Travel Trailer vs 5th Wheel - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Towing & Hauling If you have specific questions about using the Titan to tow or haul stuff around, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 09:17 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Travel Trailer vs 5th Wheel

I've never towed a 5th wheel but I'm told they are supposed to tow better than a travel trailer. Any truth to that from somebody that has experience? It makes sense since the pivot point is farther forward. I had a RV salesman tell me that my truck will pull a havier 5th wheel than a pull-behind because the weight is not on the bumper, it's over the axles. Common sense tells me that it doesn't matter where the weight is concentrated at, the truck still has to be able to pull it and stop it. Is my reasoning correct and he was just trying to sell me some b.s. or is there any truth to that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 7,305 Times in 4,623 Posts
iTrader Score: 27 reviews
Re: Travel Trailer vs 5th Wheel

The salesman it full of BS! I would run from that dealership.
There are some 5th that you can pull. But you need the slider hitch and and ... Look it up there are a bunch of threads about it.

As far as the ride, with a good setup, and comparing apples to oranges. Yes a 5th rides better, but there is a little more to it and you have to be very careful how you load a 5th to keep the weight down on the pin.

What are you using the 5th/TT for? Living or Weekends away and how much will you use it? That will better tell you what you should aim for. Also what truck do you have?

AKA TrollopInTraining™ AKA chinawhore™
2005 BT CC LE
175,000 Miles 1/16/2014
423TQ & 324HP 2/2/2013

The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
#3 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobKar View Post
There are some 5th that you can pull. But you need the slider hitch and and ... Look it up there are a bunch of threads about it.

As far as the ride, with a good setup, and comparing apples to oranges. Yes a 5th rides better, but there is a little more to it and you have to be very careful how you load a 5th to keep the weight down on the pin.

What are you using the 5th/TT for? Living or Weekends away and how much will you use it? That will better tell you what you should aim for. Also what truck do you have?

Actually, his salesman is right...just not wording it correctly. Overall, no....the weight limit would be the same regardless of a TT or 5er. But the pin/tongue weights differ. We're only supposed to carry just over 900 LBs on the hitch whereas the pin weight can be as high as your payload capacity. So that's 900 LBS for the TT vs 1600 LBS for the 5th wheel...and that IS because it sits over the axle.

Redracer21, The biggest plus of the 5th wheels is no sway. There's no cantilever effect with a 5th wheel so no sway control is needed. A 5th wheels is also easier to pull because the pivot point is up in the bed so the trailer tracks better in turns. There may be other pluses but in my experience with them, which I'll admit is somewhat limited, those are the things I found good about them. I prefer our TT. Most 5ers all have the same sort of floor plan.

[
#4 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobKar View Post

That was my thought exactly. I don't think he was talking about the tongue weight because he actually said my truck will be able to pull a heavier 5th wheel than travel trailer.

Looking at toy haulers. Realistically I'll probably only use about 8-10 times a year, but hopefully more. I haven't liked the floorplans of the 5th wheel toy haulers that I can pull so it's most likely going to be a travel trailer.

I have a '08 2 wd, crew cab, long bed, with tow package (3.36 gears.)

Last edited by redracer21; 04-23-2011 at 08:34 AM.
#5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 7,305 Times in 4,623 Posts
iTrader Score: 27 reviews

Toy haulers are a different thought all together, because when you load them they get heavy. There was a guy on here with one that seemed OK. I, However would recommend against it. A TT will do you well, but watch that tongue weight. A nice set of aifbags and a good WD hitch will help.

Let me know if you want recommendations for the Bags and WD hitch .. , I know what I like, and I have used several of each.

AKA TrollopInTraining™ AKA chinawhore™
2005 BT CC LE
175,000 Miles 1/16/2014
423TQ & 324HP 2/2/2013

The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Jump to top