Nissan Titan Forum banner

Big Tow Package

29K views 46 replies 30 participants last post by  MrMcBride 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me what the Big Tow package consist of? I have a 2008.5 Titan SE Crew that didn't have the BT pack. I have installed a Class IV receiver and the BT Mirrors and all relays. I would like to know what makes the big tow package able to tow 9500 lbs compares to the 7400 lbs with out the package. Is there any difference in rear end ratio or suspension? I am in process of purchasing a 33 foot camper with a dry weight of 7200 lbs and worry about the weight when loaded, I believe my Titan can handle it, I already pull a 21' ski boat at 5000 lbs with no problems. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Different gears, I'm not sure of the exact ratios between the two but they are different b/t to non b/t. Also trans temp guage and bigger battery but those dont affect towing capacity.

#3 ·
Look for this sticker on your diff housing.

Label

#6 ·
yea thats part of the BT package

#7 ·
I'm trying to figure out the same thing. I'll have to get out and look for the sticker. I know I don't have the Trans Temp, but I do have the "Tow Mode" button on the center console. My guess is that is standard on all Titans. What does it do - raise the shift points or something?

#8 ·
Trans Temp Gage became common on all, I believe, maybe around 2007 or 08. So, it is no longer an indication of BT. Somebody will clarify/verify/dispute.

Notice that BBF stated OR (Off Road) also has the BT Gear Ratio. That is true for all years. This only applies to 4x4 Titans of course, although 2004 had an OR for on 2 WD!

#11 ·
Trans Temp Gage became common on all, I believe, maybe around 2007 or 08. So, it is no longer an indication of BT. Somebody will clarify/verify/dispute.
Starting in 08 all LE and SE have the tranny temp gauge
The XE does not.

Can you swap the 2.94 gears to the 3.36 or is it more than just the gears?
Yes you can but you will need to reflash your ECU with a compatible ROM from a Titan with 3.36 gear, if not you will lose the cruise control function.

#10 ·
Can you swap the 2.94 gears to the 3.36 or is it more than just the gears?

#15 ·
and if youre 4x4 dont forget to also replace the fronts!! :bangit:

Reactions: Bernard Shuford
#12 ·
Can anyone tell me what the Big Tow package consist of? I have a 2008.5 Titan SE Crew that didn't have the BT pack. I have installed a Class IV receiver and the BT Mirrors and all relays. I would like to know what makes the big tow package able to tow 9500 lbs compares to the 7400 lbs with out the package. Is there any difference in rear end ratio or suspension? I am in process of purchasing a 33 foot camper with a dry weight of 7200 lbs and worry about the weight when loaded, I believe my Titan can handle it, I already pull a 21' ski boat at 5000 lbs with no problems. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Only difference is the gear ratio. Suspension, brakes, transmission, everything else is the same. Like baseball said, you can switch the gears, but you loose the cruise control unless you get the ecu reflashed or just replace it.

#16 ·
i have considered swapping my gears out, i would assume my mileage will suffer afterwards. am i right? also which programmer can flash the ecu to correct it and allow cruise control to work?

#18 ·
Do non BT have the aux tranny cooler?

#21 ·
Any auto tranny of the size and capacity of ours has to have (at least in my mind!) at least one, which, as in the case of our trucks, is integrated into the radiator. The aux, which to me is a must for towing, is the add on unit in front of the radiator. I wasn't sure if non-BT came so equipped. Good to know.

#22 ·
is there any other way of finding out if the truck has big tow? my sticker fell off from what it seems. My truck came with BT Mirrors/Tow Mode/Trans temp its an 08' 4x4 CC.

#23 · (Edited)
Someone on this thread (baseballfanz) mentioned that starting in '08 the XE models didn't have the tranny-temp gauge, "not true"! My '08 Titan 2WD KC has the big-tow w/the tranny-temp gauge. It's called the preferred package that Nissan offers. :bump:

Attachments

#24 ·
Read his statement again, before you go off throwing rocks. He was referring to the fact that in the earlier models, if you had a trans temp gauge then you had big tow. However, he says now on the newer trucks that gauge is standard equipment, so having it proves nothing anymore. You have big tow, so of course you'll have the gauge regardless of your trim level.

#27 ·
Haha. I didn't even notice that, lol. He may just have a regular Titan, and is referring to tow mode button as Big Tow. If that's the case, then I was in the wrong by defending someone else here on their previous statement. In any case I'm sorry if I ruffled any one's feathers.

#31 ·
why would the cruise control care which gear ratio you have. your true speed would be different, but unless you had GPS, the cruise wouldn't know how fast you were going in relation to your true point on the ground. The numbers would be wrong, but it should still work.

#32 ·
Because the cruise reads both the transmission RPMs and the rear wheel sensors. If they don't match up, it thinks the rear wheels are slipping and shuts off.

Reactions: JayJay283
#33 ·
Hi all I am in the market to purchase a toy hauler, I own a 2006 titan stock crew cab XE 4x2, no big tow package. However I have an aftermarket hitch with a Weight-Distributing Hitch Ball Mount (Class IV), tow mirrors, prodigy 3 break control, will be purchasing transmission temp gauge and swapping the stock 2.9 gears to the 3.35 gear ratio. My question is with this change does this bring me to the larger tow weight ability? My truck is rated without the tow package 6500 and with the tow package 9500. I do not want to tow 9500 but I would like to tow realistically around 7500. Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated. If anyone is in the same boat please share your story with me..

#34 ·
Legally, it's what your VIN is rated for or the sticker in your door. Can your Titan handle 7,500 lbs. sure. I have a 4x4 with 2.94 gears, Premium Tow package, but only rated for 7,600 lbs. The exact same truck with 3.36 gears would be 9,500 lbs. and this to me is confusing, as I've seen others on here explain the 2.94 ratio has less teeth, so it's a thicker rear end and should theoretically handle more weight.

#35 ·
From what I'm gathering after the entire thread... I guess I have the BT package.

Sticker on the bed of the truck says "4x4 Off-Road", I have the BT mirrors, tow mode button, trans temp gauge. I have not seen an external trans cooler on mine (I guess I'll be adding one soon). There is no sticker on my rear axle housing but where else can I look (other than Google)?

Mine is an '07 SE.

#36 ·
Call a dealers parts dept and give them your vin..

#37 ·
Unless someone went to a lot of trouble to make that truck LOOK like a BT, you have a BT.

You (All Titans, actually) already have an external trans cooler, Maddoxsdaddy. It is between the AC condensor and the radiator. All Titans also have a trans oil warmer that runs through the radiator. Most have bypassed the warmer (in warm climates) to prevent any major disasters such as coolant getting in trans and visa versa.

Many of us have added an additional external in-line trans cooler.

Reactions: Maddoxsdaddy
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.