Nissan Titan Forum banner

What 1/2 ton or mid-size PU would you buy today, if not a Titan?

What 1/2 ton, or mid size PU, if not a Titan?

17K views 51 replies 41 participants last post by  Jerry Helton 2 
#1 · (Edited)
Note: This Poll is public. Just click on a underlined vote count on the poll, and it will show the members' vote for all categories.

If there wasn't such a thing as a Nissan Titan, what would you most likely be driving? or planning to buy?
This should be based on your current opinion, not on what it was at the time you bought. For example I would have bought a F150 at the time that I bought the Titan, but today it would most likely be a Toyota Tundra.

Here is a list of half-ton and mid size pickup trucks I put together. There are only ten poll categories, so a few SUTs and trucks like the Avalanche were not included.

The half tons trucks:
1) Chevrolet Silverado 1500/GMC Sierra
2) Dodge Ram 1500
3) Ford F150
4) Toyota Tundra, (at least it's close to a full size).

The mid size trucks:
5) Chevrolet Colorado/GMC Canyon
6) Dodge Dakota
7) Ford Ranger/Mazda B-Series
8) Honda Ridgeline, (truck-like anyway).
9) Nissan Frontier
10) Toyota Tacoma

These "trucks" did not make it into the Poll since there are only ten poll categories. Some of these might be larger than 1/2 ton, or smaller than mid-size anyway. The SUTs:
Cadillac Escalade EXT
Chevrolet Avalanche
Hummer H2 SUT
Ford Explorer Sport Trac
Subaru Baja

See less See more
#2 ·
No doubt in my mind........Toyota Tundra, I almost bought one before I bought the Titan. IMHO I think they are probably a better quality truck than the Titan, but I like the Tow rating and looks of the Titan more.
If I were buying a midsize I would probably buy the new Frontier, but again I believe the quality is probably a little better on the new Tacomas.

#3 · (Edited)
Tundra here too. I don't really love the look of the Tundra, but with a new grill and some wheels and a small lift they start looking better. The TRD supercharger would be mandatory. I considered the Tacoma (would want the SC as well) before they changed the styling, now I really dislike them. I was a big Chevy fan until my last experience with them, so that moves them off the list, plus the redesigned grill looks horrible IMHO. The GMC's crew cab are better styled, but they really need to update their front suspension. The rear end of the Ford looks like a refrigerator on its side, plus it's slower than the Tundra. The only Dodge I'd consider would be a 2500.

#4 ·
I'd have a Ford without question. The Dodge power and looks would be fun, but my experience with Dodge/Plymouth cars has convinced me never to buy another. I think there are few who can say that Ford makes a poorly built truck; their track record for durability is well established. The emergence of the Titan should spell big troubles for the big 3 as soon as people see how well the Titan performs over the long haul. That durability question almost had me in a new F150, but the value, innovative engineering and power made the Titan a solid decision for me.

#5 ·
I voted for the Tundra and the reason is that the Tundra and Ram are the only 1/2 ton trucks that offer the longer 6 1/2' bed on a Crew Cab.

Also, the Tundra has the 2nd highest payload capacity on a Crew Cab 4X4 next to the Chevy/GM trucks that I wouldn't even want to look at, yet even think of owning.

Now it's true the Tundra has the lowest towing at 6500lbs but that shouldn't be a concern if your thinking of towing a travel trailer. Reason is that if you truly seat 4 or 5 people, and have ~100lbs of firewood, you wouldn't want to go over 24' Lite travel trailer which range from 4100lbs to 4400 lbs with tongue weights of 390lbs to 500lbs. Otherwise, you go over your trucks GVWR and you'll be overloaded. Yeh, you may not notice but if for some reason your heavily overloaded and in an accident, police may request an inspection of your weights. If you're overloaded, your highly liable. Just my opinion.

Now my second truck would be the Tacoma or Frontier. They both have tow weights of over 6000lbs plus have payload capacities in their Crew Cab form, which is the same as a full-size 1/2 ton.

Now if the Frontier or Tacoma are only about $1000 - $2000 less, the Tundra maybe the best truck to go with as it does have slightly more towing, plus has much more room in seating area, and cargo area in the bed.

Sometimes I wonder if I should had gone with a Tundra, but I'm happy with the Titan. The Tundra was a mature design where I get a bit frustrated with the little things that have been buggy with the Titan's newer design. One thing for sure, the Titan has more room, much, much more power, and can tow a hek of a lot more if the truck isn't filled with people and cargo.

1) Tundra CC 4X4
2) Draw: Tacoma CC 4X4 or Frontier CC 4X4

Have a good one.

#8 ·
I traded my 2000 Tundra for an 04 Titan. The 04 Titan rattled itself to death in 9000 miles. My 05 Titan, while much better, is nothing to bragg about.
I have decided not to use the Titan on the ranch, the interior will not hold up to our rough ranch roads. The motor and drive train are excellent. The windows in the front doors rattle so bad that you can't talk to your passenger.
When the new Tundras come out I will be first in line.

#9 ·
skyhammer said:
I traded my 2000 Tundra for an 04 Titan. The 04 Titan rattled itself to death in 9000 miles. My 05 Titan, while much better, is nothing to bragg about.
I have decided not to use the Titan on the ranch, the interior will not hold up to our rough ranch roads. The motor and drive train are excellent. The windows in the front doors rattle so bad that you can't talk to your passenger.
When the new Tundras come out I will be first in line.
Even though you have a 2005, this TSB might apply to your windows. But in any case, the dealer should fix the issue. Good luck with it.
http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownership/Bulletins/Nissan/2005/NTB05-017.htm

#10 ·
I cant really vote in this poll my family also has a dodge dakota and if it hadnt been for the titan and the fact the dodge was needed in indiana I would probably have one of three either a sierra, dodge ram, or the dakota

#11 ·
Swarren: The windows have been fixed 4 times. They last about 400 miles. I have decided to treat the Titan as though it was a car, which means I can't take it from the lower ranch to the upper ranch(about 10 miles). The Titan hates cattle guards. My Tundra had 50k miles on it, and it was rattle free. IMO Titans are not made as work trucks,it appears that they have an affinity for pavement, which is in short supply where I live.

#12 ·
skyhammer said:
Swarren: The windows have been fixed 4 times. They last about 400 miles. I have decided to treat the Titan as though it was a car, which means I can't take it from the lower ranch to the upper ranch(about 10 miles). The Titan hates cattle guards. My Tundra had 50k miles on it, and it was rattle free. IMO Titans are not made as work trucks,it appears that they have an affinity for pavement, which is in short supply where I live.
Wow that isn't good to hear. Maybe try a different service department. (I know you're a long way from them, but maybe a better tech can get it fixed for good). Good luck with it.

#14 · (Edited)
The_Man said:
I'd have a Ford without question.
Agreed, I had a 2000 F150 before and it was a great truck. I was going to buy a 2004 SuperCrew but the Nissan just had more power...way more power! Not to say that the Ford wouldn't have been a good truck though, it probably would have. The Dodge's backseat is useless for full size adults, I'll never own a GM product period, or a Toyota for that matter, for different reasons.

(note: the Toyota dealers are VERY crooked around here!)

#15 ·
I have two other choices as far as other service dept. are concerned. 1) Redding Cailf. 200 miles one way. 2) Santa Rosa Cailf. 175 miles one way.

#16 ·
The Tundra was my choice based only because of the smoothness of the drivetrain, and the reliability issue. I really didn't care for the interior IMO it was really dull. If Toyota wants to be a player in the 1/2 ton pick-up world
they'd better increase in the HP dept. Based on the latest sales #'s they have now passed Ford and have GM in their sights , so I don't know if they really care about being a player in the 1/2 ton pick-up world. :domohit:

#19 ·
skyhammer said:
Wow, sounds like you need to find a different service shop. I've been down some pretty rugged country roads with no rattles. Every once in a while I'll get a squeak here, or rattle there, but they often vanish as quick as they came. Overall it's the quietest vehicle I've ever owned. The Nissan 2000 SE 4X4 Xterra the 2nd quietest. ;)

Good luck on getting your rattle issues resolved.

Have a good one.

#20 ·
Ford F150 Extended Cab 4X4 FX4 offroad package, with the larger engine. I would have to pay a pretty penny, but I really like them. And they're built really well. I just wish they had the getup and go of the Titan.

If it weren't for all the re-designed Ford did, I woudl be out purchasing my 3rd Chevrolet 1500. I've owned 2 and my dad has owned two. We put over 125K miles on each one and still had no problems. I'm not a fan of their current styling, but still think Chevy/GMC also make a good p/u.

I'll never forget what my dad said when it came to trucks.

If you want a nice truck to drive everyday to work and back...get a Chevy. If you need a work truck, get a Ford.

With the Titan I get the best of both worlds!

Sorry, but there will never be any Dodge owners in this family! :domohit:

Tundra's are really nice, but jsut not big enough for me.

#21 ·
If not a Titan then I would have went with a full option Frontier. I bought a fully loaded one in 98 when they first came out and I always regretted selling that truck. The only thing is I hate the "improvements" they made in the body over the years, like the stupid looking riveted wheel wells. I always thought the first version that came out was fantastic for a truck.

I went with the Titan because it was so close in price to the Frontier that it didn't make sense to take a smaller truck with less resale value, identical gas mileage and less towing capacity.

#22 ·
it would have to be a frontier

#23 ·
At the risk of being flamed all the way to hell and back, I would have gone with a Silverado 1500. I love the new Frontys but wanted something full sized. I don't care for the look of the Tundras and wouldn't be caught dead in a Ford. The Dodge would have been a consideration. I love the looks, but the resale value is terrible here anyway. Even though the Chevy's design is dated, I still like it. I also know tons of people, including my dad, that have Chevy's and have had no problems whatsoever with them. It's all just personal opinion and perception. At least it would seem we all ended up with the best truck hands down.

#26 ·
As much as I hate to admit it, I would have bought the Tundra(full size) or Tacoma(mid size) pickups if Titan wasn't available.

Titan wins with power/brute force vs Tundra has the ride comfort, quietness, and reliability. As much as I'd like to get my hopes up for the 2007 Tundra, somehow I don't think Toyota would match the power and quickness of the Titan. We'll have to wait and see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.