Towing mode - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Towing & Hauling If you have specific questions about using the Titan to tow or haul stuff around, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 05:04 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Towing mode

My 09 titan has a 'towing mode' but with button pushed it does not seem to take it out of over drive, my previos truck had a button on gear shift for tow mode and it would not let the converter lock up ? Should i still push button on gear shift when towing ?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 06:23 AM

Garage
Re: Towing mode

The tow mode changes shift points. Vehicles don't have an over drive anymore, it's just another gear. If you notice it shifting a lot still or transmission temp running high, then yes, you manually down shift to a lower gear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 24,223 Times in 16,229 Posts
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

Your '09 Titan's 5th gear IS an overdrive gear. That being said, the previous poster's info about watching your temp and watching for your truck hunting for a gear is accurate. If you find that the torque converter isn't locking, you're probably in need of a little lower gear. The Titan's transmission is pretty good at torque management, so if it's hunting, there's a reason for it.

Hook 'Em!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AKA TroubleWhore™AKA HitAndMissWhore™AKA RockyWhore™AKA SigPicNaziWhore™
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." - Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis
2016 Super Crew, Platinum, 4WD FX4 Bought by me on 01/05/16
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 11:27 AM

Location: WESTERN (actual) Colorado.. where the mountains are.
Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

If you're towing heavy, and on grades. Just use manual mode and keep your RPMs high (at least 2800). Your transmission will thank you. It will always hunt for a higher gear in the name of 'fuel efficiency'. Don't be afraid to keep the engine RPM between 3k and 4k. The overheating issue comes when you let it try and cruise at 1500rpm, which is where it tries to go. if you have the 2.94 gears like me, then 45mph in 2nd is about par for a heavy load and/or a good climb even in tow mode, at 45, it will try to hit 5th, or 4th if you're climbing. if you're not on flat ground, even 3rd is too high at that speed and will start your tranny temp climbing pretty fast. The only time I just use tow mode for real loads, is when i'm at 60+. Even then, keep an eye on the temp gauge.

09 CC HME SE 4X4 FFV FORMER Mountain Oilfield Workhorse, Current daily scrap metal hauler!

Till it falls apart.........
.......Or I do

September 2014 Titan Talk Titan of the Month

-----Hobbyist 12v mad scientist-----

Last edited by Lee-the-Impaler; 04-15-2017 at 11:30 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 11:49 AM
Premium User

iTrader Score: 8 reviews
The T/H button only holds the shift point for a little longer through the 1-3 gears. If it's a decent load keep the transmission locked out in 4th at the mimum & lower is need be. If a trailer was hooked up to my truck I kept it locked out in 4th.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPRO4X View Post
The T/H button only holds the shift point for a little longer through the 1-3 gears. If it's a decent load keep the transmission locked out in 4th at the mimum & lower is need be. If a trailer was hooked up to my truck I kept it locked out in 4th.
I have to agree. I'm fairly new to owning a Titan as a truck, and my first tow last weekend performed above expectation when locked in 4th. My old Ford would need a little more assistance managing the gears.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 09:25 PM

Garage

The Titan tows exceptionally well for a half ton, the trouble comes when you try to overdo it.

09 CC HME SE 4X4 FFV FORMER Mountain Oilfield Workhorse, Current daily scrap metal hauler!

.......Or I do

The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-the-Impaler For This Useful Post:
sledder (04-17-2017)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

THANKS FOR THE INFO
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 01:54 PM
Premium User

Thanked 66,710 Times in 21,646 Posts
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Put it in 4th, push the tow button, and watch your water temp (and tranny temp if you have a gauge). If the temps start to go up drop down a gear. You'll be fine.

GingerWhore™ BayWhore™
2011 Blue Steel SL, 2WD, BT, CC, Mods: Go Rhino Dominator II Nerf Bars, OEM Bug Deflector, 15% tint, Nav System Hack,
OEM Ipod Interface, Armada Front Spoiler, Leveled, Firestone Air Bags, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Bully Dog GT,
LED Interior Lights, CSF 3328 Radiator, Brake Performance Drilled & Slotted Rotors, Wagner ThermoQuiet Pads,
Grounding Kit, Rogue Key, Bilstein 5100's on All Four Corners

Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 04:40 PM

I'm not so sure if the tow button works in manual mode, because I've never tried it.
I use manual mode for all towing and hauling. Even when I'm not towing, like big hills with a 45 mph speed limit, I use it. It's all about keeping the torque converter temps under control. The higher gears cause more slippage, which generates more heat.

'07 Titan XE CC, Home made axle wrap eliminators, Frontier tranny mount, JBA headers, Cajun catted b's, JBA 40-1400, 3" Vibrant UQ. Uprev tuned by Seymore 4.
'17 Maxima SV, '03 350Z touring.
Say no to cheap beer!...And chrome!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 07:27 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUBECAKES View Post
I'm not so sure if the tow button works in manual mode, because I've never tried it.
I use manual mode for all towing and hauling. Even when I'm not towing, like big hills with a 45 mph speed limit, I use it. It's all about keeping the torque converter temps under control. The higher gears cause more slippage, which generates more heat.
Putting it in manual shift mode, totally negates tow mode. Personally, I use tow mode for freeway on-ramps when unhooked and for residential/surface street towing in town, between 10-35mph. I've found that with over 1200# on my trailer in drive, driving from one stoplight to the next, it hits third Way too fast, bogs, then hits second, and then third again. If I have tow mode on, it just shifts smooth and sequential. If my load alone gets over 3500#, then it's manual mode all the way. If I'm on hills, I use manual even under light load. As an example, today i drove 70 miles on hwy 50 with about 2900# behind me. That strip of hwy is 65mph, and known for long uphill and downhill stretches. If I go in drive, the tranny gets hot. It will downshift all the way to third just on cruise control at 60, but i'll run in the last third of the temp gauge, touching the 'red' several times. What I do is set my cruise at 60, and hit manual (4th). When I get close to a good climb, i toggle 3rd, and it takes me up with no issue. Same thing for the descents, I grab third, and I won't coast over the speed limit. RPMs don't get over 3k, but the tranny temp never even reaches the halfway point. Now the hills aren't all that steep here, just long. When running the divide on I-70, I've many times run 70MPH in 2nd on long descents and climbs, pulling up to 5200rpm. While I wouldn't advise revving that high for that long, I have done it, quite a bit, and had no engine issues. Maybe it stems from being a truck driver, but my go-to for controlling speed has always been gears first, save the brakes for emergencies.

.......Or I do

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top