Nissan Titan Forum banner

OEM Ride - time for new struts or?

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  ninnemannk 
#1 ·
Being new to the Titan I'm wondering what the OEM Ride is like when new. Is there a certain amount of 'float' and body roll or is it normally firm?

I don't have any leaking shocks/struts so if replacing them won't firm things up I'll just leave them. However if they are in fact worn and new ones will firm things up I will add it to my to list.

#2 ·
If you just want to stay stock height get 4600s if you would like the option of a slight lift get 5100s the ride is better than stock

Reactions: Pickle-Smooch
#3 ·
Nissan struts and shocks are crap, throw some Bilsteins on and your ride will be significantly better.

Reactions: Pickle-Smooch
#4 ·
Thanks. Bilsteins are always a win. But what I"m trying to determine is what the ride is going to be like.

I like a stiff ride with little body roll.

I test drove a lot of large SUVs when I was in the market back in 2009. I chose a Hummer H2 and a very large part of that decision was the way that thing rides. Almost no body roll compared to the big (Tahoe/Yukon, Armada, Expedition) SUVs.

#12 · (Edited)
I like a stiff ride with little body roll.
:big_grin: this made me chuckle :big_grin: all i thought was Road Trip :laugh:

anyways, like people mentioned go Bilstein's. either 5100's if you want adjustablility...if not go with the 4600's.

#6 ·
If you want less body roll get a rear sway bar. I have less roll with my new 5100's than I did with my Ranchos, but those had over 110k on them. 5100's are on middle setting with a spacer, no front or rear sway bar.

#9 ·
The three settings are 0" (stock) 1" and 2", middle setting would bring you up a little bit in the front, but you would still have about 1/2 of rake front to back (front will still be 1/2" lower than the back). Not sure how sensitive to body roll you are, but I believe the bilsteins will improve the body roll, but adding height will also add a touch more due to the extra height, not sure the extra 1" will be that noticeable. The upper perch is certainly firmer. Depending on if you are 2wd or 4wd, going up 2" is not possible without changer other parts. If you are 2wd I would sggest swapping your springs out for 4wd ones, as they are stiffer and will also add some height

#11 ·
I'm a 2wd, and have decided to keep it vs selling and buying a 4wd.

There are a couple different things mentioned in this thread regarding raising the truck.
1) 4wd springs
2) billstein shocks

My truck (a side from needing shocks) sits low for a titan, and has a good bit of rake.

I've read about a method/parts to level, or perhaps it was bring the front and rear up a bit (they both seem low for a full size).

Would I choose one method or the other, or would I use a combination of one, two, and/or three?

I'd like to have a 'normal' height full size truck. I'm not really sure why mine is so low. I've seen others as low so it must be a factory configuration but never the less it is low.

#13 ·
Depends on how much lift you want and whether you want leveled or rake. If you want both front and rear lifted a bit and the same amount of rake then lift them equally. If you want it leveled you'll need 1.5-2" more lift on the front.

#14 ·
Seems you have two different threads going on with a similar question..

From the factory a 2WD sits lower than a 4WD but all Titan's have a LOT of rake from the get-go. The biggest difference between lifting a 2WD vs a 4WD is simply that you don't have to worry about causing damage to your CV axles (because you don't have them). So therefor a 2WD can add more lift to the front of the truck than a 4WD without supporting mods like a drop bracket for example (IE Pro-Comp, Rough Country, Fabtech, etc).

A 2WD sits a little bit lower due to the shorter springs on the front shocks. With that being said,, yes.. you can go to Autozone and buy 4WD springs and get 1-2" of lift from them alone. Obviously if you spend a little more and go with a spindle lift and some supporting mods you can have a moderate lift of high quality with a good ride. You have tons of options for lifting your 2WD truck. It just depends on how high you want to go and how much you want to spend.

Another thing that helps the feel of body roll is wider wheels/tires.

Reactions: TheeKB
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.