Need suggestions on RV's Year round living - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Towing & Hauling If you have specific questions about using the Titan to tow or haul stuff around, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Need suggestions on RV's Year round living

Hey guys,

I'm seriously considering purchasing an RV for year round living.

My parents did this for years (work related) but I'm considering it for 1-2 years to eliminate debt and save money to buy a house with cash.

Currently I'm living in an upscale apartment community but honestly I've had this odd feeling of selling everything and living in the woods. Living in the woods would be unreasonable but the RV idea honestly makes sense to me. I know some people will look at me with bug eyes but I've never been one to really worry about other's acceptance.

My truck:

I have an 08 SE King cab with BT. Currently I have 35" toyo's but those can go if necessary.

Now I don't know much about RV's other then I need enough room for myself, my fiance and our 5 pound dog.

I work for myself doing IT consulting so occasionally I'll have computer equipment that needs to be repaired so enough room for a small desk would be needed.

My questions here are going to be quite vague as there are a plethora of options to consider (from the research I've done thus far) and really just looking for any insight.

I don't plan on moving around, I'll be parking it at a campground for the 1-2 years I'll be living in it. Unless something changes it wont move.

I'm hoping someone that's done something similar can lend their experience.

So far the questions I "think" I need answered are:

1: Realistically what's the largest pull behind / 5th wheel camper I can pull?

2: Any changes needed to my truck?

3: Do they make RV's with "rooms" IE something with a door? I work from home (well RV lol) and if my fiance is watching a movie I need to be able to make business calls in peace.

4: What hidden expenses should I expect? The campground I'm looking at has a flat rate for lot, water, electric, sewer and wifi.

5: Typical prices for RV insurance?

6: How's are RV air conditioners in the summer. It's hot here and I <3 A/C.

I need my truck to get to clients but other then that not much else. Occasionally move some equipment but being computers their in the cab with me and not in the bed.

Any other thoughts or considerations are greatly appreciated. Even if you've never lived in an RV your thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated. It's a big step and not one to take lightly so I'm hoping by opening this idea up to a crowd someone might notice something I'm overlooking before it's too late.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

2008 TIMBERLINE SE 2WD BIG TOW
MAGNAFLOW DUAL IN/OUT X-PIPE MUFFLER
24" KMC Slides
Black projector headlights w/ 6k 55w HID's
2 Sundown SA10's in a tech12volt FF Ported Box
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 09:55 PM

iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Re: Need suggestions on RV's Year round living

I know of several people how have lived in their trailer for a while....each over a year...full hook-ups...

My feeling is that such a set up only really works if you have plenty of space and that means a large unit...you don't want to be cramped and for those who will say "my 26 footer is fine" probably hasn't been actually living in it for an extended time...

This means more truck....Sorry...

Titan KC SE 2wd StreetFighter...(Step away from the Titan)
PRG Performance Kit w/SAW's
including rear SAW 2.25" Piggys
Rear Bumpy-Bumps
35" General Red Letter Grabbers on Pro Comp 1028 Wana-be Bead lock wheels
3.73 Gears and TruTrac for Gription
Born 9/2004
I replaced the factory air in my tires with a Citrus scented air package...
Oh yeh....I replaced the screw that holds on the mirror with a trick black oxide one that nobody will see or care about...

2002 Honda XR650R
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by loufish View Post
I know of several people how have lived in their trailer for a while....each over a year...full hook-ups...

My feeling is that such a set up only really works if you have plenty of space and that means a large unit...you don't want to be cramped and for those who will say "my 26 footer is fine" probably hasn't been actually living in it for an extended time...

This means more truck....Sorry...
Thanks for the reply. If that's the case and seeing as I wont be moving it around I may just end up having it moved for me.

24" KMC Slides
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 12:44 PM

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

My opinion is it all depends on how much you are looking to spend. You can buy a pretty big trailer if you're just going to move it one time and put it into place. Or, like you said, have someone move it for you. There are also trailers that are more "stationary" for lack of a better word if you are absolutely going to stay in one place. They make some pretty big rigs in the ultralite division that you wouldn't have a problem towing. But again, they get pricey and you're probably better off just living in a regular trailer park. If you want the campground scenery, I'm thinking you could go with up to a 33ft rig with maybe one slide out. Especially since you would not be doing any long trips really. Maybe even bigger.

2005 LE CC 4wd - sadly she's gone
Magnaflow Catback
Best 1/4 mile time so far - 15.10 @ 88.86 (Second track appearance)

New ride - 2007 GMC Yukon SLT Black on black fully loaded and bone stock. 15.9 @89mph w/2.54 60ft.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 01:40 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 4,719 Times in 2,619 Posts
iTrader Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to beason Send a message via MSN to beason Send a message via Yahoo to beason

My father has a 36ft toy hauler, it may be to much for your truck, but should handle everything else you need. you can convert the garage section to an office, and it has a door, AC and everything. He, his GF and her daughter take it out for weekend and week long trips but he has never stayed long term in it. It has a full living area with slide out, 2 burner stove and oven, big fridge, stand up shower, "bedroom" is above the toy hauling area, and has a queen bed.

Ever growing mod list here

WhinyWhore™
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Check around on the net. The fema trailers go for cheap. You are not set up with a 1/2 ton truck to pull a 5th wheel much bigger that 20 to 24 ft. Thats not alot of room to live in. Good luck with this. we have thought about doing it also. Also check out www.rv.net .

2007 dodge 3500 5.9 auto trans dually pulling a 2010 keystone sprinter 300KBS travel trailer.
the best has yet to cum

Last edited by nascarjody; 10-14-2010 at 02:50 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 03:20 PM

You need to find the trailer you want/need (and can afford) first.
Then figure out how to get it to the park.
Don't let an undersized truck dictate what you are going to use for permanent (sort of) residence. If your truck won't pull it, any wrecker or trailer moving company can move it for you.
I have a 29' (living space) TT and it has a closed off bedroom, but I have to get in bed from the end and crawl up. No room. The bathroom is a commode, sink and corner unit, very small shower. Then I have a living room and kitchen that are basically one room.
I'm not going to say that they don't exist, but when we were looking at trailers, I don't remember seeing any in this size range that had a separate room that could be used for an office.
If you got a rear bunkhouse, you might be able to set it up as an office.
But the key is get the trailer you need and then worry about how to get it to the site.

One thing you might want to consider is the initial cost of the trailer. Unless you find a good deal on a used trailer, you will probably spend as much on a trailer as you will save in two years of no rent.
As you pointed out, you still have to pay rent for the park, insurance, etc.
And maybe the park you have located has a one price for all deal, but most long term parks near us (Houston) have a separate electric meter and you have to pay electric separate. Just be sure you are good on yours.
Also, what are you gonna do in hurricane season?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 02:19 PM

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

My wife and I lived in a 36ft travel trailer 20 or so years ago for about 2 years. It was tight and cheap and we were young so we didn't mind being on top of each other all the time. But we also were only there for sleeping. Between work and playing we didn't spend much time in the trailer.
You will have to look around to see what you like, that decision will be yours. We all have different ideas of what we want so i won't offer advice there.

What I will offer up is a thought. Stay out of the RV parks where ''most'' of the people are residents. They tend to be more run down for the same price, you look around you see the ones I am talking about. Choose a snow bird park, they usually offer the best long term rates and they are kept up. Plus you get different neighbors to keep things interesting. Now that you picked a park you need to buy the TT. Look at your total cost for living. Lot rent and power, RV loan if not paying cash, insurance on the RV and maybe storage for some of your stuff. probably in the $600-$700 range a month. Oh and you need to make sure your fiance is cool with the deal. Go rent an RV for a week and see if she can handle it and you too. You might change your mind, it isn't for everyone.

My wife have discussed this. We found several parks in North Georgia where one can live for $4000 a year lot rent +power. If we didn't have kids in school and family right here we would be gone.

Look at Wekiva Falls resort, nice place and they offer great long term rates. The new owners completely rebuilt the place and the campground is top notch. Good luck to ya!!!

2005 Titan KC SE ***Sold 9/6/14***
Big Tow
4x4 SE
Deep Water
2005 Titan CC
Big Tow
4x4 SE
Silver

New Ride
2013 Chevy Silverado LT Z71 CC short bed
5.3L LC9 engine
Heavy duty tow package/cooling
4wd
loaded to the gills
mirrors sucks (for now)

2004 Keystone 24RS

---------------------------------------------------
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 02:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to Lurchdubious

I guess I don't really see how you'd be saving all that much money. Why not just rent in a trailer park for a year or two?

VA Chancellor Emeritus
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Wow thanks for all the replies.

It's a total buyers market here in terms of TT's. I found a 2007 30ft rig with a slide out that they were asking $4500 cash for.

If I can get a deal like that on a rig that works (toy hauler would be perfect but prolly to expensive) I'll be saving a bunch of money.

My friend owns a manufacturing company here in town and has an extra office I can use for free so that issue is resolved.

I'll be scouting the area this weekend to find a nice park.

Again thanks for all the insight!

24" KMC Slides
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 04:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to Lurchdubious

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinetik View Post
Wow thanks for all the replies.

It's a total buyers market here in terms of TT's. I found a 2007 30ft rig with a slide out that they were asking $4500 cash for.

If I can get a deal like that on a rig that works (toy hauler would be perfect but prolly to expensive) I'll be saving a bunch of money.

My friend owns a manufacturing company here in town and has an extra office I can use for free so that issue is resolved.

I'll be scouting the area this weekend to find a nice park.

Again thanks for all the insight!
Wow, ok, well now it's making a lil' more sense.

VA Chancellor Emeritus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top