If you're replacing the bolts you might consider either oem from the dealer or adjustable cam bolts from amazon, TAP, PRG, etc..

#15 ·
A little confused here, I thought the lower control arm bolts are the cam bolts used for front end alignment. Have you had the front end aligned?

#16 ·
Yes. I replaced everything. Upper and lower control arms, inner and outer tie rods and both half shafts. Had to replace all but one control arm bolt because I had to cut them off. They were stuck in the spacers. Then I got it aligned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.