Nissan Titan Forum banner

Replaced Factory Subwoofer but not getting results I should.

8K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  kmccb23 
#1 ·
I have the Rockford system and just replaced the factory Sub with a kit from tech12volt. It sounds worse than the factory sub did, not bashing the equipment as others have had great results, I assume I have an issue somewhere and any help would be appreciated.

I installed the 10" sub in the factory location and used a loc connected to the factory sub wires. I installed the amp under the passenger seat. I had to turn the loc up to about 3/4 before I got much of any bass but it is not the nice deep bass I was looking for it actually sounds worse than factory, not sure where I went wrong.

#2 ·
Have you done anything like this before?

Mixing up +/- can make a huge difference in the car audio world. I'd try that.

#3 ·
I am not the most knowledgable on this stuff, but here is a shot.

I think a LOC needs to be tapped from the speaker wires, or possibly before the factory amp. By installing the LOC from the factory sub wires the signal has already been changed once and the LOC may not have the right input signal type.

I have helped a couple friend with DIY stereo installs. One had a sub pre out which made life easy. The other I helped with we used a LOC and spliced into the speaker outputs on the back of the stereo.

#4 ·
Yes I have done a few installs before but is has been several years ago, this the first time using a loc, which is where I think my problem might be, I used the color chart for the wires on here but maybe that was not accurate information. Anyone know the color code on the factory subwoofer wires?

#5 · (Edited)
You can't use an LOC with the RF system. The amp has XOver and equalization for the factory sub that doesn't sound right for the aftermarket, so you can't use the sub output. The front and rear speakers have XOvers and EQ designed for them so you can't tap in there.. You are also getting any distortion the factory amp has. You have to get a clean signal from before the amp. It's already line level between the HU and amp so you can't use an LOC there

#6 ·
I'm kinda interested in this process as well. I gave up my subs with my last T and I am not really impressed with the rf sub. So if I pull the deck out and tap directly off the wires from it, they should be line level already? Do you even need the LOC? Couldn't you tap that with rca's and have it almost as an after market with low level outs? I don't really want to change out my deck at this point like I did on my last one. The RF in my 15 really has most of what I'm looking for. The nightmare of getting all the factory stuff to play nice with the aftermarket deck will be saved for such a time that it dies or something really spectacular would emerge, but next to Bluetooth manufacturers haven't brought anything overwhelming to the market in a while and even that is not without its caveats. At high volume the audio degradation from the compression really comes through.

#9 ·
Wire Cable Electrical wiring Electrical connector Technology

That's what I suggest. That's for '12 and older. 13 and up is similar

Reactions: tuts
#11 ·
I can build them if you wanna cover the cost of the parts and shipping..

You unplug the factory harness from the radio and plug this in. The factory harness plugs in the other end and you have RCAs

Reactions: tuts
#12 ·
mbquart1 I would take one of your harnesses for a 2013, how much and how would you like me to pay?

The harness behind the factory deck has always been my plan but though I could use the loc until I got around to getting into the dash. I unplugged one of the RCAs and sounds much better so must have one of the wires reversed on the loc, will be tomorrow before I will have time to take the seat back out and check.

#13 ·
That doesn't work for an '08? Boo, I'd take one.

#14 ·
Yep. That's what I had when I figured it out

Reactions: Walrus
#16 ·
Itrice, to your original question: I'm running an LOC off my sub wires. I don't know if the wires will be the same with 5 years difference between our trucks, but I could pull my seat this weekend and check what's connected where if you want.

#17 ·
If you have a RF, It will not work correctly with an LOC.

The harness will work on any year

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.