How much can my Titan really tow? - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Towing & Hauling If you have specific questions about using the Titan to tow or haul stuff around, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
How much can my Titan really tow?

So I just bought a 2012 Titan SV 4x4 from a shady looking individual. I've been thinking of taking my Dads travel trailer off his hands. Total loaded weight of this bad boy is a hair under 8000 pounds. Only problem is I can't seem to find my gear ratio or towing capacity. 3 dealer phone calls later and 3 different answers ranging from 7000-9300 pounds has me scratching my head. So I thought I'd come on here and see if someone could help me out. Here's what I know...

2012 Titan SV 4x4
Has Trans temp gauge, but no Big Tow mirrors
Has Front tow hooks, receiver hitch, and rudimentary brake controller installed, all look to be factory OEM (but I'll admit I've always been a Chevy guy and I feel the only thing the previous owner ever hauled was his *** down to the meth store, so i don't see him installing these for any reason).

I've looked for the sticker on the rear axle and it seems to be long gone, I've tried doing 70 down the highway but I'm at 1800-1900 rpm just in between what everyone on here says is the difference between the 3.36 and 2.93

This might be a stupid question, but when my families safety is involved you can never be too careful. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 11:36 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 26,403 Times in 15,720 Posts
iTrader Score: 20 reviews
Re: How much can my Titan really tow?

70 mph at 2100 rpm in fifth year is 3.36 final drive ratio.
1800 rpm is 2.94 gears.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BaldWhore
Starfishwhore

Red meat is not bad for you.
Fuzzy green meat is bad for you.

You know you had a great night last night when you make it home the next day missing more than half your clothes.

It's not the zombies you have to watch out for. It's the stupid people.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Walrus For This Useful Post:
Chaos Ready (05-19-2017), IMADOGMAN (05-19-2017)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:03 AM

Garage

I'm guessing you don't have big tow, but Walrus covered the easy way to find out.

But, 8k lbs dry is pushing it even if you have big tow. By the time you load in gear and supplies, you will either be almost at or over limit even if you have big tow. That's a heavy TT.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:03 AM

Dealers are absolutely useless when it comes to any kind of help, unless you buy the car from them they could give two sh*ts about you. Most of the time they are stupid and have no clue to what the hell they are saying. I've had so many issues trying to get general information from dealer that i gave up on their minimum wage asses long time ago. As far as your tow capacity, you might be in the low range due to the fact that you do not have the tow mirrors it was not a package that came with the truck. Look for the tranny radiator (little one) to see. The big tow will have the tow mirrors, the temp gauge, and the inter-cooler for the tranny behind the radiator. hope that helps.

2006 Nissan Titan Crew Cab
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 05:22 AM

Here is Nissan VIN Decoder. If you scroll down it should tell you if you have the big tow package (4th from the bottom of the page is the Options installed) I put my VIN in and it was correct.

https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/Nissan

Also search the web for the 2012 Nissan Towing Guide. It's in pdf format.

https://www.nissanusa.com/content/da...wing-guide.pdf
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Golfnut Michael For This Useful Post:
Chaos Ready (05-19-2017), Nick Name (05-19-2017)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfnut Michael View Post
Here is Nissan VIN Decoder. If you scroll down it should tell you if you have the big tow package (4th from the bottom of the page is the Options installed) I put my VIN in and it was correct.

https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/Nissan

Also search the web for the 2012 Nissan Towing Guide. It's in pdf format.

https://www.nissanusa.com/content/da...wing-guide.pdf

That was very helpful!! Saw mine and happy to say I have the Big Tow Package. That's the 9400lb. Thank you Michael.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Nissan Titan Crew Cab
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:51 AM
Premium User

Thanked 4,423 Times in 2,935 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Chaos, on the flats an 8k trailer is heavy. In the mountains? Forget about it.

You'll also have to check on the tongue weight. Your Titan is rated for 940 lbs of tongue weight. Most travel trailers will have a tongue weight of about 10% of the trailers loaded weight. A toy hauler is different and will have a much higher tongue weight, especially with nothing in the garage part of the trailer.

At 8k you'll need a weight distributing hitch. It's not optional at that weight.

«Granite '07 LE Crew Cab, 4x4, Big Tow, Off-Road, Side Curtain Airbags, Sunroof»
«ClearBra, Leer 100XQ, MM SI9500 Winch, 18" Magnaflow, Berk b-pipes, Volant PowerCore, AMSoil bumper to bumper, Uprev tuned, CSF radiator, e-fans, JBA LT headers»
«SAW Coilovers and rear shocks, PRG upper control arms and shackles, Hellwig rear sway bar»
2017 Ford F-350 CCLB 6.7l Lariat - The Towing Beast
Jim aka Bionic Whore™

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

The trailer is 8000 loaded, Gear, water tanks, etc. 6500 dry. But, I used the Vin decoder, and took it for another ride on the Highway, and it's most definitely running well under 2K RPM's at 70. No way I can haul it safely. Looks like my sister wins again and gets the trailer. Looks like I'll be buying a new one since my imagination was running wild on how warm I'd be during deer season. No way I can go back to a tent and space heater now hahaha.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 03:39 PM
Premium User

Thanked 4,423 Times in 2,935 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

I hear ya on staying in a trailer for hunting. This will be my first year in my trailer at Elk camp.

«Granite '07 LE Crew Cab, 4x4, Big Tow, Off-Road, Side Curtain Airbags, Sunroof»
«ClearBra, Leer 100XQ, MM SI9500 Winch, 18" Magnaflow, Berk b-pipes, Volant PowerCore, AMSoil bumper to bumper, Uprev tuned, CSF radiator, e-fans, JBA LT headers»
«SAW Coilovers and rear shocks, PRG upper control arms and shackles, Hellwig rear sway bar»
2017 Ford F-350 CCLB 6.7l Lariat - The Towing Beast
Jim aka Bionic Whore™

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top