Nissan Titan Forum banner

trailer brakes

97K views 124 replies 60 participants last post by  HRTKD 
#1 ·
NEW to the forum....it great seeing many people as crazy about their TITAN as I am....

Bought my awesome TITAN to do some dirt bike/ cargo trailer towing and just found one more reason why they built this truck right....I found a wiring harness in my glovebox so that I can hook up a trailer brake controller on my own with ease...UNBELIEVABLE attn to detail. By the way Lo-Jack being installed as I type this

#2 ·
kurtdb1 said:
NEW to the forum....it great seeing many people as crazy about their TITAN as I am....

Bought my awesome TITAN to do some dirt bike/ cargo trailer towing and just found one more reason why they built this truck right....I found a wiring harness in my glovebox so that I can hook up a trailer brake controller on my own with ease...UNBELIEVABLE attn to detail. By the way Lo-Jack being installed as I type this
If you have any questions about the brake controller hook-up, just ask. You can also do a search on this site for threads about them as well.

#122 ·
I have questions about the oem trailer break controler install can anyone help???
I don't know how to start a new thread either. lol.

SO i was just delivered a new oem controler, now to install it...wow. I found the plug, easy but getting either the dash panel off or the center console out is another story.

Can anyone help me out on that one? 21Titain

#4 ·
karlconnell said:
Yep, Darryl is the man to help you with any advice in terms of hooking up a brake controller to your truck.

Karl
Thanks Karl.

#6 ·
Derwud said:
If you have any questions about the brake controller hook-up, just ask. You can also do a search on this site for threads about them as well.
I did notice however, the brake controller wires dont match ex: black is 12 v power on controller and white is ground (red is 12V on truck harness and black is ground i think)...its too bad there isn't some sort of industry standard on this...it would make life a lot easier to match color to color....

by the way, i was told by the RV store to not hook up the "illu" wire.

#7 ·
kurtdb1 said:
by the way, i was told by the RV store to not hook up the "illu" wire.
What controller did you buy? The "Illum" wire is only if your controller has seperate illumination.

#8 ·
Derwud said:
What controller did you buy? The "Illum" wire is only if your controller has seperate illumination.
PRODIGY...supposedly the GOOD ONE

#10 ·
Derwud said:
Derwud

Looks like you are the resident expert on a lot of items, brake controller installation being one of them! Great to have this kind of expertise available to us!
I got the Prodigy brake control and noticed that the harness supplied by Nissan had different coloured wires - how do they match up? Is there a wiring diagram somewhere that we can use to match up the proper wires so we will not damage the controller?

Campsmoke :cheers:

#11 ·
Red/Grey = Brake Signal
Black = Ground
Brown/White = Brake Out
Red/Blue = Illumanation (Not Needed)
Red = 12 volt fused

That is the Nissan harness. now look at the prodigy harness and match them up.

This info should also be in your owners manual. If you need the direct color to color match, let me know. I'll walk out to the Truck and get it.

Did you get Big Tow or as I call iy Little Tow?

#12 ·
Derwud said:
Red/Grey = Brake Signal
Black = Ground
Brown/White = Brake Out
Red = 12 volt fused

That is the Nissan harness. now look at the prodigy harness and match them up.

This info should also be in your owners manual. If you need the direct color to color match, let me know. I'll walk out to the Truck and get it.

Did you get Big Tow or as I call iy Little Tow?
Hi Derwud

Thanks for the info! I got the Big Tow pkg, looking at the harness for my Controller now and see only four wires - Black - Red - White - Blue. You list five wires for the Nissan harness. If it is not too much trouble I would appreciate the color to color match up. Thanks a lot! And oh yeh, I do not have my owners manual yet as I don't pick up the truck until Monday. Thanks again for your help!

#13 ·
Red/Grey = Brake Signal
Black = Ground
Brown/White = Brake Out
Red = 12 volt fused

Although the Nissan harness has 5 wires, you will only use 4 of them.

You did get the Prodigy, right?

#14 ·
Thanks Derwud

Yes I did get the Prodigy BC - will check owners manual when I get my truck next Monday. Got out the "Generic Wiring Diagram" for the Prodigy, matched the Nissan harness to the Prodigy harness and marked the Nissan wiring right on the diagram.

2004 Smoke LE King Cab - Big Tow - Heated CaptainsChairs - Graphire/Titanium Leather - Gated Shifter - 4x4 - Aux side and curtain air-bags - Utilitrac - Fog lamps - Daytime running lights - Roc. Fos. 350 watt system - floor mats - splash guards - lighted tailgate - driver side storage cmpt. - heated extendable outside mirrors- 710 CCA battery.

#15 ·
Hopefully you can read this.

This is only for reference purposes, please check your system first.

Attachments

Reactions: SJYokel
#78 ·
Thank you thank you thank you! I searched all of the place for this yesterday before I finally found it here. I have the word document saved in case I need it in the future. I was worried about it not shutting off, but found that it will stay on up to 30 minutes after turning the truck off. I bought the P3 controller. Love it, but hated putting holes in my new truck. I've decided, since it comes in a nice case, that I'll be taking it down when not using it. Just wanted to say thank you for posting the Word Document. :hi:

#17 ·
Derwud said:
Hopefully you can read this.

This is only for reference purposes, please check your system first.
Hey Derwud

Thank you for this! Exactly as I finally figured out with your help! Now I am looking for the payload limit on the LE King Cab 4x4. My dealer says it is the same as the Toyota Tundra which on my 2000 model was 1,902 lbs. But the brochure I have from the dealer states 1,233 lbs! I find that hard to believe!
Did a new thread to see if maybe someone has the real facts! thanks again for your expertise! :

#18 ·
campsmoke said:
Hey Derwud

Thank you for this! Exactly as I finally figured out with your help! Now I am looking for the payload limit on the LE King Cab 4x4. My dealer says it is the same as the Toyota Tundra which on my 2000 model was 1,902 lbs. But the brochure I have from the dealer states 1,233 lbs! I find that hard to believe!
Did a new thread to see if maybe someone has the real facts! thanks again for your expertise! :

Here is a chart of the payload capacity of the KC in Canada. Your dealer was correct. The difference is each added option has weight and lowers the capacity. Sorry.

Payload – kg (lb)
XE 731 (1611)
SE 708 (1560)
SE 4x4 648 (1429)
SE 4x2 w/V 671 (1479)
SE 4x4 w/V 611 (1348)
LE 559 (1233)
:huh:

#20 ·
campsmoke said:
Now I am looking for the payload limit on the LE King Cab 4x4. My dealer says it is the same as the Toyota Tundra which on my 2000 model was 1,902 lbs. But the brochure I have from the dealer states 1,233 lbs! I find that hard to believe!
Did a new thread to see if maybe someone has the real facts! thanks again for your expertise!

Here is a link to the Titan Manual Campsmoke (page 9-20). I would put a set of LT-load range E's on the Titan for your application since you will be technically over the limit with pin wieght, passengers, etc.

Karl

#21 ·
campsmoke said:
Hey keanne

Yes you are looking at the same brochure as I am! Yet the dealer says different, says the payload is between 1800 - 1900 lbs. I will not finalize my deal until I am certain of the facts.
I wouldn't go by the brochure or what the dealer says (the latter being more unrealiable than the former). Go by your manual or the certified tire label on your truck.

Karl

#22 ·
karlconnell said:
Here is a link to the Titan Manual Campsmoke (page 9-20). I would put a set of LT-load range E's on the Titan for your application since you will be technically over the limit with pin wieght, passengers, etc.

Karl
Hi karle

What effect would putting a set of LT-Load range E's have on the payload capacity of the King Cab LE 4x4? Does this application increase the payload capacity? My 2000 Tundra had no problem with my current payload! Surely the Titan could Handle it! But I do not want to make a mistake at this point! I notice that the 2004- F150 has a payload capacity of 2,690 lbs. What up with that?

Thanks for your help!

#23 ·
-> Engine: 5.4L 3V EFI V8 will replace 4.6L EFI V8
-> XL 4X2 SuperCab Styleside 8' Box will replace STX 4X2 SuperCab Styleside 6-1/2' Box

You can only get that payload with XL Supercab with an 8 foot bed. The above was from the Ford site.

#24 ·
Derwud said:
-> Engine: 5.4L 3V EFI V8 will replace 4.6L EFI V8
-> XL 4X2 SuperCab Styleside 8' Box will replace STX 4X2 SuperCab Styleside 6-1/2' Box

You can only get that payload with XL Supercab with an 8 foot bed. The above was from the Ford site.
Thanks Derwud!

You are a wealth of information! Does it make any diff if I only make 4 or 5 trips a year hauling the 5th wheel, max mileage one way 500 miles? rest of the year in town and country on business not hauling anything! How would those tires karle mentioned affect the payload capacity?
Many thanks for your info! My wife says she hopes the Titan can do the job because she says "I hate that ugly looking Ford that we tested" [ F150 4x4 Lariat loaded}.

#25 ·
I'm sure Karl will agree, but those tires will help a lot. With a 5th wheel, you might want to consider air bags.

#26 · (Edited)
campsmoke said:
Hi karle

What effect would putting a set of LT-Load range E's have on the payload capacity of the King Cab LE 4x4? Does this application increase the payload capacity? My 2000 Tundra had no problem with my current payload! Surely the Titan could Handle it! But I do not want to make a mistake at this point! I notice that the 2004- F150 has a payload capacity of 2,690 lbs. What up with that?
Like Darryl said, when it comes to comparing the cargo capacity to the Ford you have to compare apples to apples. For example, crew cab to super crew capacities are almost identical. The same probably goes for king cab to super cab.

The LT tires will provide increased load carrying ability and stability. I hate telling people to go out and get things they think they may not need (as everyone has there own comfort levels) but you have a lot of weight to pull around and you're going to need all of the safety and stability you can get. For example, although the manual says the capacity on my SE is 1485 lbs, the tire safety sticker on the side of my door said not to exceed 1200 lbs. I think you will be fine, just put as much in your trailer as possible (i.e., the wife, kids, toys, etc...just kidding!).

Karl