Loud clunking noise in front end passenger side HELP!!! - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Suspension Technical discussion about the suspension components.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Loud clunking noise in front end passenger side HELP!!!

I have a 2006 Nissan Titan SE. A few weeks back I changed and replaced brakes and rotors all the way around. Shortly after I noticed a slight clunking noise that I chalked up to being bad struts. I bought and replaced the front with quick struts thinking that would solve my problem. It didn't. Instead the clunking noise has become louder. Every little bump or pot hole I hit you can hear something clunking/banging around in the front end on the passenger side. I've climbed under there and can't seem to pin point where the noise is coming from. It's gradually become worse and now I have a slight vibration in the steering wheel as well. I can literally feel the road beneath my feet as I'm driving it through the floor boards. It has become so bad that I don't want to continue driving it until I figure out what's going on with it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If I can't get this figured out soon, off to the Nissan dealership it'll go to get diagnosed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 11:46 AM

Thanked 3,502 Times in 2,245 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Re: Loud clunking noise in front end passenger side HELP!!!

Could be LCA ball joint or bushings, UCA ball joint or bushings, sway bar end links, sway bar bushings... that is where I would start.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2010 Titan 4x4 CC SE Majestic Blue
Uprev tuned by Seymore, JBA Evol catback, Cajun catless B pipes, Airaid MXP 4" CAI
8" Boston acoustic's sub in Tech12volts ported box w 1000 w renegade amp
Autostart remote start, bedlined OEM wheels, bumpers, and grill. Go Rhino D2 steps.
Pyramid Automotive Retro fit headlights with Xenonvision H1 Hid's and super bright LED reverse lights, blue interior LED's, and white exterior LED's.
Smoke hood shield and in channel window deflectors, Custom grounding kit by FAK.
Pro4X skid plate, 20" double row Cree light bar, rear bumper flushmount Cree LED's
Leer 100R Topper, Goodyear Duratracs 275/70/18,
Dirt King UCA's, Bilstein 5100's mid setting and 1.5" spacer, 1.5" rear block w/Bilstein 5125's.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 12:47 PM

Since the brakes are the last thing done before this started, that's where I go back over my work......If you reused the hardware on the old calipers, check to see if that isn't the problem. Sometimes old hardware doesn't hold the pads well enough and noises are the result. Also, make sure the pad tabs and slider pins were well lubricated with the correct grease. Were the pads made with anti chatter backing, if not, you may need some of that in liquid form (permatex makes it) to reduce that possibility as well.

Or as Fishn said, it could be something a lot more expensive and harder to find.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nick Name For This Useful Post:
honda250xtitan (06-17-2017)
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 01:45 PM

Thanked 4,841 Times in 3,565 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Id also start with the brakes. Check the big 17?mm bolts especially. you can do that with the truck on the ground and tires still mounted.

2011 White CC Pro4x
All the things Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DIRT KING FABRICATION, FOX, TOYO, FUEL, PRG, GIBSON, BORA, AIRAID
Now stock AF

Traded In: 06 KingCab 4x4

Don't be a dummy, use this before asking
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. I ended up getting it into a shop where they checked it out for free. Lower control arms and ball joints on both sides are shot. Going to pick up parts tomorrow and change them out. Hoping that's it. I'll keep you all posted
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Update-
Got the lower control arms replaced and the noise stopped for a day or two and was right back. Went and bought sway bar links and bushings and that seems to have solved my problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top