What is the normal transmission operating temperature in degrees? - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Towing & Hauling If you have specific questions about using the Titan to tow or haul stuff around, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
What is the normal transmission operating temperature in degrees?

My 04 Titan I bought recently didn't have a tranny temp gauge even through it has the big tow package. I bought a Glow Shift gauge with sensor and an extra capacity tranny pan from PML. I don't know what the normal transmission operating temperature is, or should be, in degrees. Unlike the stock tranny temp gauges, my gauge shows the actual temperature of the fluid in the pan. But here is what I've seen so far. I drove 10 miles to the local Walmart at speeds up to 65 mph. I was almost at Walmart before the gauge showed any movement at all off the lowest temp mark, which is 80 degrees. I left Walmart for an auto parts store a few blocks away. By this time, the gauge was showing between 80 and 90 degrees. By the time I was headed back home, again at 65 mph, the temperature rose a bit more, and by the time I turned off the highway toward home, it had reached 120 degrees. I drove the last mile below 35 mph and about 5-10 mph into the lane to my house. When I parked, the temperature had risen to about 125 degrees and after sitting for 10 minutes it reached 130 degrees.

Is this a normal operating temperature, or is it lower than normal because of the extra 3.5 quarts of fluid and the fins on the bottom of the deeper pan for cooling? I haven't towed my 5000 lb trailer yet except to set the brake controller, so I don't know what the tranny temp will be when towing it. I'll find out in a couple of weeks when we go on a camping trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 08:36 AM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Anything under a constant °220 is good. As long as their is a little warmth to the fluid you're good. Synthetic transmission fluid doesn't really change in viscosity like motor oil.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 09:15 AM

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
What you describe is perfectly normal. The torque converter temperature will fluctuate, the pan temp will rise and fall relatively slow. Max temp on a long normal drive should hover around 160-200 with 220 being the high end of the safe range.
Don't sweat it if it runs cool, especially if you use synthetic fluid.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 12:41 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Post Re: What is the normal transmission operating temperature in degrees?

Feeling pretty good about towing 5000# enclosed trailer and seeing a top temp of 175 on the bully dog then. It is funny to see the stock gauge on my '11 stay near middle once it hits about 120 degrees on up though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top