Electronic Brakes Issues - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Towing & Hauling If you have specific questions about using the Titan to tow or haul stuff around, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Post Electronic Brakes Issues

Hello everyone. I am new to this website. I have a 2007 Nissan Titan SE. I am trying to install trailer brakes so I can pull a fifth wheel camper that I just bought. It's a pain and expensive to buy a fifth wheel hitch for my short bed. Anyway, I was wondering, How do I install trailer brakes if it already has the towing package? Do I need to hook it up to the relays? What are the relays for? I know these are a lot of questions, but I was just wondering if it was an easy enough task to take on myself. I went to a local trailer store and they said it was going to be around two hundred dollars to install. I say to heck with that...I am going to try and install myself so I can use the extra money I saved to go camping and buy me some beer.

I found the electric brake jumper in the glove box. There is five wires to the white and a trailer brake control only has four wires. Which wire shouldn't I use?

Last edited by jpellissier23; 02-18-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 05:31 AM

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Re: Electronic Brakes Issues

Well, first off do you have the low gears (1:3.357) ? If not, I would say stop right there. If you have the factory big tow package, the truck should have the hitch, relays, big mirrors etc.

Installing the brake controller is easy, there is a harness/plug under the left dash, next to the parking brake pedal, taped up. Many brake controllers are available that have pre-made harnesses that plug into the trucks harness.

Do a search on here for 'Prodigy' and you should get some results from people that have installed their own, takes 10-20 minutes.

- 2004 Galaxy Black KC OR 4x4 -
Towing Mods: B&W gooseneck hitch, Nissan aluminum finned diff cover, Amsoil 75w-140 synth gear lube, Tekonsha Voyager brake controller, 7-way plug where the 12v bed outlet used to be.

Adam Model 2020 3-horse gooseneck trailer
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 04:11 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 3,366 Times in 2,232 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpellissier23 View Post
Hello everyone. I am new to this website. I have a 2007 Nissan Titan SE. I am trying to install trailer brakes so I can pull a fifth wheel camper that I just bought. It's a pain and expensive to buy a fifth wheel hitch for my short bed. Anyway, I was wondering, How do I install trailer brakes if it already has the towing package? Do I need to hook it up to the relays? What are the relays for? I know these are a lot of questions, but I was just wondering if it was an easy enough task to take on myself. I went to a local trailer store and they said it was going to be around two hundred dollars to install. I say to heck with that...I am going to try and install myself so I can use the extra money I saved to go camping and buy me some beer.
If you already have the towing package, all necessary relays should already be there. You should have a trailer-brake sub harness in the glove box. That get hook up to your trailer-brake module and plug into the pigtail label "trailer-brake or e-brake" something like that. under the driver's side dash.

The other thing you need to do is somehow be able to plug your trailer's harness to the trucks harness. Either a long extension or move the trailer plug from the OEM hitch to where the 5th wheel hitch is.

2014 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Titan/Armada Part Numbers

Frequently asked fuse locations

305.5 WHP, 370.4 ft/lbs tq
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 04:21 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Put your plug connection in the bed. IIf you want to spend the money get the Pullright Supperglide 5th wheel you can make 90* turns without getting out of the truck

2012 PRO-4X-smoke-Premium utility package-Truxedo Lo Profile tonneau cover-LEDs HIDs high low and fog line of fire tail lights thanks Randy axle vent mod, grounding kit thanks Marty Borla muffer, AIRAID MXP CAI - R.I.P 2004
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 01:15 PM

You need an electric brake controller in order for your electric trailer brakes to work. They're very easy to install yourself, especially if you purchase a direct plug-in harness. I purchased my Tekonsha Primus (supposedly a slightly dumbed-down Prodigy) from Southwest Wheel and the price was very good and included 2nd day FedEx shipping and a direct plug-in harness for my truck. With the direct plug-in harness you just mount the controller mounting bracket to the truck, plug one end of the harness in under the dash, plug the other end into the back of the brake controller, and snap the brake controller into the mounting bracket. It took longer to type how to do it than it does to actually install it.

As for plugging the trailer into the truck--if it were me I would want a connector in the bed like the one below the bumper, and I would consult a trailer dealer about adding a plug to the bed. Not that you couldn't do it yourself if you're handy.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 10:52 AM

just bought a 2010 titan 4x4. It came with the tow package, and has the electric brake jumper to install. My question is, after you plug it in to the connector above the parking brake, where do you wire the other end to, or do i have to purchase another jumper...owners manual isn't to clear on this matter
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 11:35 AM

If you are referring to the wiring pigtail, that is for your brake controller. If you want to pull a trailer with electric brakes you will need to buy an electric trailer brake controller for your truck. One end of that harness plugs into the port under the dash and the other end can be spliced to the universal harness that comes with the brake controller. The other, simpler, option is to purchase a direct plug-in harness for your truck when you purchase a brake controller. That way you just plug 1 end into the port under the dash and the other end plugs into the back of the brake controller. No wire splicing necessary. I purchased mine from Brake Controller . They have a great selection, fair prices, great customer service when I needed it, and their prices include free FedEx 2nd day shipping and a direct plug-in harness for your truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan18 View Post
just bought a 2010 titan 4x4. It came with the tow package, and has the electric brake jumper to install. My question is, after you plug it in to the connector above the parking brake, where do you wire the other end to, or do i have to purchase another jumper...owners manual isn't to clear on this matter
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 01:40 PM

thanks for the help. First time I have had to do this on a titan truck, but it is also the first 4x4 i have bought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top