Nissan Titan Forum banner

Problem with backup camera installation

6K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  eakes 
#1 ·
I am trying to finish up installing a backup camera on my 2011 Titan...The camera is mounted, the AV wire runs to the head unit. The power is spliced into the reverse lights. The reverse light had 2 black wires and one red wire. the power plug had a red and black wire. the red went to the red on the reverse light and the black went to one of the black wires on the reverse light.

The head unit is a JVC KW-NT3HDT and the AV wire plugs into the back. The camera works when i am in AV mode and put it in reverse, but the problem is that it doesnt come on automatically when I throw it in reverse. I have to switch it to AV then put it in reverse and the camera comes on. then when I switch back to radio and back to AV again, it doesnt pick up the signal. Not sure whats going on.

What did I do wrong? the KW-NT3HDT does have a purple reverse gear signal wire but i am not sure what it does or where the other end goes.

any help is appreciated, thank you

#4 ·
The HU needs to know when you have switch into reverse, hence the 'reverse wire'. Connect that wire to the Red wire going to your camera and it will 'know'.

I don't know the JVC setup but my Pioneer needs to know (via setup menu) the 'sense' for reverse (either 12v or GND - use 12v).

#6 ·
Going off memory, Red/Blue (Red with Blue stripe), should be your "Hot" or "12vdc" lead. Black wires should be ground - they can daisy chain the grounds - and have done in your case.

As for the Green / White lead - I'll go look at mine in a bit and refresh my memory - I might even snap a pic if it will help.

#8 ·
We tried the red wire to the red/blue and grounded the back, but the camera did not power. Then we cut the one black wire and hooked it to that (thats the oops in the picture) and again nothing. then only when we spliced the other black wire is when the camera worked. kind of confused about that part.

I appreciate the picture whenever you get a change. it would help alot

#7 ·
Those wire nuts are a bad idea. Not good for an automotive environment. They also are not weatherproof. Solder and heat shrink would be best. Of not use butt splices and seal them with silicon.

#10 ·
Rtv

#13 ·
I did that, i ran the purple wire to the same wire that powers the camera in the reverse light in the back. I ran the wire outside the cab to just test it. Funny thing was that the camera didnt work, and when i put it in park, it went into camera mode and when i put it in Reverse, it put the radio back on. Why?

Also, here are pics of the wires i have available. The passenger side kick panel has these wires (the first 2 pics are passenger)

and the drivers side has these wires (last 2 pics).

There are green/White wires but not sure if these are the ones.

Attachments

#14 ·
The easiest way to locate the proper wire is with a voltmeter. Check for 12v between the wire and ground when switched into Reverse and 0 volts in any other position.

In Settings there should be a setting for 'camera sense' (or words to that effect). The options should be 12v or gnd. It needs to be set for 12v.

As to your temporary connection that can weird results: check your wiring and make sure connections are good. You need 12v to the backup light with the transmission in reverse and 0v in all other transmission positions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.