engine lacks power while towing - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Towing & Hauling If you have specific questions about using the Titan to tow or haul stuff around, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Question engine lacks power while towing

I have an 07 titan king cab. Was towing a 19 foot pop up camper and the engine started to surge and loss power, ended up only being able to go 55 mph at the end. Engine light came on and then it went off. any help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 12:41 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Garage
Re: engine lacks power while towing

Check for soft codes with a code reader. If the MIL or mostly called "engine" light came on then the code is still there even though you MIL light went out. This code will lead you to your issue.

Who says Grandparents are boring...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks will check it today and get back with you
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 04:54 PM

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Check your manifolds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 08:25 PM
Premium User

Thanked 4,423 Times in 2,935 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

What were your engine and transmission temperature gauges doing?

«Granite '07 LE Crew Cab, 4x4, Big Tow, Off-Road, Side Curtain Airbags, Sunroof»
«ClearBra, Leer 100XQ, MM SI9500 Winch, 18" Magnaflow, Berk b-pipes, Volant PowerCore, AMSoil bumper to bumper, Uprev tuned, CSF radiator, e-fans, JBA LT headers»
«SAW Coilovers and rear shocks, PRG upper control arms and shackles, Hellwig rear sway bar»
2017 Ford F-350 CCLB 6.7l Lariat - The Towing Beast
Jim aka Bionic Whore™

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 09:14 PM

Location: WESTERN (actual) Colorado.. where the mountains are.
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRTKD View Post
What were your engine and transmission temperature gauges doing?

^----- This. I'm no expert, but my first thought was 'how much did you cook the tranny'.

09 CC HME SE 4X4 FFV FORMER Mountain Oilfield Workhorse, Current daily scrap metal hauler!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Till it falls apart.........
.......Or I do

September 2014 Titan Talk Titan of the Month

-----Hobbyist 12v mad scientist-----
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 09:27 PM
Premium User

Thanked 4,423 Times in 2,935 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

I've run the engine and transmission temps up a bit a couple of times but never lost power. Maybe this is a fuel pump problem?

«Granite '07 LE Crew Cab, 4x4, Big Tow, Off-Road, Side Curtain Airbags, Sunroof»
«ClearBra, Leer 100XQ, MM SI9500 Winch, 18" Magnaflow, Berk b-pipes, Volant PowerCore, AMSoil bumper to bumper, Uprev tuned, CSF radiator, e-fans, JBA LT headers»
«SAW Coilovers and rear shocks, PRG upper control arms and shackles, Hellwig rear sway bar»
2017 Ford F-350 CCLB 6.7l Lariat - The Towing Beast
Jim aka Bionic Whore™

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 11:37 AM

the fuel pump was my first thought too....a suspect fuel pump won't set a code, but a misfire due to lean would and could also go away just as fast....the only way I can check a fuel pump is at the rail with a pressure gauge.

how does it run when not pulling the trailer? Can you get to speed?

here's the nerd part: A random misfire code usually means the air/fuel mixture is running lean. But the cause might be anything from a hard-to-find vacuum leak to dirty fuel injectors, crank sensor failing, low fuel pressure, a weak ignition coil, bad plug wires, or compression problems. Now....dirty injectors are something I'm always on the lookout for since the only fuel filtering in these trucks takes place at the pickup sock in the tank. The pick up sock isn't nearly as effective at filtering as a standard in line filter can is, once that sock loads up with crap, a lean fuel condition at speed or under load is highly possible. Enough time, enough bad gas, enough gunk or varnish and then next check to make.... eventually it's injector time. if you get a random misfire code that lights up and then goes away, intermittently...suspect the fuel pump first. If that is the code you pull and it becomes permanently lit up, you may have a full blown Easter egg hunt on your hands.

Now, what if you don't have a stored code.....get around back with the engine running and have someone else rev the engine to around 3000 rpm. With your hand near, but not too near the exhaust pipe, try to feel for good flow. If you can't get to 3000 rpm or you get a sputtering and it seems like the exhaust is weak, you may be dealing with clogged cat(s).

Last edited by Nick Name; 05-24-2017 at 11:48 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 08:03 AM

I agree above - check manifolds and cats. My truck feels 'under powered' right now with cracked manifolds. I had a faulty fuel pump a few years back. It never caused a problem while the truck was running, but sometimes it just wouldn't start.. Then finally one day, it decided it was never starting again. I towed it home, change fuel pump - never had an issue again. But never once while running did it run any different or with less power. If all of the sudden you lost some fuel pressure, I'd think it would buck and sputter like crazy. But I suppose there could be different types of failures the fuel pump can experience...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 07:00 AM

Wonder if the OP is ever figured this out??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top