Nissan Titan Forum banner

AVIC Z1 Owners, Any Install Tips?

3K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  troutspinner 
#1 ·
I finally pulled the trigger and ordered an AVIC-Z1. I previously had a car computer and though flexible and fun it also comes with headaches at times. I thought I'd be happy just going back to a stock 6 disc MP3 changer (non-RF)and run an Inno for XM but I miss the navigation and bells and whistles so rather than re-inventing the wheel I'll just spend the cash and get a product from a company who knows a tad bit more than I do. :)

Anyways, I've read pretty much everything here about locating the necessary wires I'll need and poured through avic411 about the work-arounds but when it comes down to install day is there anything you guys who have already installed this unit experienced I should be aware of?

It should be as simple as connecting the wiring from the Z1 harness to a metra adapter and simply plug it into the existing radio connectors as well as separately connecting the speed, e-brake (still not sure on this one, depends on man. date and workaround) and reverse wire. Remove the brackets from the existing radio and fasten them to the Z1 and then screw in the unit and put on my new XE radio bezel. Somewhere in there I'll find a place to put the XM add-on as well as locate the mic and GPS and XM pucks but this all sounds too easy!

Is there anything else I should be aware of? Will the brackets align correctly or am I going to have to dream something up? Are the "extra" wires a pain to get to and require more than just removing the underside of the dash?

I did not order a PAC-SWI adapter, does anyone here have any experience with this? I do not use the steering wheel controls often (use to the computer) so I did not order one yet but is it a worthy addition?

Thanks for any and all help. I know I am being thorough here but the truth is though I have installed a carputer the parts were left-overs or minimal expense and I've never dumped anywhere near $1700.00 on a head unit before. Come to think of it, I've never dumped that much on a complete audio system.

Thanks,

troutspinner

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
No replies, hasn't anyone done their own install? I thought there were?

Anyways, I installed mine today and just as a helpful post to anyone looking to do this down the road there are a couple of tidbits I'd like to mention that may help. Those tidbits being the wiring and the mounting brackets.

The basic stereo wiring is straight forward as I thought, could not be easier. The only wiring difficulties were the wire for the GPS and the wire for the Speed. Refer to this post for where the wire for the speed is located. http://www.titantalk.com/forums/tit...hu-navigation-wires.html?highlight=speed+wire

If you are not savy at wiring diagrams the layman's terms is remove the cover from your instrument panel above your steering wheel. Be careful, you will need to clear the mileage reset knob and steering wheel cover. Removing the steering wheel cover is preferred but with a little patience is can be skipped. Unplug the dim and and cargo light switches and get the cover out of the way. Loosen 4 bolts (one at each corner) of the instrument cluster and pull gently towards you revealing a connector on the upper right side mentioned in the above link. On that connector you will find the Red/White wire as mentioned, splice into it and put it back together.

FYI, the above link spells out the reverse and emergency brake wire nicely. I did not require the emergency brake as the unit I received was a Sept. 06 model and grounding the E-brake wire full time is part of the security by-pass.

Onto the GPS wire. I ran my GPS through my 3rd brake light. Since that is a preferred position for most just be aware that you only have so many feet of wire to work with. I ran my wire across the head liner above the window towards the passenger side then down to the floor, then up the door sill and by time I got to the radio I was a little short. Cutting over in front of the passenger seat from the sill under the rug gave me just enough to work with. I would imagine if you had a crew cab you would definitely be short doing it along the path I did.

Finally the brackets. I used the brackets from the stock radio. When first attaching the brackets the perforations in them line up in a nice natural spot on the radio. Not knowing any better I screwed them on and continued to install the unit. After putting the XE bezel faceplate on, the radio was too high and too deep. I removed the radio and moved the bracket to the next hole down and next hole back, re-installed and perfect. Simply an oversight but like I said, those perferations just make the brackets slip right into position just like they do on the stock radio. Also, with the brackets in the correct position you wil only be able to use the two most forward screw holes on the bracket, plenty strong enough.

Enough ramblings from me, I hope someone finds this useful.

troutspinner

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.