Tekonsha Prodigy Brake controller question. - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Towing & Hauling If you have specific questions about using the Titan to tow or haul stuff around, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 08:27 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Tekonsha Prodigy Brake controller question.

Sorry if this has been beaten to death. I have a new 2006 Nissan Titan LE with tow package. If I understand it correctly, with the Tekonsha Prodigy controller and the Nissan harness that I can buy with it, all I have to do is plug the one end of the harness in to the plug under the left driver side dash, after I find it and the other in to the end of the controller, mount it and I am ready to go with no other wiring , etc.? I am also quite handy.

The guys at the RV place made it sound like it was quite complicated to install and would need to be done so professionally. When I look at things it seems pretty straightforward. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 09:00 PM

Thanked 1,265 Times in 703 Posts
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Re: Tekonsha Prodigy Brake controller question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20shadow05
Sorry if this has been beaten to death. I have a new 2006 Nissan Titan LE with tow package. If I understand it correctly, with the Tekonsha Prodigy controller and the Nissan harness that I can buy with it, all I have to do is plug the one end of the harness in to the plug under the left driver side dash, after I find it and the other in to the end of the controller, mount it and I am ready to go with no other wiring , etc.? I am also quite handy.

The guys at the RV place made it sound like it was quite complicated to install and would need to be done so professionally. When I look at things it seems pretty straightforward. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark
If it is the aftermarket pigtail that goes with the controller it is plug and play, if you are using the one that comes with the Titan from the dealership be careful of the wire colors, they do not match up with the controller. For a about ten bucks more you can just buy the one with the controller and it has the connectors on each end, no splicing in and worry there. You can also unplug the controller and take it out if you wish. Tell the boys trying to scam a buck or two to pack sand and save yourself the money and do it yourself. There are links to threads here that will show you where the connector on the Titan is, I believe it is tied up to the steering column. it shouldn't be an issue to find it.
#3 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 06:34 AM

iTrader Score: 7 reviews

Titan plug

Wiring Help

'05 4x4 SE, O/R, Big Tow, Rear Video (Kids favorite option). AMP Powersteps, SAW's all around, TC UGA's and Rear Shackles, Modified Deaver Mini Pack, Air Bags, Bedlined stock 5 spoke wheels, BFG A/T 285/65-18's, Banks Ram Air, Banks Monster Exhaust, PML Rear Diff Cover and Trans Pan.
Towing WW FS2300 Toyhauler and all the toys.

The Rhino, The Titan, Truck and Trailer

I HIGHLY recommend PRG Products, SDR Motorsports
#4 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 06:58 AM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 59,584 Times in 18,722 Posts
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sftail1990
If it is the aftermarket pigtail that goes with the controller it is plug and play, if you are using the one that comes with the Titan from the dealership be careful of the wire colors, they do not match up with the controller. For a about ten bucks more you can just buy the one with the controller and it has the connectors on each end, no splicing in and worry there. You can also unplug the controller and take it out if you wish. Tell the boys trying to scam a buck or two to pack sand and save yourself the money and do it yourself. There are links to threads here that will show you where the connector on the Titan is, I believe it is tied up to the steering column. it shouldn't be an issue to find it.
Very good advice. Do what Sftail1990 says and you will be fine. It took me about ten minutes to install the brake controller.

GingerWhore™ BayWhore™
2011 Blue Steel SL, 2WD, BT, CC, Mods: Go Rhino Dominator II Nerf Bars, OEM Bug Deflector, 15% tint, Nav System Hack,
OEM Ipod Interface, Armada Front Spoiler, Leveled, Firestone Air Bags, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Bully Dog GT,
4,300K Hid Lows, Highs, & Fogs, LED Interior Lights, CSF 3328 Radiator, Brake Performance Drilled & Slotted Rotors,
Wagner ThermoQuiet Pads, Grounding Kit, Rogue Key, Bilstein 5100's on All Four Corners

Hardships often prepare ordinary people for extraordinary destiny - C.S. Lewis
#5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20shadow05

Thanks

Mark
Mark,

Derwud has given you a great photo showing the location of the plug and if you want to do the wiring he has given you that as well. It really is an easy job. Don’t let those guys scare you into thinking it that’s complicated.

2006 LE KC 4X4 BT, Radiant Silver
Prodigy Brake Controller
Equalizer Hitch
Scan Gauge II
Firestone Air Springs
Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's
A.R.E. Z-Series Cap
#6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 10:37 AM

i installed my prodigy in an 04 XE KC... the only model to NOT come with harness... and even THEN it was still easy. i used the wiring instructions found here and the splice in connectors. hardest part was deciding on where to route my wires (i'm picky and wanted a super clean install even under the dash where no one would ever see it anyway).

with your plug and play setup... there's no reason to not do it yourself. the rv guys are just trying to scam you out of your money.
#7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 01:55 PM

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Where is everyone mounting their brake controller? On my Honda Pilot the only good place made the controller really difficult to see.

Are there mounting holes?
#8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 02:02 PM

iTrader Score: 11 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by gksmith
Where is everyone mounting their brake controller? On my Honda Pilot the only good place made the controller really difficult to see.

Are there mounting holes?
Most install it near the right knee. No holes, use 3m tape or make your own holes. I have never hit my knee on it yet.

Last edited by BuckyBadger; 11-08-2007 at 02:09 PM.
#9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 02:29 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 59,584 Times in 18,722 Posts
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyBadger
Most install it near the right knee. No holes, use 3m tape or make your own holes. I have never hit my knee on it yet.
This is exactly where I put mine.

GingerWhore™ BayWhore™
2011 Blue Steel SL, 2WD, BT, CC, Mods: Go Rhino Dominator II Nerf Bars, OEM Bug Deflector, 15% tint, Nav System Hack,
OEM Ipod Interface, Armada Front Spoiler, Leveled, Firestone Air Bags, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Bully Dog GT,
4,300K Hid Lows, Highs, & Fogs, LED Interior Lights, CSF 3328 Radiator, Brake Performance Drilled & Slotted Rotors,
Wagner ThermoQuiet Pads, Grounding Kit, Rogue Key, Bilstein 5100's on All Four Corners

Hardships often prepare ordinary people for extraordinary destiny - C.S. Lewis
#10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 03:36 PM

ditto. same location here.

i was worried about the angle at first there. the instructions say not to exceed 70 degrees at any given time. the angle in this location is roughly 50 degrees (assuming i measured the angle correctly). so i went ahead and mounted it there.

i suppose this means if you were to travel someplace (downhill) that placed the unit at 70+ degrees, you could run into problems.
#11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 10:04 AM

iTrader Score: 4 reviews

I originally mounted mine right above the parking brake, all the way left. I could see it fine, and could reach it easy with my left hand. Only problem was, it was in the way when using the parking brake. So I moved over to the right, just to the left of the diagnostic plug. I just drilled two small holes in the metal dash bracket and mounted with 2 screws, it is almost perfectly level. Not in the way of my right leg at all. I can still reach it just fine.

- 2004 Galaxy Black KC OR 4x4 -
Towing Mods: B&W gooseneck hitch, Nissan aluminum finned diff cover, Amsoil 75w-140 synth gear lube, Tekonsha Voyager brake controller, 7-way plug where the 12v bed outlet used to be.

Adam Model 2020 3-horse gooseneck trailer
#12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 04:07 PM

Any info on Tekonsha PRIMUS connections? Controller has 4 wires (+,-, stoplight, trailer connector) Factory Titan pigtail has 5 wires (brake signal, ground, Break out, ILL, Fused B+)

Not sure what to do w/ the Break out, ILL ??
#13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberry farm
Any info on Tekonsha PRIMUS connections? Controller has 4 wires (+,-, stoplight, trailer connector) Factory Titan pigtail has 5 wires (brake signal, ground, Break out, ILL, Fused B+)

Not sure what to do w/ the Break out, ILL ??
I don't mean to be an A$$hat, but you might want to re-read the posts in this thread, I posted all the wiring info you should need..

'05 4x4 SE, O/R, Big Tow, Rear Video (Kids favorite option). AMP Powersteps, SAW's all around, TC UGA's and Rear Shackles, Modified Deaver Mini Pack, Air Bags, Bedlined stock 5 spoke wheels, BFG A/T 285/65-18's, Banks Ram Air, Banks Monster Exhaust, PML Rear Diff Cover and Trans Pan.

#14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 05:00 PM

If you go to the 3rd post in this thread and click on wiring help, it should give you all the info you need.

#15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 05:03 PM

Found it, Thx! Guess I don't need the Illum. Notice you have bags, does it really help the rear sag when towing? What brand did you get?

Last edited by blackberry farm; 11-21-2007 at 05:05 PM.

Jump to top