Best, most reliable all-around travel trailer? - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Towing & Hauling If you have specific questions about using the Titan to tow or haul stuff around, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 12:20 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Best, most reliable all-around travel trailer?

I see a lot of Titan owners on the forum pulling travel trailers. I'm in the market for one myself and am thinking about one in the 26-30 ft range. What's the best-made brand out there? Which one/s should I stay away from?

Thanks for any info!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 01:49 PM

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Bhudda454
Re: Best, most reliable all-around travel trailer?

Depending on what type of use you are going to be doing will largely affect the response.

General camping and family fun, you can't beat a Fleetwood. They make 3 mid-level brands, all the same just different in name, color patterns, and stickers. Terry; Prowler; and Wilderness.

If it is a toybox you are looking for, you will be a little pinched because weight when loaded. 26foot will be about as big a toy box as you can safely tow.

SOLD2008 Crew Cab SE Long bed 4x4
2011 Kia Sorento AWD - UAV Predator
OLD HOTNESS

NEW SEXY
#3 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 02:11 PM

iTrader Score: 7 reviews

As stated before me that is a real general question. Unless you are retiring, selling the house, and traveling the country I would not go for the "best" quality. Do you have a family? Will you be camping with family? "tailgating"? What are you using it for?

Now Gone but still Love Titans-------------07 2500 HD silverado 4 door
04 SE 4x4---------------------------------LTZ Z71 4X4 with Nav
Volant G3 intake, Zoomers Exhaust---------Entertainment package
Silverstars, Kenwood Nav------------------Duramax diesel
OEM fog light kit--------------------------Allison Trans
Kenwood Nav-----------------------------365 HP 660 lbs of trq.
------------------------------------------Wolo Train horn
#4 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 08:42 AM

I'll be using it for recreational use only, short weekend trips here in the southeast. It'll be used by just my wife and I and our small dog. No toy hauler needed unless they make one for a Yamaha jet ski!

Thanks!
#5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 09:00 AM

iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Well a weekender shouldnt need the best one out there. If you are going to "RUFF" it then get a cheaper or mid grade trailer with vynal flooring to keep it clean at the camp grounds. Stay away from carpet if you know what is good for you. On the other hand if you and the wife are the clean freak prissy type go the whole nine yards and deck it out but remember you dont buy them as an investment. 40% comes off as soon as you drive a new one off the lot. Go used if possible. That way you dont take the hit. Also check the NADA for rvs to make sure your not paying to much for it. There is no KBB or Edmunds for RVs ( there should be) only NADA. Dont pay the NADA though ask for more off that and let them counter. Do the research and take your time. It is a big ticket item dont let anyone push you into a sell. Any deal that is out there will be there later no matter if they say its a 1 day only sale. If they can do it then they will do it later.

Now Gone but still Love Titans-------------07 2500 HD silverado 4 door
04 SE 4x4---------------------------------LTZ Z71 4X4 with Nav
Volant G3 intake, Zoomers Exhaust---------Entertainment package
Silverstars, Kenwood Nav------------------Duramax diesel
OEM fog light kit--------------------------Allison Trans
Kenwood Nav-----------------------------365 HP 660 lbs of trq.
------------------------------------------Wolo Train horn
#6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 10:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to dgg2002 Send a message via MSN to dgg2002

I had the exact situation you do. Me, the wife, a very small dog. Sometimes we take the African Grey, but not often.

I agree with all of the recommendations above.

I ended up with a 26' Adirondack. It was the perfect size for us and our use. I wouldn't want to live in it, but it is more than enough for weekends and the occasional cross country trip.

I based my decision on two things...

1. Floor plan - Make sure it has what you want and the space you want. Remember that the Queen beds in these things are not full length. So if you are 6' or more like me, you will probably need to replace the matress with a full queen or your feet will hang over. Make sure there is room at the foot of the bed for this. Oh yes... I would highly recommend a slide if you are going to spend anytime at all in the trailer.

2. Weight - This was secondary to floor plan for me. The Titans will pull a lot of weight. However, why pull it if you don't need to.

Good luck with your search and enjoy your TT when you get it.

2007 King Cab, SE, 2WD Radiant Silver, BT - Purchased Feb, 2007. Aries Bull Bar, Armada Air Dam, Airbox mod, Chrome Accents (here and there), Hellwig Anti Sway bar, PRG 2" leveling lift
#7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 10:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to dgg2002 Send a message via MSN to dgg2002

One more bit of advise...

Check out the camping forums on woodalls.com. Lots of friendly people and good info

2007 King Cab, SE, 2WD Radiant Silver, BT - Purchased Feb, 2007. Aries Bull Bar, Armada Air Dam, Airbox mod, Chrome Accents (here and there), Hellwig Anti Sway bar, PRG 2" leveling lift
#8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 10:57 AM

Whats the recommended weight/lenght, considering you'll have the tank loaded with H2O and gear and being pulled by a XE CC w/ 4x4?

BULLTITAN
U.S. VIRGIN ISLANDER

T&A Whore™
Banks Exhaust, chrome mirrors/handles, AEM Brute force Intake,HYPERTECH tuner, Air dam, Access bed cover, OEM tow hitch w/ "NISSAN" cap, chrome rear bumper, Vent visors, fog lights, 22"rims on 305/45's, 20% front window tint, JVC 6.5 screen DVD head unit with MB Quarts 6x9 and 6.5 components.
Coming soon:Stillen front/rear anti-roll bars.
#9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 12:33 PM

Location: In the windy Columbia Gorge, in Washington, the state

Having done it for a while, I'd recommend a couple of things for you:

1. Don't buy new for your first trailer or two. Buy used. The trailer will have depreciated to its market value, and the Titan will tow a lot of what's out there. Plus if you're not using it every month, you're not kicking yourself when you look at the thickness of the payment book. Plus, if your first choice or two don't work out to be exactly what you want, it's a lot easier to trade once or twice if you aren't looking at a big chunk of depreciation.

2. Make sure you get a guarantee from the dealer or lot and make SURE you take the trailer out while it's under guarantee. Say you get something that maybe has a water leak from a fitting inside the coach. You get it fixed for free under the warranty. (Yes, this has happened to me.)

3. Look at your needs before you go to the lot. Or go and look around a bit, but don't let them pressure you into buying. Take some time and think about how you personally will use the trailer. For instance, with us, it's important that one of us can sit on the couch and read while the other takes a nap. Couldn't do that with one of our early trailers.

4. Get the right towing gear from the start. Get a good brake controller, and spend the money to get a sway-canceling hitch setup. You can move it from trailer to trailer, and everything you get will tow much easier. Do it right at the beginning and never have to worry about it.

What did we have the best luck with in trailers? Our Skyline (Aljo) trailers were great for us. Our Fleetwood (Prowler and others) were a real PITA. Maybe they make them better now, though. Currently we have an Arctic Fox and just love the thing. It's been with us for eight years, and is solid as a rock. Great construction, really stands up to the beating we give it on back roads; and it still looks great, even after all these years.

Friendly advice:
Stay away from a used premium trailer like an Airstream that might seem to be a really, really great price. It's that way for a reason. If you're into restoration projects rather than camping, then that's something else.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Steamguy; 08-07-2007 at 12:35 PM.
#10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 07:18 PM

iTrader Score: 11 reviews

VERY tough question to answer...
Try:
http://www.rv.net/forum/

Great RV Forums!

Titan KC SE 2wd StreetFighter...(Step away from the Titan)
PRG Performance Kit w/SAW's
including rear SAW 2.25" Piggys
Rear Bumpy-Bumps
35" General Red Letter Grabbers on Pro Comp 1028 Wana-be Bead lock wheels
3.73 Gears and TruTrac for Gription
Born 9/2004
I replaced the factory air in my tires with a Citrus scented air package...
Oh yeh....I replaced the screw that holds on the mirror with a trick black oxide one that nobody will see or care about...

2002 Honda XR650R
#11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 07:32 PM

^^^^ I am a member there in the Class A division, great forum..

Fleetwood has come a long way. If it is made by Thor Industries.... RUN

OLD HOTNESS

NEW SEXY
#12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 08:49 AM

Lots of great information! I appreciate the advice and responses. I'll keep researching and probably rent a TT first, just to make sure it will fit our needs.

Thanks!
#13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 09:57 AM

We've been doing the Travel Trailer thing for over 25 years. We just purchased a new Rockwood Ultralite Signature Series 8293SS made by Forest River and we can't believe the bling for the price.

All of the above is excellent advice and we also searched for a floor plan that minimized the use of carpet. The Titan can pull these 7500 pound, 31 foot ultralights with their aluminum frame construction easily within their weight rating. A sway control system is essential to your health as the tail becomes large enough to wag the dog sometimes. Use the Internet to check prices of anything you get interested in as prices can vary 40%.

Manufacturers: Fleetwood RV, Forest River, Gulf Stream Coach, Thor Industries, Keystone RV, Hartland Manufacturing, R-Vision / Trail-Lite

Boomer

Radiant Silver 2004 Crew Cab SE, Off Road Package, Big Tow Package, Utilitrac Package, Folding Bed Cover, 2004 Armada Running Boards, and lots of fun.

Last edited by Boomer_Mikey; 08-08-2007 at 10:01 AM.
#14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 11:13 AM

"Manufacturers: Fleetwood RV, Forest River, Gulf Stream Coach, Thor Industries, Keystone RV, Hartland Manufacturing, R-Vision / Trail-Lite"

Don't forget about Jayco - They are a nice trailer

Titan CC LE 4x4 Sparkle Red Bug Guard and every option except off-road, DVD, Sunroof & Nav.
Add ons: Sliding bed extender, Leer 180 cap, BFG KO's

Just passed the 57,000km mark!

Born on 03/04

Now it is up for sale - or at least the BFGs and the Cap!

2008 Suburban 2500 LS
#15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 05:04 PM

Be sure no matter what brand of TT you end up with the get a QUALITY brake controller and an Equal-I-Zer brand weight distribution hitch. This thing is the absolute best product hands down for towing. When I sold TT and 5th Wheels I would NOT sale someone a trailer without one. They make a cheap one, but look at the horror stories of people who's TT flipped. Always sway from a "cheapy" hitch.

Best of luck, and post up when you get it.

OLD HOTNESS

NEW SEXY

Jump to top