How to Find Electronic Brake Controller Pre-Wiring - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Towing & Hauling If you have specific questions about using the Titan to tow or haul stuff around, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 07:30 PM
RxZ

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to RxZ
How to Find Electronic Brake Controller Pre-Wiring

Well, after a few busted knuckles I finally found the pre-installed wiring for a brake controller. After searching the entire internet for a picture of this thing "before" it was wired to anything else, I came to the conclusion that I would have to do it myself, and document so that everyone else could share in the fun!

In my new experience at this, I have found what I believe the easiest way to install your wiring harness for a brake controller.

Remove plastic cover from area below steering column. Don't worry about the size of the plastic, or breaking anything. There are only two screws holding this in (outlined in red below, the one on the left is where the red ring is, you just can't see it due to the camera angle, it is below the rolled edge of the plastic). After these two screws are removed, gently pull the cover all around the edge. The clips holding it in place should release with just a little bit of pressure. After the clips release, gently pull it out. It will not come completely out due to the switches in the lower left, the wiring will hold it up. Don't worry, you don't need to remove the cover from the truck!

After removing the cover, this is what you will see:

Can you see those three flags that are attached to the wiring? One is red, one green, and one white? Let's have a close up!

What is that the white one says?

Success, I (and you) have finally found it!

Now just plug up the wiring adapter that will connect this plug to your brake controller:

And the rest is up to you! You can mount the unit wherever you want to, so long as your have enough wire to reach. If you are real industrious you can add as much wire as you want to be able to truly mount the controller wherever you want. I am not showing pictures of my final set-up for two reasons: 1) I have not finished installing the controller (I do not know where I want to put it yet ) 2) It does not matter, put it where ever!

Many people have suggested that you just lay on your back and look up under the dash and you will be able to see the wire. That may be the case for some people, and that is pretty easy to do as well. I tried off and on for two days and could never see the plug. I then decided to take the plastic off, and there it was! Could not be easier.

I hope this helps someone out there looking to start towing, and if anyone has any suggestions to make this process any easier (or pictures of their final mounting spots for ideas for others) post away. This is a thread for all newbies to towing (like myself)!

2009 Honda Civic Si Coupe

SOLD: 2009 Titan Crew Cab
Mods: Magnaflow Exhaust, K&N Drop-In, Putco LED 3rd Brake Light, 30% tint, Cool NISMO Sticker, K&N Sticker

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RxZ For This Useful Post:
12glocks (08-06-2010), Acara (05-01-2010), Anavrin351 (06-10-2012), baseballfanz (04-23-2010), dyrut (07-19-2010), lordmorgul (03-08-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 09:13 AM

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Re: How to Find Electronic Brake Controller Pre-Wiring

Glad you found it. Mine was right near the top of the left kick panel, but reading some posts it seems the location can vary .

- 2004 Galaxy Black KC OR 4x4 -
Towing Mods: B&W gooseneck hitch, Nissan aluminum finned diff cover, Amsoil 75w-140 synth gear lube, Tekonsha Voyager brake controller, 7-way plug where the 12v bed outlet used to be.

Adam Model 2020 3-horse gooseneck trailer
#3 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 08:17 AM

Thanks ...that saved a couple hours and/or few bucks
#4 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 06:13 PM
RxZ

No problem Acara! I had struggled to find it myself, so I figured I would write this up.

Mods: Magnaflow Exhaust, K&N Drop-In, Putco LED 3rd Brake Light, 30% tint, Cool NISMO Sticker, K&N Sticker

#5 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 11:00 AM

sweet now when i get my brake connector i know where to look

2008 XE CC 4X2

MODS]
8K H.I.D. low Beams, Alpine CDA-105, Kicker CVR 12'', Rockford Fosgate P500.

I love my TITAN
#6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 01:56 PM

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Yeah, mine was taped-up in a ball in behind the vent on that left-side. I had to take the bottom-panel off and do some serious "Gumby work" to get to it... this thread would have saved me some time about a year ago.

Good work for all those who haven't found it yet though.

-S

2010 Crew-Cab Pro-4X, Black
//Factory//
Utility Package | Leather Package| Technology Package | Entertainment Package

Mods:
//Performance & Towing//
Bullydog | Prodigy Brake Controller | Roadmaster Active Suspension (heavy-duty version) | ActiveTuning Grounding Kit | Banks RamAir CAI | Banks Monster Exhaust | Amsoil Signature Series 0W-30 Motor Oil | Hastings Oil-Filter | Amsoil ATF | Amsoil Severe Duty Front/Rear Diff Lube
//Exterior//
LED taillights and Halo Projector headlights| Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac | MotoMetal 961 (Black) | Ventshades | Bugflector II | Tinted Windows

#7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 10:56 AM

I have an 2004 XE and don't find this connection. only have a green marked wire harness. Did mine not come with a connection?
#8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 07:45 AM
RxZ

Melsuz, I do not think the 04 XEs came with the harness. Later years do, but not the 04s for whatever reason. It's not too hard to wire it up yourself, or if your not too sure about it, U-haul can do it for a reasonable price.

#9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 07:57 PM

THANK YOU! was wondering where the hell that went!!!

2007 CC LE 6" Fabtech Lift 20" Foose wheels 35/12.5/20 toyo open county tires, Banks exhaust
#10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 04:08 PM

I also have a 04 XE but mine is 4x4. I just got a 24' enclosed car hauler and need a controller too. I crawled under the dash and looked around and found all the colors that I need but didn't see the proper harness at first. If you remove the kick panel you can find a little panel with a few plugs on it. The plug at the top has three wires going into the back Red w/grn, Brown w/ white and solid Red. There isn't a black wire in the group but if this is the elusive brake controller harness then all you'd need to do is run a short ground wire from your brake controller harness to the ground on the steering column ground behind the plastic piece below the steering wheel. It's very obvious which one it is when you take the plastic piece off. It's the only copper ground staring you in the face.

It's getting late/dark so in the morning I'll break out the volt/ohm meter and check the connector when applying the brakes to see if the continuity changes. The red should stay hot at 12vDC, the brown should go hot when the brake is pushed and I assume the red/grn should go hot when the brake is pushed as well.

So I'll get this all checked out and report back. If it works then it will save all of us 04 XE owners a major headache. If I don't report back, send me a PM to remind me to finish this update. I'm super ADHD and will probably forget.
#11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 09:38 PM

Do all the 04's come without the harness or juste the XE model?
#12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 07:26 AM

From my research, the only ones that I've found that didn't have the harness are the 04 XE's. I just got moving this morning so I'll post up in a little bit if that harness by the kick panel is it. I'll try to grab some pictures too, but they'll be iphone pics so I don't know how well they'll turn out.
#13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 09:30 AM

Ok, So I finally got to the Brake Controller wiring and found that there is a small harness under the left kick panel that can be used for a brake controller hook up.
If you remove the left side kick panel you'll see a small side ways shelf that has 3 or 4 plugs attached to is. The plug at the top that doesn't have anything plugged into it is the one you'll need. Just look at the wires going into the back of this plug and you'll see that it's all the colors that you're wiring manual will tell you need except for the ground wire. And that one is an easy one too because there is a perfect ground just under the panel that everyone else removes to get to their harness if they have anything other than an 04' XE.
Attach your ground, go back about an inch on the plug that has all the matching wire colors, cut, route your wiring and connect your brake controller to those and your ground, reattach all the panels, mount your controller and boom, you're done!

Did mine earlier in the week and it took about 30 minutes. Did a test pull on the trailer and everything worked perfectly. Actually, the brake controller was set a little to high and I kept locking up the trailer brakes.

Hope this helps everyone that has an 04 XE.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChadMK4 For This Useful Post:
grun (10-24-2011)
#14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 08:24 PM

Thanks a bunch for this post. You just saved me a huge headache with my 04 XE. My manual and every instructional tool I found said it was under the dash near the ebrake where it is on every model but the 04 XE. I thought I was stupid when I couldn't find it. I was ready to take it to be professionally done but stumbled on this post. I found it right away and will be installing my controller tomorrow. Thanks again.
#15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 08:56 PM

Actually the 2004 Titan does have a plug, but not the standard plug. As it has been mention here earlier, the plug is located on the left hand side behind the kick plate. I think Nissan messed up when designing it, but later corrected it. Basically, I got an E-10 plug from an Infinity sedan for the junk yard and made the connections. I do not like cutting wires. I took me about 1 ½ hours to do this. I’m not good with electrical, that is why. I tested this on a 6,000 trailer and it works perfectly. See the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1. Location of plug.JPG
Views:	504
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	141209   Click image for larger version

Name:	2. Remove plug.JPG
Views:	817
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	141210   Click image for larger version

Name:	3. Plug removed.JPG
Views:	714