winch in truck bed??? help - Page 2 - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Towing & Hauling If you have specific questions about using the Titan to tow or haul stuff around, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 02:24 AM
Super Moderator
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 2,836 Times in 1,879 Posts
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Re: winch in truck bed??? help

Quote:
Originally Posted by bills1974 View Post
Why can't you get a hitch mounted winch and use your rear hitch?
I like the receiver mount concept also. That way you can put it on either end as need arises.

Warn Industries - Mounting Systems: Multi-Mount Winch Mounting System

The Following User Says Thank You to bestatchess For This Useful Post:
TEX=TTN (05-21-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 03:32 AM
Premium User

Thanked 10,071 Times in 4,860 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestatchess View Post
I like the receiver mount concept also. That way you can put it on either end as need arises.

Warn Industries - Mounting Systems: Multi-Mount Winch Mounting System
Ditto, besides why compromise bed space with mount hardware unless you are using it all the time and you also limit yourself to how you can set up to use the winch if it is sitting in the bed. Narrow trail, guy stuck in front of you and your winch is mounted in the bed? Not convenient.

StinkyFishFingerWhore™
"You fish - then you die - or you don't fish and die anyway - your choice"

"The Beach Buggy"
2008 SE 4x4 KC
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank N For This Useful Post:
TEX=TTN (05-21-2011)
#18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 04:22 AM
Premium User

Thanked 1,832 Times in 1,288 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

I think a bed mounted winch is a waste of time and money. I have a hitch mounted winch and it has been used. With a bed mounted winch I seriously doubt that you could do a 90° pull like I did a couple weeks ago to recover myself. (A snatch block wouldn't help you here) A bed mounted winch would also have problems if the vehicle you are recovering is lower down than your bed. The rope/cable would rub against the floor of your bed or the tailgate.

The cradle my winch goes in fit perfectly with my winch. I didn't have to drill any holes and it has two sets of holes to use. Mine looks a lot like the Tuff Stuff cradle found here:
Amazon.com: TUFF STUFF PORTABLE WINCH MOBILE MOUNT with QUICK CONNECTOR: Automotive Amazon.com: TUFF STUFF PORTABLE WINCH MOBILE MOUNT with QUICK CONNECTOR: Automotive

Here is a thread were I used both my front and rear winches: Titan Off-road Recovery

«Granite '07 LE Crew Cab, 4x4, Big Tow, Off-Road, Side Curtain Airbags, Sunroof»
«ClearBra, Leer 100XQ, MM SI9500 Winch, 18" Magnaflow, Berk b-pipes, Volant PowerCore, AMSoil bumper to bumper, Uprev tuned»
«SAW Coilovers and rear shocks, PRG upper control arms and shackles, Hellwig rear sway bar»
Jim aka Bionic Whore
The Following User Says Thank You to HRTKD For This Useful Post:
TEX=TTN (05-21-2011)
#19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 08:11 AM

The only good uses I can think of for a bed-mounted winch would be loading an ATV or riding mower, or pulling a boat up onto its trailer. Using it for anything else would be a PITA.

- 2004 Galaxy Black KC OR 4x4 -
Towing Mods: B&W gooseneck hitch, Nissan aluminum finned diff cover, Amsoil 75w-140 synth gear lube, Tekonsha Voyager brake controller, 7-way plug where the 12v bed outlet used to be.

Adam Model 2020 3-horse gooseneck trailer
The Following User Says Thank You to mjw357 For This Useful Post:
TEX=TTN (05-21-2011)
#20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 08:21 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to rtc1184 Send a message via Yahoo to rtc1184

first off most, and by most i mean about 98% of all your recovery winches use the same size mounting holes. secondly you would have to be level or lower then whatever you were pulling and be straight behind it. if you are higher then what ever you are pulling out it will cut the bed when the line gets tight and starts reeling in. buy a reciever hitch mount or make one. not hard at all. some 1/2 flat plate, on a 2x2 square tubing 1/2-5/8wall and a bolt instead of a reciever hitch pin.
The Following User Says Thank You to rtc1184 For This Useful Post:
TEX=TTN (05-21-2011)
#21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 10:03 AM

iTrader Score: 6 reviews

well you have all convinced me at this point, i guess now i just need to find the right winch and mount, thanks for all the input fellas.

#22 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 10:21 AM
Banned

for what you will pay to buy one you could build 5! i built my front winch mount for like 130 bucks. with grade 10 bolts. granted i have a welder and torch and some experience
#23 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 10:38 AM
Premium User

Thanked 9,720 Times in 7,536 Posts

I'm wondering how to install this wench in my truck. Gonna be tough.

2006 Galaxy KC BT SE
Mods: Click here Pics: Click here

CrayolaWhore™
MonkeyPumperWhore™

#24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 10:42 AM

lol yet i have none of that

#25 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 10:54 AM
Premium User

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtc1184 View Post
for what you will pay to buy one you could build 5! i built my front winch mount for like 130 bucks. with grade 10 bolts. granted i have a welder and torch and some experience
Not that I'm trying to piss in your pudding but I'm pretty sure that I bought my rear cradle for less than that. A front one would probably cost a lot more to buy.

One reason to buy a winch mount is that - at least in theory - it will be tested and assigned a weight/pull rating. The OEM hitch is a class IV hitch that - once again, in theory - could handle up to 10,000 lbs. But that's 10,000 lbs of trailer. I suspect you could probably get more winching out of the hitch than 10,000 lbs. But it would probably be an unsafe situation. I have 9,500 lb winches and they do fine.

Here is a link to the actual winch mount that I have. I did order it from Amazon, but it shows as currently unavailable.
Amazon.com: Removable 2" Hitch Receiver Winch Mount Portable w/ Pin: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Removable 2" Hitch Receiver Winch Mount Portable w/ Pin: Home Improvement

While you're thinking on the winch mount also think about how you're going to power the winch. I have an extra battery (the OEM Big Tow battery) that I put in the bed, secured down and hooked directly up to the winch. I got 3 pulls out of the battery and it wasn't quite dead. I intend to run 0/1 gauge wire from the engine compartment battery to the winch. This will be with quick connects. It won't be permanent. I have friends that have already been asking to use the hitch mount winch.

«Granite '07 LE Crew Cab, 4x4, Big Tow, Off-Road, Side Curtain Airbags, Sunroof»
«ClearBra, Leer 100XQ, MM SI9500 Winch, 18" Magnaflow, Berk b-pipes, Volant PowerCore, AMSoil bumper to bumper, Uprev tuned»
«SAW Coilovers and rear shocks, PRG upper control arms and shackles, Hellwig rear sway bar»
Jim aka Bionic Whore
The Following User Says Thank You to HRTKD For This Useful Post:
TEX=TTN (05-21-2011)
#26 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 11:04 AM

what would be a nice inexpensive winch?

#27 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 11:12 AM
Premium User

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas=Titan View Post
what would be a nice inexpensive winch?
An inexpensive winch is one that looks good on your truck but fails the first time you use it. I run the Mile Marker winches. I can't say they are great as neither of them has a functioning free spool. But they both have pulled everything I wanted to.

EDIT: I want to make clear my opinion on this inexpensive winch issue. Your truck is stuck, you're in the middle of nowhere, the temperature is falling below freezing, nobody is around (mistake number one!) and the light is fading. How confident are you that your winch will get you out so you can get home? If I were to buy another winch I would probably go with Warn instead of Mile Marker. A higher rated winch (say, 12,000 lbs) from an off brand doesn't mean it's going to work any better than a 9,500 lb winch from Warn.

Most winches come with steel cable. That stuff is very, very heavy. I replaced the steel cable on mine with synthetic rope which is very light stuff that has a higher pull rating than the steel cable and is actually safer due to the lower kinetic value of the rope.

One point that many people miss is that the maximum rating for the winch is achieved when the rope/cable is on the last layer of the drum. You have to pull out almost 90' of rope/cable to get to that point.

Jim aka Bionic Whore

Last edited by HRTKD; 05-21-2011 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Clarified my opinion
#28 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 11:15 AM
Banned

INEXSPENSIVE doesnt me FAIL. when i bought my mile marker, i payed 390ish for it brand new and its a 12K winch, so no hitch mount would hold mine. i have run double snatch blocks to pull a buddy out on 49's so i trippled the line pull! that is 36k lbs!!!
#29 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 11:27 AM
Premium User

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtc1184 View Post
INEXSPENSIVE doesnt me FAIL. when i bought my mile marker, i payed 390ish for it brand new and its a 12K winch, so no hitch mount would hold mine. i have run double snatch blocks to pull a buddy out on 49's so i trippled the line pull! that is 36k lbs!!!
FWIW, I don't consider Mile Marker to be an inexpensive winch. When trying to get the free spool issue resolved under warranty I had to pay to send the winch back to them. I regret buying it online. A local dealer would probably have been easier to deal with.

Jim aka Bionic Whore
#30 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 11:51 AM
Banned

i have had mine for 2 1/2 yrs now and used it multiple times on some HEAVY HEAVY pulls and it hasnt had an issue. it spools out nice by hand if it is wound up right

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top