Nissan Titan Forum banner

Help with Wiring Prodigy Brake Controller!

4K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  blackdiamond 
#1 · (Edited)
Okay guys. I am as stupid about electrical wiring as you can get. If there was an "Brake Controller for Dummies". I would buy it. I need your help.

I purchased a Prodigy brake controller for my truck and I'm trying to install it, but the colours don't match. I knew that going in, but I figured I would be able to decipher it. Well I can't. Here's what the instructions from the harness in the glove box says:

Red/Green - Vehicle Stop Lamp Switch to Trailer Brake Controller
Black - Brake Controller Ground (-)
Brown/White - Trailer Brake Controller Switched Output
Red/Blue - Trailer Brake Controller Illumination
Red - Fused Trailer Brake Controller Battery Feed (B+)

The four wires from the Prodigy say:

Black - +12 Volts
Red - Stoplight
White - Ground
Blue - Trailer Brakes

I think I have figured

Red/Green -> Red
Black -> White
Brown/White -> Blue
Red -> Black

Can someone confirm this for me please, I really would hate to wire this up incorrectly.

Thanks,

Joel

See less See more
#2 ·
Wire it just like the harness says, but forget about the Red/Blue - Trailer Brake Controller Illumination, it isn't used on the Prodigy....great controller, I have one.

#3 ·
"Red/Green" - on the harness goes to "Red - Stoplight" on the Prodogy.
"Black - Brake Controller Ground (-)" on the harness goes to "White - Ground" on the Prodogy.
"Red - Fused Trailer Brake Controller Battery Feed (B+)" on the harness goes to "Black - +12 Volts" on the Prodogy.
"Brown/White - Trailer Brake Controller Switched Output" on the harness goes to "Blue - Trailer Brakes" on the Prodogy.

You won't be using the "Red/Blue - Trailer Brake Controller Illumination" on the harness so, just cap it off using elec. tape.

#6 ·
You should have the connector tucked up under the dash above the parking brake pedal. I just installed the Prodigy this morning in mine using the Nissan pigtail, and it took about 10 minutes to do everything. I think all Titans have the connector.

#7 ·
I am also having trouble installing my Prodigy. I have the wires lined up correctly:

Nissan --------- Prodigy
Harness -------- Harness

Red ---------- Black
Red/Green ----- Red
Black ---------- White
Brown/White --- Blue

I get no power to the controller. The (Red - Black) wire should have 12V, but it has 0. The (Red/Green - Red) wire has voltage when I hit the brakes. Does anyone know which fuse would control the (Red - Black) wire? Or does anyone have another suggestion?

#10 ·
I'm afraid that I don't know what you are refering to. I have a 2005 SE CC with the Big Tow, Off-Road, and Convenience packages. This is my first aftermarket add on. Someone who drives a Chevy told me that he had the same problem. He looked under the hood and there wasn't a fuse. He said that it came from the factory that way. From reading other posts I was under the impression that this install was literaly a plug and play (yes I know that you have to set the Prodigy up for the truck/trailer combo). Another thing, I didn't have the trailer hooked up when I was installing the controller. I don't think that this should make a difference.

#12 ·
Why not buy the adapter from Teconsha and be done with it? No wiring issues at all, plug and play.
They had one for the Expedition I traded in and they have one for the Titan now. No direct wiring needed.

#14 ·
Did everyone who has the big tow get the brake controller pigtail harness mine didn't come with it??

#16 ·
Not mine but yours will now

mopar said:
Did everyone who has the big tow get the brake controller pigtail harness mine didn't come with it??
I have a very very early Titan. Mine didn't come with the harness, but after giving Nissan a hard time about it, I got one RIGHT AWAY and I understand that all BT models come with one now.

#18 ·
Salesman hooked me up and took one out of another truck on the lot(Someone else will be missing one Oh well at least they took care of me).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.