HELP! Sway bar kicked out and bent end link - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Suspension Technical discussion about the suspension components.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 05:53 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
HELP! Sway bar kicked out and bent end link

So here's the story. Friend of mine is getting rid of his 06 SE 4x4 that has a 6" fabtech lift on it. I agreed to buy the lift off his truck and put it on my 09 SE 4x4 so that they could get theirs pretty much back to stock. We're doing the swap in his driveway..mind you my neighbor friends are mechanics. I went ahead and purchased a set of Bilsteins front and rear, PRG extended swaybar end links, PRG driveshaft spacer, and PRG UCAs to work into the project. All has gone fairly smooth until this past weekend when we finished up the front and went to drive it to get it aligned. When we went to take a turn out of the driveway, we realized the tie rod ends were rubbing the inside of the stock 18" wheels, and then the sway bar kicked out (forward) and bent one of the PRG end links. Any idea what we did wrong? When comparing the length of the PRG end links to the ones that came with the fabtech kit..they look about the same length. I know some guys on here have had this happen and decide to remove the swaybar...I'm not really looking to do that. As for the end links hitting the wheels, is that due to the oversized spindle from the kit? Do I need to be considering larger wheels, or wheels with more offset to give the steering linkage more room? Would a wheel adapter take care of it as a temporary solution?

Here's a picture I snapped of what the sway bar looks like after it "flipped"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 06:10 AM

Thanked 4,728 Times in 3,488 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Re: HELP! Sway bar kicked out and bent end link

flip it up, and adjust the heims to make the overall length longer. then try again. with it in the right position it shouldn't rub your wheels.

2011 White CC Pro4x
All the things
DIRT KING FABRICATION, FOX, TOYO, FUEL, PRG, GIBSON, BORA, AIRAID
Now stock AF

Traded In: 06 KingCab 4x4

Don't be a dummy, use this before asking http://www.titantalk.com/forums/search.php
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 11:35 AM

Honesty I'd take it off. Sway bar removed makes for such a better feel in the front. A lot more stable on rough stuff and the body roll isn't really noticeable after 30-40 mph, imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 Titan 2wd

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 05:18 PM

Thanked 3,401 Times in 2,174 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

don't you have to flip the tie rods on the 6" lift?

2010 Titan 4x4 CC SE Majestic Blue
Uprev tuned by Seymore, JBA Evol catback, Cajun catless B pipes, Airaid MXP 4" CAI
8" Boston acoustic's sub in Tech12volts ported box w 1000 w renegade amp
Autostart remote start, bedlined OEM wheels, bumpers, and grill. Go Rhino D2 steps.
Retro fit headlights with Xenonvision H1 Hid's and super bright LED reverse lights, blue interior LED's, and white exterior LED's.
Smoke hood shield and in channel window deflectors, Custom grounding kit by FAK.
Pro4X skid plate, 20" double row Cree light bar, rear bumper flushmount Cree LED's
Leer 100R Topper, Goodyear Duratracs 275/70/18,
Dirt King UCA's, 1.5" front spacer, Bilstein 5100's/5125's, 1.5" rear block.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 09:03 PM

On my Maxtrac lift I had to flip the tierods... Not to sure about Fabtech's? I'm assuming since it does come with longer spindles you would have to?

Speaking of sway bars I'm wondering if totally removing it will make the truck feel smoother over bumps, train tracks, ect?

2008 Nissan Titan LWB
Suspension Front:~Maxtrac Spindles~PRG 1.5" Spacer~Radflo 2.0's~DirtKing UCA's~PRG Endlinks~SPC Cambolts~Moog LCA's~PRG Derlin Spacers~PROTHANE Bushing~
Suspension Rear:~PRG Deaver C-30's~4" Blocks~Bilstein 5125 Shocks~Crown Suspension Adjustable Shackles~Custom CJD Racing 60" Traction Bars~
Wheels/Tires/Brakes:~20x10-24mm Fuel Hostage~35/12.5R20 Atturo MT'z~Maxtrac Extended BrakeLines~Front/Rear CrossDrilled/Slotted Rotors~
Lighting~Blk LED Halo Projector Headlights~XenonVision 35W 6K HID Kit~FogLight 5 CREE LED~White Interior LED Kit~3157 Switchback LED Turn Signal~Amber 450LM Led 194~
Exterior~Black Tow Mirrors~Iron Cross HD Step Bars~Carbon Fiber Door Handle Covers~AeroSkin Hood Protector~Upper/Lower Custom Satin Black Mesh Grill w/ Stainless Hardware~Fuel OffRoad Grill Emblem painted Satin Black/Carbon Fiber~20% Tint~AVS In-Channel Visor~PU Front Bumper w/ Bumper Cap Mod~Textured Fender Flares~SatinBlack Rear Bumper~SD Chargers Hitch~
Audio:~Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD~7"(2) HeadRest Monitors~FocalK2Pwr 6.5" Comp Frt/Rear~Tusunami 1.2FaradCap~Thunder2300X 4ch~Thunder280 2ch~Custom Sealed Enclosure w/ Polyfill~2 12" KickerProCompR~Fully Dynamatt Doors/Floorboards~Digital LED Voltage Display Fuse Holder~Stinger Gauge Pwr/Grnd Amp Wire Distribution Block~Stinger Pro 4 Gauge Blue/Clear Power/Ground Battery Wire~4/2-Channel 4000 Series RCA Cable~Stinger 14-Gauge Audio Speaker Wire~
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSturbointeg View Post
On my Maxtrac lift I had to flip the tierods... Not to sure about Fabtech's? I'm assuming since it does come with longer spindles you would have to?

Speaking of sway bars I'm wondering if totally removing it will make the truck feel smoother over bumps, train tracks, ect?

That's it exactly what it does, because without it each side can move independently of each other so it takes out the rocking motion over angle bumps, etc

2014 Titan 2wd

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Confirmed, the tie rods have been flipped with the new spindles. The bolt hole is actually tapered so that it can only go one way..from the top down. Did a bit of digging and finding that there have been cases of stock rims with many 6" kits having this issue. Some suggest a wheel spacer to fix or a different rim. I dont really want a larger diameter rim..not my thing. What a bout a more negative offset rim?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

Also, just read that we need to swap the tie rods...passenger to driver's side, and driver's side to passenger side. Pretty sure this has not been done yet.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 12:37 PM

Negative offset will help a little.

2014 Titan 2wd

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 05:16 PM

Thanked 3,401 Times in 2,174 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSturbointeg View Post

yes it will, but you will also get body roll going around corners especially on on/off ramps. Ran mie without a sway bar for about 4 years, went back on last fall. It's coming back off this weekend, developed a clunk recently that I think is the sway bar. I will start the elimination process, might also throw my ICON's on if I get a chance.

2010 Titan 4x4 CC SE Majestic Blue
Uprev tuned by Seymore, JBA Evol catback, Cajun catless B pipes, Airaid MXP 4" CAI
8" Boston acoustic's sub in Tech12volts ported box w 1000 w renegade amp
Autostart remote start, bedlined OEM wheels, bumpers, and grill. Go Rhino D2 steps.
Retro fit headlights with Xenonvision H1 Hid's and super bright LED reverse lights, blue interior LED's, and white exterior LED's.
Smoke hood shield and in channel window deflectors, Custom grounding kit by FAK.
Pro4X skid plate, 20" double row Cree light bar, rear bumper flushmount Cree LED's
Leer 100R Topper, Goodyear Duratracs 275/70/18,
Dirt King UCA's, 1.5" front spacer, Bilstein 5100's/5125's, 1.5" rear block.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Update: we extended the end links and the sway bar quit kicking out. As for the tie rods, swapping them looks to be the fix. Thanks for all the input everyone.

2009 4x4 SE
6" Fabtech Lift
PRG UCAs
PRG Extended Swaybar End Links
PRG Driveshaft Spacer
Bilstein 5100s Front
Bilstein 5125s Rear
305/65/R18 Nitto Terra Grappler G2's on stock wheels
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishnAlaska View Post
yes it will, but you will also get body roll going around corners especially on on/off ramps. Ran mie without a sway bar for about 4 years, went back on last fall. It's coming back off this weekend, developed a clunk recently that I think is the sway bar. I will start the elimination process, might also throw my ICON's on if I get a chance.
i dont know about you but my prg endlinks come loose. top bolt on drivers side every few months and they clunk bad almost like cbc. tighten it a bit and its fine. going to use locktight next time haha

2017 Titan Pro4x Glacier White

Stubby 50 Cal
CapIt Bakflip Tonnue
Morimoto LED Fog Housings
295/60R20 (34") Toyo At2 Xtreme

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paskell View Post
i dont know about you but my prg endlinks come loose. top bolt on drivers side every few months and they clunk bad almost like cbc. tighten it a bit and its fine. going to use locktight next time haha

Put a small dot of blue Loctite on one or two of the threads then tighten her down. Let it sit for a little bit before driving then they should stay put. I wouldn't put red loctite on that area. Hope that works out for ya.

2014 Titan 2wd

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 05:33 AM

Thanked 4,728 Times in 3,488 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

nylon lock nut.

2011 White CC Pro4x
All the things
DIRT KING FABRICATION, FOX, TOYO, FUEL, PRG, GIBSON, BORA, AIRAID
Now stock AF

Traded In: 06 KingCab 4x4

Don't be a dummy, use this before asking http://www.titantalk.com/forums/search.php

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top