Nissan Titan Forum banner

Headlights dimming

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  mbquart1 
#1 ·
Hi,

I just recently replaced my dead Polk PA D5000.5 amp with a Alpine PDX-V9 and now my headlights dim every time the bass hits. It did this with the Polk amp but I replaced my battery with a Optima yellow and it went away.

Any suggestions?

#2 ·
Hi,

I just recently replaced my dead Polk PA D5000.5 amp with a Alpine PDX-V9 and now my headlights dim every time the bass hits. It did this with the Polk amp but I replaced my battery with a Optima yellow and it went away.

Any suggestions?

Larger output alternator or dual battery setup

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: love1u0
#4 ·
Cheapest route would be a capacitor. Id do atleast a 2.0 farad cap. Theyre hella on amazon

#6 ·
How much power is that amp pulling?

I know I had a ton ton of draw back when I had my Soundstream 2500 D in the Titan.

Also what size power wire are you running? Just wondering.

I eventually switched to HIDs for headlights and didn't have dimming after that. The ballast for the lamps helped I assume.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#7 ·
First of all. Love the pulse album cover.

Make sure all your battery connections are good.
Get your battery tested. Optima, in my experience, doesn't last long and are not as strong as everyone thinks.

#8 ·
At the battery with the truck running I have 14.3 volts.

I used 4 gauge wire for the power and ground. The amp is under the passenger seat and i have it grounded under one of the seat bolts, with all the paint stripped off.

That was a good cd :)

#9 ·
The new amp likely has better capacity to handle the instantaneous peak levels of power required for the low notes, thus it requires more power from the battery/alternator - more current drain. The solution is a smaller amp or increase battery/alternator capacity. Replacing the battery with a higher capacity unit (more amps) or use a parallel battery set up is probably the easiest solution.

Your amplifier is likely trying to draw well over 100 amps for the heavy bass notes, thus the lights dim under this load as the battery/alternator is unable to sustain that amount of current even for a short period of time. (capacitors are worthless under these load conditions)

#10 ·
Voltage ar the battery with the truck running just shows the alternator voltage. Get the battery load tested. It has to be able to provide the current you need while not letting the voltage go to low.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.