Nissan Titan Forum banner

What lube/grease do you for your traction bars?

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Smccarty3 
#1 ·
Getting some creaking out of the traction bars. I have the CJD racing bars, so heim on one end and bushing on the other.

Used white lithium grease on the heim, then I used a dry spray lube with teflon in it for the bushing. Only seems to keep it quiet for a few days.

I ordered some Tri Flow to try out on the heim. Any other products to give a shot?

#2 ·
does he have a grease zerk on the bushing side? if not, drill and tap a hole for a grease zerk. pump them full of any grease you like. i use john deere HD moly grease...its whats laying around the shop. You could unbolt the back, drop the bar, pull the bushings out, smear grease on the bushings, and the outside of the inner metal sleeve, and also on the outside shoulders of the rubber bushings.

you can add the zerk with them on the truck, just do it centered on the pipe. the rubber/poly bushings are two piece and don't touch each other, so theres room fill it up with grease, they also should have little sipes in them to allow grease to get on the inner sleeve.

i later added grease zerks, like i said, centered, and facing the rear of the truck to make it a bit easier to access...

i actually pulled my bars off today to put new bushings/heims/ and new grease zerks. passenger side wasn't taking grease so it was squeaking like a mofo. also my heims were shot.

#4 ·
The heims will react better to a dry lubricant or silicon spray. DONT use a wet lubricant, as it will attract dust and wear out the teflon.

As for the bushings, any grease will work, i have a tub of wheel bearing grease that we use at the shop. Nothing really specific. But like Honda said, a zerk fitting does make it easy to pump with as much grease as you can get in there.

#5 ·
Thanks for the info guys. Glad someone corrected me.

#6 ·
If you can't make your own greasable bolts, they are available online, like Amazon etc. My Heims came with a zerk, not that I ever lubed them, but will this weekend. I will remember what was said about dry lube being better and see how they react.

#8 ·
I used some Dupont Teflon Dry-Lube Spray that I found at Lowe's on my heims.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.