2008 Titan vs Fifth wheel travel trailer - Page 2 - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Towing & Hauling If you have specific questions about using the Titan to tow or haul stuff around, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 03:27 PM

iTrader Score: 11 reviews
Re: 2008 Titan vs Fifth wheel travel trailer

people and gas are considered payload. also any addons take away from payload, like stepbars, bigger tires, 5er hitch etc.

Last edited by BuckyBadger; 02-09-2008 at 03:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 03:46 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I have an 04 kc . My fifth wheel is 8200 pounds emty with all its options .I mostly pull it 30 miles at atime to a local campground and 1 time a year to the beach a 150 mile trip.I have the firestone airbags and replace my tires with 10 ply Michelins.I've had the camper for 3 years and never had a problem towing it .
#18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 04:19 PM

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

I have the cougar 278rks 8000 lbs towing for camping and w/ hitch about 1500 lbs in bed. I wouldn't go any higher than this myself. I have found I don't need the bed space as the 5er has so much more storage capacity than the TT's out there.This truck pulls hard and I don't belive the other half tons out there really have much more advantage IMHO. However, I would not tow this much w/ my family in the truck w/o the mods I have done. These few additions have made this set up rock solid for this truck. One side note I have had 3 other trailers all TT and will not go back. Love the 5er. I would not go over 7000 lbs dry wieght w/ options on a half ton.

Gone but will not be forgoten! 04 CC SE Smoke 4x4 DVD OR BT. AEM Brute Force CAI, Magnaflow Muffler, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Firestone Airbags, Mag-Hytech Diff cover, Stillen front & rear sway bar. Scangauge II. Superchips Cortex Programmer. Stainless rocker panels. Pull-Rite 12k and Prodigy controller for the 2007 Cougar 278RKS. Amsoil throughout!

2011 SV FFV White 4x4

Some go fast products and a couple of sound producing enhancements.

www.tech12volts.com
#19 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 07:39 PM

thanks.
about the payload, i know the fifth hookup cuts that. but y isnt gas at a minimum built into the payload weight?
#20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 07:46 PM

ur cougar, what yr is it. i was lookin at cougars yesterday. i need a 5th thats got bunk beds and a queen bed for family. i got a kid, wife, mother who goes occasionaly and gonna be another kid in a yr or so. i have shoped 4 brands and got a few more to look at. i dont wann kill my truck but i dont plan on goin really far away. no mountains or anything. i just need room an beds. and i dont really wanna do a TT cause been tehre done that. 21 ft, and a 32 ft and pulled them wit a chevy 1/2ton. pulled ok but i hated the sway and the pain in the *** hookup sway bars and stuff.
#21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrairportjunke
ur cougar, what yr is it. i was lookin at cougars yesterday. i need a 5th thats got bunk beds and a queen bed for family. i got a kid, wife, mother who goes occasionaly and gonna be another kid in a yr or so. i have shoped 4 brands and got a few more to look at. i dont wann kill my truck but i dont plan on goin really far away. no mountains or anything. i just need room an beds. and i dont really wanna do a TT cause been tehre done that. 21 ft, and a 32 ft and pulled them wit a chevy 1/2ton. pulled ok but i hated the sway and the pain in the *** hookup sway bars and stuff.
Mine is an '07. I have had 2 different brands (keystone and Fleetwood) and my friend has a Holiday Rambler Savoy and I am very impressed w/ the quality of Keystone for the price range. Here is a link to the cougar line. http://keystone-cougar.com/ Check out the Cougar Model 2811BHS, the Cougar Model 314BHS, or the Cougar Model 301BHS. The last one I actually had and the truck towed fine. The first two are nice but kinda contradict my previous post of wieght. They are a little heavier at around 8000 Lbs dry. With airbags it won't be to much of a problem. The third is a TT. Also for weight check out this one Prowler 310DBHS here are the specs: GVWR (lbs)1 8,000
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) 1,375
Gross Dry Weight (lbs) 6,625
Hitch Dry Weight (lbs) 964

DIMENSIONS AND CAPACITIES
Length (Feet and Inches) 34' 4"
Height (Feet and Inches) 10' 4"
Fresh Water Holding Tank (gal) 40
Grey Water Holding Tank (gal) 40
Second Grey Water Holding Tank (gal) N/A
Black Water Holding Tank (gal) 30
Propane Capacity (lbs.) 60
Tire Size 15"
I have looked at the new Fleetwoods and they have done great upgrades such as Trail air suspension and fantastic fans w/ LCD tv's as standard options now. Worth a look. There website is www.fleetwoodrv.com Hope this helps.

Gone but will not be forgoten! 04 CC SE Smoke 4x4 DVD OR BT. AEM Brute Force CAI, Magnaflow Muffler, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Firestone Airbags, Mag-Hytech Diff cover, Stillen front & rear sway bar. Scangauge II. Superchips Cortex Programmer. Stainless rocker panels. Pull-Rite 12k and Prodigy controller for the 2007 Cougar 278RKS. Amsoil throughout!

2011 SV FFV White 4x4

www.tech12volts.com
#22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 10:21 AM

hey thanks. that gives me some better idea at what some of yall pull and what kinda weights yall are doin. thanks.
#23 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 10:07 PM

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

I thought pulling a 5er with a Titan required a $3000 sliding hitch because of the short bed. Are you guys using the slider?

04 4X4 LE Crew Cab, Purchased Used 3-06, Sold 3-09
Gone, but not forgotten!

Without Trucks, America Stops
If you got it, a truck brought it.

"Don't waste your breath to save your face, When you have done your best,
And even more is asked of you, Fate will decide the rest" --The Grateful Dead

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch with the world made of love and luck,
I've got a big suspicion about ammunition, I never forget to duck" --Jimmy Buffett
#24 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 11:12 PM

There are many things working against a Titan (or ANY 1/2 ton) towing a 5th wheel.

1) Payload, and it has been mentioned. Real-world payload of Titans are ~1,300 lbs once you factor in a few people and a full tank of gas. Keep in mind, an LE will have a slightly lower payload rating than an XE. Nissan only lists "maximum" payloads on its website. The way to find your real payload is to weigh your truck and subtract that # from the GVWR.

2) Axles: Titans (and all 1/2 tons I know of) have semi floating axles. That means they support the weight of the truck, and transfer power to the wheels. 3/4 ton and 1-ton trucks have full floating axles. They are stronger and better.......but heavy. But those heavy duty axles allow for much higher payloads.

3) Suspension tuning. Titan is "soft" (in the sense of carrying 2k lbs over the rear axle), just like the other 1/2 tons.

Basically, I have seen some older 25' 5th wheels that I'm sure would work with a well set-up Titan. But modern 5th wheels tend to get big and heavy quickly! I am not knocking the posters in this thread....but those guys did a lot of work to make their set-ups work for them. I'd say, and maybe they would too if you asked them........it's probably easier and safer to just buy a 3/4 ton truck for towing a new 5th wheel.

2006 Titan CC LE Off-Road, 1993 Toyota Camry LE 195k miles, sold: 2006 Nissan Armada LE 4x4
#25 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 05:27 AM

This is why I like Titan talk. People are realists about the Titan capabilities (or any ½ ton truck).

Post the same question on the Tundra board, change “titan” to tundra and go add 500 pounds. I best most will say no problem the tundra is invincible lol.
#26 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurohazard
There are many things working against a Titan (or ANY 1/2 ton) towing a 5th wheel.

1) Payload, and it has been mentioned. Real-world payload of Titans are ~1,300 lbs once you factor in a few people and a full tank of gas. Keep in mind, an LE will have a slightly lower payload rating than an XE. Nissan only lists "maximum" payloads on its website. The way to find your real payload is to weigh your truck and subtract that # from the GVWR.

2) Axles: Titans (and all 1/2 tons I know of) have semi floating axles. That means they support the weight of the truck, and transfer power to the wheels. 3/4 ton and 1-ton trucks have full floating axles. They are stronger and better.......but heavy. But those heavy duty axles allow for much higher payloads.

3) Suspension tuning. Titan is "soft" (in the sense of carrying 2k lbs over the rear axle), just like the other 1/2 tons.

Basically, I have seen some older 25' 5th wheels that I'm sure would work with a well set-up Titan. But modern 5th wheels tend to get big and heavy quickly! I am not knocking the posters in this thread....but those guys did a lot of work to make their set-ups work for them. I'd say, and maybe they would too if you asked them........it's probably easier and safer to just buy a 3/4 ton truck for towing a new 5th wheel.
If you look at construction of new trailers they are are actually lighter. They are now all aluminum frame and even the framing of the furniture inside is aluminum. As I stated I have a 28' 5er that is 8000# loaded. I don't know of any older trailers of the same size in this weight range. Yes I did do a lot of work to get this set up correct, but so did my friend w/ a cummins for his set up. I have maybe $1500 in upgrades he has $4000 in upgrades. Plus my truck was much cheaper initially. I am not trying to inpune your point of view just offering another one. I like the ability to park inside my garage yet still tow a nice trailer. Yes I cannot go 80 up hills like my friend but that is not safe. However, I can still do 55-60 mph up a 4-5% grade w/o temp increases and to me this is impresive for a half-ton. I think and hope most out there understand the limitations of a half-ton but I have also seen very unsafe set ups w/ 3/4 and 1-ton truck because they don't know their limitations. Just my .02.

2011 SV FFV White 4x4

www.tech12volts.com
#27 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 09:22 AM
Banned

Hey nissanloyalist can you post a bigger picture of your truck and trailer cause i cant really see it in that tiny little pic. Im impressed with it but would like to see it better. Thanks.
#28 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll Crap
Hey nissanloyalist can you post a bigger picture of your truck and trailer cause i cant really see it in that tiny little pic. Im impressed with it but would like to see it better. Thanks.
Thank you. Here are a couple.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5er pics 007.jpg
Views:	4315
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	56167   Click image for larger version

Name:	5er pics 011.jpg
Views:	891
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	56168  

2011 SV FFV White 4x4

www.tech12volts.com
#29 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 03:44 PM
Banned

So what all did you do so you can tow that mamath. Ive been talking to my wife about buying a fifth wheel since Ive seen your setup. But I thick I would want a 25 footer
#30 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll Crap
So what all did you do so you can tow that mamath. Ive been talking to my wife about buying a fifth wheel since Ive seen your setup. But I thick I would want a 25 footer
The biggest add-on were my airbags. I got them at the suspension connection w/ the on board air compressor. As far as sway the stillen front and rear sway bars are wonderful even went not towing. The air intake and exhaust were just for a little pep. This set up I don't believe can be done w/o the airbags. Airbags and swaybars at a min w/ 91+ octane and you will be good to go.

2011 SV FFV White 4x4

www.tech12volts.com

Jump to top