Installed Prodigy Today - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Towing & Hauling If you have specific questions about using the Titan to tow or haul stuff around, post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 05:42 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Installed Prodigy Today

I got around to installing my Prodigy on the Titan this afternoon. Took all of 15 min after I decided where to put it. I got the Nissan/Prodigy harness from Tekonsha which made it an easy installation. Surprisingly, I didn't have any problems finding the wiring plug underneath the dash.

2008 Titan SE, Crew Cab, 4x4, Long Bed
Popular Pkg w/ Captains Chairs
Utility Bed Pkg, Big Tow
Smoke/Charcoal
Roadmaster Active Suspension, Westin Sure-Grip Aluminum Running Boards, Leer 100R Cap, Lund Bug Shield, Michelin LTX M/S-2 LT275/65-18E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 07:11 AM

Re: Installed Prodigy Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exocet
I got around to installing my Prodigy on the Titan this afternoon. Took all of 15 min after I decided where to put it. I got the Nissan/Prodigy harness from Tekonsha which made it an easy installation. Surprisingly, I didn't have any problems finding the wiring plug underneath the dash.
Not sure what you're towing but I returned the Prodigy for Tekonshas Voyager model. The Voyager allows you more adjustment where the Prodigy doesn't because it's supposed to "do it all" automatically.

[
#3 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 09:07 AM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 58,913 Times in 18,437 Posts
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

I've been very happy with my Prodigy.

GingerWhore™ BayWhore™
2011 Blue Steel SL, 2WD, BT, CC, Mods: Go Rhino Dominator II Nerf Bars, OEM Bug Deflector, 15% tint, Nav System Hack,
OEM Ipod Interface, Armada Front Spoiler, Leveled, Firestone Air Bags, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Bully Dog GT,
4,300K Hid Lows, Highs, & Fogs, LED Interior Lights, CSF 3328 Radiator, Brake Performance Drilled & Slotted Rotors,
Wagner ThermoQuiet Pads, Grounding Kit, Rogue Key, Bilstein 5100's on All Four Corners

I love the nights I can't remember with friends I can't forget
#4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 10:33 AM

Anybody else out there with opinios on the prodigy. I am purchasing a Fleetwood Mallard 26' w/superslide. I want to get the best equipment out there as between the trailer and my bike, I am going to be near all weight limits. I only want to haveto buy stuff once if you know what I mean.

2004 Titan 4X2 SE w/o BT Deep Water POP Pkg
20" Halo Wheels w/305/50R20 8ply A/T Tires, K&N CAI, Flowmaster True Dual 3" Exhaust, Front End Leveling Kit, Class IV Hitch, Chrome Bug Shield, In Channel Ventvisors, Tinted Windows, ARE Tonneau Cover, Chrome Taillight Covers, Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover, Slash Guards, Bedliner w/ Bed Extender, PML Diff Cover, and Ride Rite Air Bags w/Level Commnd II Air Compressor, Prodigy Brake Controller, and Equal-I-Zer Hitch

SEMPER FI

#5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 05:38 PM

I've had my Prodigy for 6 years, towing everything from a PU to a 25ft TT. I've always been happy with its performance.

Utility Bed Pkg, Big Tow
Smoke/Charcoal
Roadmaster Active Suspension, Westin Sure-Grip Aluminum Running Boards, Leer 100R Cap, Lund Bug Shield, Michelin LTX M/S-2 LT275/65-18E
#6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGattorr
Anybody else out there with opinios on the prodigy. I am purchasing a Fleetwood Mallard 26' w/superslide. I want to get the best equipment out there as between the trailer and my bike, I am going to be near all weight limits. I only want to haveto buy stuff once if you know what I mean.
I will admit that I seem to be in the minority here when talking bad about the Prodigy. I haven't come across anyone else who doesn't like it. It will do what it's supposed to...which is stop your trailer safely. But, to me, it's a beginners controller. It does what you want, but doesn't allow you to fine tune things like other controllers.

[
#7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 07:06 PM

What kind of fine tuning and which one do you prefer? I read a recent article praising the new Hensley controller, but the price is sky high.

How does your 08 tow versus the 04? Thanks.

Last edited by Mrhavasu; 04-07-2008 at 07:09 PM.
#8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrhavasu
What kind of fine tuning and which one do you prefer? I read a recent article praising the new Hensley controller, but the price is sky high.

How does your 08 tow versus the 04? Thanks.
I have the Voyager....also by Tekonsha who makes the Prodigy. The reason I prefer it is because, unlike the Prodigy, the Voyager allows you to adjust the initial braking through the level knob which sets the inersia. The Prodigy works...and does everything well....but is self leveling so small adjustments aren't possible......you just get (if I remember correctly) 3 settings for such adjustments. Again, it's a great controller and most wouldn;t live without it. But for me, I prefer the ability to fully control my trailer.
I only got my new 08 at Christmas so haven't towed except to move it from the trailer dealer to my house....about 2 miles so I can't really say. But I'm sure the extra wheelbase (I have the LWB) should help since our TT is rather long.

[
#9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 08:23 PM

I too just traded my 04 for a 08.5 LWB. I tows out-standing! Im pulling a Keystone/Springdale 26' with a lageslide out. Im not for sure on the weight but Im guessing around the 7500 mark. I took the Prodigy from my 04 and installed it into my 08. It was very easy and no set up was needed. I like my prodigy. Ive towed with it over 10k miles up and down hills, full on traffic and the open hwy. I am a little bias due to this is the only controler that Ive ever used. I didnt see any need to change.

First an 04'

Now a new 2008.5!! I love these things!
#10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkusp45
I too just traded my 04 for a 08.5 LWB. I tows out-standing! Im pulling a Keystone/Springdale 26' with a lageslide out. Im not for sure on the weight but Im guessing around the 7500 mark. I took the Prodigy from my 04 and installed it into my 08. It was very easy and no set up was needed. I like my prodigy. Ive towed with it over 10k miles up and down hills, full on traffic and the open hwy. I am a little bias due to this is the only controler that Ive ever used. I didnt see any need to change.
Then, by all means, stick to what works.

[
#11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 02:06 PM

I think I am going to go with the Prodigy. I have the 04 SE so the harness is already there, but I think I read in one of the threads that along with that I need an adapter??? I have read so many threads today I can't find the one I am thinking of. I just want to say also that this has been a great site and have gotten so much USEFULL info, Thanks to all of you who contribute!!

20" Halo Wheels w/305/50R20 8ply A/T Tires, K&N CAI, Flowmaster True Dual 3" Exhaust, Front End Leveling Kit, Class IV Hitch, Chrome Bug Shield, In Channel Ventvisors, Tinted Windows, ARE Tonneau Cover, Chrome Taillight Covers, Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover, Slash Guards, Bedliner w/ Bed Extender, PML Diff Cover, and Ride Rite Air Bags w/Level Commnd II Air Compressor, Prodigy Brake Controller, and Equal-I-Zer Hitch

SEMPER FI

#12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 02:09 PM

Who has the Prodigy for the best price?

SEMPER FI

Last edited by GGattorr; 04-08-2008 at 02:27 PM.
#13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 02:25 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 58,913 Times in 18,437 Posts
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

Quote:
just sending another post to see why my signature didn't show. think my pics were too big
Your signature only shows up on your first post in a thread.

GingerWhore™ BayWhore™
2011 Blue Steel SL, 2WD, BT, CC, Mods: Go Rhino Dominator II Nerf Bars, OEM Bug Deflector, 15% tint, Nav System Hack,
OEM Ipod Interface, Armada Front Spoiler, Leveled, Firestone Air Bags, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Bully Dog GT,
4,300K Hid Lows, Highs, & Fogs, LED Interior Lights, CSF 3328 Radiator, Brake Performance Drilled & Slotted Rotors,
Wagner ThermoQuiet Pads, Grounding Kit, Rogue Key, Bilstein 5100's on All Four Corners

I love the nights I can't remember with friends I can't forget
#14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 02:30 PM

Thanks Quartz, I am new to this and learning as I go

SEMPER FI

#15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Who has the Prodigy for the best price?
RV Wholesalers. Usually around $100.www.rvwholesalers.com

Utility Bed Pkg, Big Tow
Smoke/Charcoal

Jump to top